LegacyGT.com

Caliper piston fell out...how do I put it back?

gianspi

Solution: Use a c-clamp to gently push the piston back in, being careful not to let any dirt/debris in the system. Then bleed the brake system to get out any air, playing special attention to the problem caliper. (Thanks mickey, xenonk, turnin, magnus, weiner!)

I was trying to replace my front pads and one of the caliper pistons fell out. A little brake fluid came out with it. This really sucks since I have a road trip tomorrow. Can anyone tell me the easiest way of getting the caliper piston back in?

Please be as detailed as possible, step by step; I did mess up a pad replacement overall :rolleyes:

Thank you!

enough zip ties and duct tape will fix anything.

you well probaly need to unbolt the caliper or crack open the bleeder to release pressure on the piston. you should be able to push it in. make sure it is square in the bore or it wont go in. and for gods sake dont try to forcw it with that c-clamp
never, under any circumstances, take sleeping pills at the same time as a laxative.

Hi Magnus. No, I didn't try to force it. I re-aligned the piston and this time it went in smoothly. I was able to finished installing the front pads just fine.

Unfortunately, a bigger problem has occured. When I was done with installing the new front pads, I pumped the brakes with the car off. I turned the car on, and the brake pedal felt as light as my clutch. The car won't stop now. It only stops a little if the brake pedal is fully pressed in. Do you know what might cause this?

Edit: I just checked the brake fluid level, and it was just under the MIN. I filled it to just under the MAX level. But the pedal stills feels feather light and barely brakes.

Thanks,

Gian

:eek: I am sitting here reading this thread in total disbelief:confused:

Why would someone attempt to tackle a job they do not have the knowledge to perform, and of all the systems to mess with....brakes:spin: ? At least if it were the engine, well it just won't start....but the brakes, you could kill yourself, or worse take other's with you!!!

OP, and I say this with sincerity, PLEASE leave the car alone! Have a mechanic or someone knowledgeable in servicing a hydraulic braking system complete the job you started.

I don't want any part of trying to walk you through the rest of this job. It is too important, and if done wrong can be disastrous....

By pushing the piston all the way out you have introduced air into that line. Depending upon how much air is in there you could have a lot. You will need to properly bleed the system, paying particular attention to that corner of the car.

Also, because your fluid went below the min level you may have introduced air into the master cylinder. A pain to bleed with it all on the car, but still doable. You will need a friend with a stout leg to help you with this.

If you don't know how to bleed the system shoot me a PM to follow up here, and I will run through the process.

-Clint

:eek: I am sitting here reading this thread in total disbelief:confused:

Why would someone attempt to tackle a job they do not have the knowledge to perform, and of all the systems to mess with....brakes:spin: ? At least if it were the engine, well it just won't start....but the brakes, you could kill yourself, or worse take other's with you!!!

OP, and I say this with sincerity, PLEASE leave the car alone! Have a mechanic or someone knowledgeable in servicing a hydraulic braking system complete the job you started.

I don't want any part of trying to walk you through the rest of this job. It is too important, and if done wrong can be disastrous....

Well put and my thoughts exactly! That is one system you CANNOT leave up to chance!

Well put and my thoughts exactly! That is one system you CANNOT leave up to chance!

My thoughts on this too, brakes are easy if you know what you are doing. I definantly wouldnt risk not being able to stop to try and save a few bucks.

Amy

04 FXT vf39 5mt

mickey, turner, xenonk, mwiener: Thank you! Bleeding the system fixed everything! Thank you for much for your help.

edmundu, lami, mspro, waxi: I agree 100% with you. Unfortunately, due to the extremely horrific circumstances that occurred during my recent (and last) dealer/mechanic visit, I have set to do my own work. I read over the vacation pics and read up on many threads. I was completely confident, except the piston problem threw me off guard. Lesson learned.

mickey, turner, xenonk, mwiener: Thank you! Bleeding the system fixed everything! Thank you for much for your help.

edmundu, lami, mspro, waxi: I agree 100% with you. Unfortunately, due to the extremely horrific circumstances that occurred during my recent (and last) dealer/mechanic visit, I have set to do my own work. I read over the vacation pics and read up on many threads. I was completely confident, except the piston problem threw me off guard. Lesson learned.

