LegacyGT.com

Collision Avoidance Issue during test drive

PittCaleb

First, I come from a Subaru family, my father driving 3 of them to the ground before I purchased my first, an '01 Outback which I put 125k on before upgrading to a 3-row SUV for the growing family.

It's time to get my wife a new sedan and we test drove a fully loaded 4-cyl Legacy Sedan on Saturday. It had the collision avoidance package installed which should slow/stop us approaching a vehicle with a closing rate of under 20 MPH as well as provide lane departure warning. I would presume this system is "always on." Note the salesman was in the car with us during the drive.

Long and short is neither system worked at all. I had to brake to avoid hitting parked cars along our route (3x) - coming into them at 10 MPH, it wasn't alerting me or slowing/stopping at all, I had to stomp on the brakes and we stopped inches from hitting them. Similarly, we were driving on a 2-lane double-yellow marked road and lane departure did not work. Approaching the dealership, on a 4-lane road, with a well painted solid white line to our right, I drifted over it without any warnings either.

Sadly, the salesman only offered:

1 - I should trust it - but refused to allow me to test it with him in his new showroom car even at 10 MPH. I mean it works or it doesn't, yes?

2 - The lane departure didn't work due to "poor lighting at dusk" - my wife chimes back, "Isn't dusk and dark exactly when you would want it to work?"

We weren't able to test the adaptive cruise control.

So... thoughts? I love Subaru's and in 2013, I want every technological advantage I can get on a new car.

Subaru's sell in spite of their salesmen. My experience in Ann Arbor was atrocious - even told Subaru about it - but I knew the vehicle and bought it anyway. The dealership here in NJ is just as bad - the showroom rots, the sales staff know little/nothing about their own cars. What's up with this?

Help is greatly appreciated.

PittCaleb

Archived