LegacyGT.com

sti transmission swap

so this morning i lost second gear in my 98 lgt. and was wondering about a sti transmission swap i heard that you have to swap out the clutch to make it a push or pull clutch. could i just swap the gear box or would i have to go this way this is my daily driver and a do drive pretty hard at times so id need a stronger transmission

you would have to swap the rear diff with one of the proper ratio (the STi is not a direct bolt in) and a few other things too (IIRC mounts are different), as well as get a DCCD controller if you want full functionality. If you are breaking a 5MT with an EJ25 you are driving it wrong. more than likely it just wore out, but if you did break it, try not driving so hard, they are not designed to be dropping the clutch and whatnot. if you want an upgrade that is a bit easier, look for a WRX 5MT. stronger but not as pricy (you're looking at a few grand for a 6MT).

ok so with the wrx 5mt is there alot of conversions that need to be done i know ive been beating on the tranny to hard i have a stage 1 clutch in it so i suspect thats part of the reason why it went all the other gears are fine but theres nothing in second

doing a 5mt from a wrx or legacy would be much easier and cheaper. as long as your rear end ratio is the same as the donor trans then you are good to go. you may need different front axles as your old box may use inner axels stubs. if you find a rear diff and trans pairing, you will be able to add a rear lsd to your car as well.

If you do what the open up your transmission you can go with a different gear sets, such as RA gear set, 06 WRX gears or even the 09 WRX gears. You will still need a supporting diff for the matching gear sets but you will now know the condition of the tranny rather than putting something in that has a not that known history.

Archived