I have a dear friend who repeats the following mantra "If you thought it was simple, you simply didn't understand".

Sometimes the best lessons are the ones we learn the hard way. I'm sure you'll remember that one. The hope is we don't kill ourselves or anyone else in the process.

Hurray for the forum and the help you got. Glad you've got brakes again!

-Zin

06 LGT LTD GRP 5MT

07 FXT LTD OBP 4EAT

I have a dear friend who repeats the following mantra "If you thought it was simple, you simply didn't understand".

Sometimes the best lessons are the ones we learn the hard way. I'm sure you'll remember that one. The hope is we don't kill ourselves or anyone else in the process.

Hurray for the forum and the help you got. Glad you've got brakes again!

I agree with that mantra to a certain degree. On the other hand, when I look most of the car mechanics around, I realize that if they can do it, I can too.

gianspi made one crucial error here, he tried to bleed the brakes when the calipers weren't mounted properly. DON'T DO THAT.

Otherwise, I think he deserves kudos for making the effort. Brakes are easy to work on and one of the biggest rip off areas for dealers.

Only because there is a huge liability for a small error.

meh

- you've still got three other brakes if you make a small error.

- what kind of small error could there be?

- A small error will very likely be obvious on a test drive

- brakes are really easy to fix (what he did notwithstanding).

*shrug*

I fix my own brakes (and other stuff on my car) because the dealer would charge about $300 in labor. I like the idea of paying myself $100/hr or so tax free.

Brakes are easy to work on and one of the biggest rip off areas for dealers.

agreed. The quote I got from my dealer to do a front set of brakes and rear pads was $600 (front calipers, rotors and pads all around plus new fluid). Time needed? Book rate = 5 hours at $125/hr. Actual time to do the work? About 2 hours of my untrained time included bleeding.

agreed. The quote I got from my dealer to do a front set of brakes and rear pads was $600 (front calipers, rotors and pads all around plus new fluid). Time needed? Book rate = 5 hours at $125/hr. Actual time to do the work? About 2 hours of my untrained time included bleeding.

Not to mention the dealer charges full price for parts and almost never turns the rotors. They always want to swap new rotors in regardless of how much meat is on them.

it kind of tees me off how some people can jump all over someones ass over a simple mistake. the guy obviously made a mistake,and was smart enough to at least ask the forum what he should do next. i'm sure the fist thing he did when got it together the first time, was take it for a small test drive at low speeds. i'm sure he did'nt get very far before he figured out that something was wrong ,and that he should head back and look at it again. some of you people ack like the first thing he did was to jump on the nearest higthway at top speed to test out his new pads.sheeeesh....:rolleyes: good job on getting your brakes sorted out gianspi, hope tou have a good road trip.
never, under any circumstances, take sleeping pills at the same time as a laxative.

it kind of tees me off how some people can jump all over someones ass over a simple mistake. the guy obviously made a mistake,and was smart enough to at least ask the forum what he should do next. i'm sure the fist thing he did when got it together the first time, was take it for a small test drive at low speeds. i'm sure he did'nt get very far before he figured out that something was wrong ,and that he should head back and look at it again. some of you people ack like the first thing he did was to jump on the nearest higthway at top speed to test out his new pads.sheeeesh....:rolleyes: good job on getting your brakes sorted out gianspi, hope tou have a good road trip.

If I came across like that, I didn't mean to. Like I said, I think he deserves credit for trying the job in the first place. He made a mistake like we all do and showed the intelligence to fix his mistake.

I once twisted a rear piston off its internal track (it was a caliper with the parking brake built in) because I twisted the piston the wrong way. Luckily, I was able to get it back together once I realized my mistake.

sh1t happens.

Archived