LegacyGT.com

Second wheel bearing...Waiting for the next to go..

Ridgeracer

Well today I replaced the left front wheel bearing. Car has 131K miles. It was totally trashed. Massive play and bearing totally destroyed. The first one to go was the left rear. Right now I suspect the right front is worn too but I'll confirm when I get it up to highway speeds. Man this is getting expensive.
"Gimme mines Balboa...Gimme mines".....Clubber Lang - Mr. T

Just a tip for anyone who thinks they have a faulty wheel bearing. The rear bearings on these cars make the typical humming noise that increases with speed. The front bearing might only make an audible noise over bumps but will make noise in fast corners. The outside wheel in a corner will have the most load so if it's bad you will hear it. I guess someone can find an empty parking lot and drive in circles also for a quiet place to test. Also depending on how bad, it will cause vibrations in the steering wheel for front bearings.
"Gimme mines Balboa...Gimme mines".....Clubber Lang - Mr. T

• Mega Users
didn't the 07s get new bearings all around? I replaced my rr in the summer at 60k miles, but thats only because I sideswiped a granite curb going like 30mph 2 years before
"Remember Danny - Two wrongs don't make a right but three rights make a left."

I'm getting ready to replace my right rear for the 4th or 5th time. pretty frustrating....I don't understand what the problem is.

one theory out there was if you had a bent rim (I do have one that is slightly bent) that it is causing the bearing to go bad. However I don't believe this theory because if it was true then wouldn't all my bearings go bad since I rotate my tires every 3k?

258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

What the hell is it with wheel bearings these days? On my 2008 Hyundai Santa Fe, I had THREE fail between 60-70K miles. One rear and both front. I had a local independent shop replace them @ about $500 a piece. They all failed within a few months of each other. The rear got so LOUD in the matter of one day I had to wear earplugs on the way home from work with it. I was the second owner of the beast, so my warranty was up at 60K.

Joel

at ~80k miles i replaced all four on mine with cheap wheel bearings. 5-6k later they slowly started getting bad again. this time with timken, hopefully all is well.

btw i did 4 wheel bearings in 4hrs, i think i'm getting pretty good LOL. its a pretty simple procedure really.

Some are definitely easier than others to replace.

The rears were a nightmare on my Hyundai, which is why I had a shop do them. For the rears, you couldn't get to the bolts that held the bearing hubs to the knuckles. You basically had to drop the rear knuckles down to gain clearance. That- and parts store replacement hubs are ~$250/ea. :(

• 1 month later...

Archived