LegacyGT.com

Swift springs vs ION springs

Rushin

I decided to make another thread just to split the two options i am looking at.

So right now i have ION Sport Spec front and HD rear springs. I am looking at options that will lower my car more but will keep the ride the same.

How are Swift springs compared to my current setup?

And apparently ion makes springs that lower the car more but their website has absolutely nothing. Would love to know more about these springs.

My car is an 08 spec.b.

the ions you have are nice springs , keep em and "tune" em if you want just a little lower .

cut 1/2 coil off the top of the rear spring , 1/4 off the bottom of the front , if you have never done this before , use a hacksaw w/ good blade/blades.

cutting the coil will lower the ride height as well as stiffen the spring rate , which should happen when lowering .

& w/ that a stiffer or slower rebound rate in the strut/shock or it will ride like s##t

i love the wifes cut ions !

she said stiffer is better ?

i have no idea what she is talking about .

you have personally done this? The only experience with cut springs i have is when i cut o coil off my front springs on an 02 wrx and instantly killed both from struts.

I just today talked to ION and they told me they have a nice setup for different springs that lower the car a little more and preserve the nice ride. They are 600 bucks without shipping. US dollar is so freaking low right now that the prices have gone way up.

And they would have to make a set just for me because they dont stock them.

I was quoted $550 plus shipping yesterday for '08 3.0r limited. Now I'm looking at Epic (by Fred Beans) or Rallitek reds. $550 is steep, I'm sure thier great but wow. Cutting the springs concerns me. I'll be following this thread.

i wouldn't suggest cutting springs.. they aren't ment to be cut. also, once I start looking into springs, I think Ill go with swift because I've already seen 3 lgt.com members sporting them. and their cars looked good.

Rushin - please don't cut the springs, they will void the warranty. Have you already changed your tires and lost the 0.2" of diameter? Otherwise you haven't, you can use a different tire so that sidewall height is still the same so that visually it looks the same.

Unfortunately the USD is so low right now. If there's enough interest to put together a GB for 25 sets then we can do something about the price.

phamilton - Rushin's set-up will physically fit on your car, but unfortunately won't be the optimum set-up as the rates weren't designed for the EZ30R+5EAT tranny.

i bought used ions , same thing as you have rushin , sport fr hd rr meant for and previously used on a specb . i am using them on an lgt w/ 5eat on bilstein hd's .

the rears were already cut , 1 coil off , the front i had another pair of identical springs that 1/2 coil was cut off plus the "new" ones that were uncut , same #'s printed on both sets of fronts .

i installed the cut springs , car sat nice w/ a tiny bit of rake but was too low for my taste/needs , about 1&1/2 front & 1-1&1/4 rear .

i then installed the uncut fronts w/ another set of rubber spring seats in the rear , back up where i want but w/ nice rates . the end result is 1/2-3/4 fr w/ 1/2 rear .

i also cut 1/3 of the front bumpstops in my bils hd's .

when you lower a car you should increase spring rate as well . when you cut springs the rate goes up .

jack from ion states that you should not cut the spring & doing so will void the warranty . i understand where he is coming from & respect that 100% but.....

i have been cutting springs for over 25 yrs on all sorts of vehicles & have never "gone nuts" coild bound or broken a coil so i never needed a warranty , if i even had one . i would buy stiffer springs like for a big block mustang w/ a/c and use them in an all alum small block car , if i did not cut them , the car would be raised dramticly , by cutting them i was able to "set" car where i wanted & increase the rate even more .

i know the legacy is no '60's musclecar and things work a little differently but as long as you don't get carried away ..........

by cutting these springs as i stated above they will still never coil bind & the front at least still has a bit of preload on them , cutting 1 coil of the back leaves the spring w/ no preload at all , loose , shaking w/o car weight on them , very bad thing , the main reason i stacked another spring seat into the assy , maybe cut 1/2 off the back as well , if you are going to cut .

ions have very nice rates , higher than most out there , i think that switching to another spring , you will loose performance to gain "looks" .

if i were you i would buck up & get another set of ions .

there is also a set of tommy kaira's in the classified that have nice rates , similar to your ions . i think they are a bit lower but not a whole lot .

jack........................ any input ?

• 2 weeks later...

Archived