LegacyGT.com

oil change question

Depends on what you consider a lil bit. Change it whenever you hit 3k just to be safe, even if it hasn't been 3 months. I wouldn't go any more than 1,000 over the suggested oil change mileage.

A friend of mine has an 04 Forester 2.5xs and she has gone 6,000 miles without changing her oil. Yikes, poor car.

oil changing fetishes

:lol::lol::lol:

OCI has been discussed to death on the forum. There are many opinions so read up on them and just do which makes most sense to you. For what's worth, I do my own oil change and I do them every 5000 miles with Mobile1.

Hi everyone!

I am new here.

Regarding oil change. If your car is new or if you don't drive it much you can go upto 4,000 without oil change. But in your case, I wouldn't wait to avoid maintenance problems later.

The important thing here is that many cold starts are causing a lot more strain on the engine and oil than if you do long distance driving, so if you live in a city and take the car to work 2 miles away every day you should change oil more frequent than if you live in the countryside with 30 miles to work. In city conditions you also have a lot more start/stop driving like traffic lights etc. that causes more strain and contaminates the oil further.

Towing trailers will also increase the strain and require more frequent changes. A turbocharger is a really mean device when it comes to oil due to it's high temperatures and RPM:s. It can build coke, especially if you don't let it cool down a bit before stopping the engine. A few manufacturers have been solving this by adding an extra electrical oil pump to flush the turbo with some cool oil after the engine is stopped, but today it seems to be a bit excessive.

And you should anyway change the oil at least once per year to make sure that it's reasonably fresh. The additives loses some effect over time and the oil will not be as good as when it was new.

Also check the recommended interval in the owner's manual, but

driving conditions are really a factor to take into account.

And remember - black oil only means that the oil is doing it's job of absorbing contamination. But of course - it can only absorb a certain amount!

453747.png

i used to be a automotive tech, if you plan to keep your car a long time and dont drive like a 90 year old then yes i say oil change every 3k and check oil every 500-1000 miles

now if its the oppisite, you drive like grandma on sunday and engine rarely sees over 4k with minimal stop and go driving, yes go 5k, still check oil though

i change mine and my dads every 3k, letting it go to 3500 wont hurt, remember always watch your oil levels and plus as your engine gets more wear on it it will break down oil much faster so remember check it often and id reccomend no matter how you drive after 100,000 miles , every oil change should be 3k

hell my 303,000 mile car i change oil every 1500-2k but it lives a harddddddd life

Thank you Ehsnils. I am just like gsr94 baby my car a lot! I have just under 6,000 miles on it and already had 3 oil changes. I drive defensive sometimes, and at some point like an old lady..... I just love that car and want last forever.

I also used to work for Subaru not long ago and learnt a lot of things about cars I have never cared about before. One thing I know for sure - maintenance on time can save a lot of money in a long run.

Archived