LegacyGT.com

Summer Tires 2011

Legend

Well my old Kumho Ecsta MX's need to be retired and I'll be pulling the blizzaks off the car in March so time to start thinking about new dedicated summer tires.

My initial criteria:

Size: 225/40/18

Category: "Max", but would consider "Extreme" or "Ultra High"

Price: under $165

Weight: 23lb or less

Anybody got and great recommendations or conversely anything to avoid? Thanks.

My '05 LGT

My '07 Supercharged Shelby

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not sure what type of Summer Tire you're looking for, but the ones I look at are a step down from R-comps which are usually tires used in RTA Street class events or AutoX street tire classes.

Federal 595RSR

Yoko ADVAN AD08

BStone RE11

Kumho XS

Hankook RS3

Toyo R1R

Falken 615K

Dunlop Star Spec

HOpe that helps.

• I Donated
OP - What's so good about the Hankook's Ventus V12 EVO? You've got me intrigued - any pics?

If you read the C&D link I posted, the V12 Evo finished second, behind the Star Specs. The V12 Evo has a much higher treadwear rating, so it should last longer, and C&D loved its wet performance and had great things to say about dry performance too.

...after all, it is summer - got to be fresh! ;)

I'm not replacing mine just to be fresh. I'll offer proof of that... here is what my Kumho's looked like when I took them off around halloween:

http://beeez.com/lgt/deadtire1.jpg

(Below are my winter tires (Nov-March) in the foreground.. kick ass Blizzak LM-60's in 225/45/17 just about to start their 2nd season)

http://beeez.com/lgt/deadtire2.jpg

And yes, I got a fresh alignment done when I took the summer's off... :lol:

My '05 LGT

What do you want from your summer tires?

I'll elaborate, as I should have inititially. I don't plan on doing any track days but I want to be in good shape if I change my mind. (I've got new rotors for the Stoptechs in the garage waiting to go on too. ;)

But.. I want something sticky and good for a potential track day. More importantly, I want a light-weight tire. I dragrace 3-4 times a year and running 18's already puts me at a rotating mass disadvantage against a lot of cars. The least I can do is get light 18's. I'm not looking for feather light or anything just if it comes down to 2 or 3 close choices and one is 2lbs less than the others, I'd probably go with the light one.

I want it to last 25-30k miles. Of course more is better.

I want it to have good wet traction. Doesn't have to be great but at least average.

As for noise and brand, I don't care much about either. Sure, quieter is better but I don't use my car for roadtrips or anything and we have 2 other cars I use more often for the family.

My '05 LGT

The 245/35-18 Hankook is 1lb lighter than the 225/40 and is slightly shorter (839 rev/mile vs. 828). Might be a good way to go if you have an 8"+ wheel with good offset. Wider patch + better gearing for torque.

I love that idea but I know 245's would be rubbing for me. My 225's are cutting it awfully close, actually.

Federal 595RS-R ($112 at onlinetires.com) is 24.6 lbs and the Ecsta XS ($144 at tirerack) is 25 lbs. Both look to kick ass at the track but might be too heavy for me and wear too fast.

The Hankook Ventus V12 EVO is the frontrunner right now. 23lbs, decent treadlife, $135 at tirerack. The close second is the BFGoodrich g-Force T/A KDW2 also coming in at 23 lbs, slightly better treadlift than the Hankook, and $143 at tirerack.

If I ultimately place a premium on weight and price, it looks like the General Exclaim UHP might be tough to beat. Just 21lbs and $109 and the best treadwear of all of them. Might be a sucky track tire... Quality is really important too so I don't want lightweight crap, but this one deserves a looking into... The only tire I've found to be that light is the Michelin Pilot Sport PS2.. also 21lbs but $265. I know it kicks butt but that is more than I want to spend.

My '05 LGT

Hankook V12 or Dunlop Star Specs

I love my Star Specs.. awesome in the rain.. amazing dry grip.. stiff sidewalls.. Last a long time.

Don't put too much into lightweight tires. Some are heavier for a reason.. mainly stiffness against sidewall rollover

I love that idea but I know 245's would be rubbing for me. My 225's are cutting it awfully close, actually.

Federal 595RS-R ($112 at onlinetires.com) is 24.6 lbs and the Ecsta XS ($144 at tirerack) is 25 lbs. Both look to kick ass at the track but might be too heavy for me and wear too fast.

The Hankook Ventus V12 EVO is the frontrunner right now. 23lbs, decent treadlife, $135 at tirerack. The close second is the BFGoodrich g-Force T/A KDW2 also coming in at 23 lbs, slightly better treadlift than the Hankook, and $143 at tirerack.

If I ultimately place a premium on weight and price, it looks like the General Exclaim UHP might be tough to beat. Just 21lbs and $109 and the best treadwear of all of them. Might be a sucky track tire... Quality is really important too so I don't want lightweight crap, but this one deserves a looking into... The only tire I've found to be that light is the Michelin Pilot Sport PS2.. also 21lbs but $265. I know it kicks butt but that is more than I want to spend.

The KDW2 are also a great tire, with good treadwear and aggressive looking. Either choice I think you will be happy with.

I don't think I could bring myself to accept the General Exclaim UHP tire. It's cheap and light but it looks like that is due to a cheap build and weak sidewalls.

Here are the tirerack.com stats on the Hankook:

Results based on 312 submissions of our online tire survey.

http://www.tirerack.com/images/reviews/SurveyTabs.gif Surveyed Averages893%7.98.18.38.48.88.3N/AN/AN/A8.78.47.91,366,440

Would You Buy This Tire Again?

Most said: "Probably" (Average of 7.9 out of 10)

Here are the tirerack.com stats on the BFGoodrich:

Results based on 1348 submissions of our online tire survey.

http://www.tirerack.com/images/reviews/SurveyTabs.gif Surveyed Averages890%7.88.38.48.99.18.9N/AN/AN/A7.66.47.812,395,587

Would You Buy This Tire Again?

Most said: "Probably" (Average of 7.8 out of 10)

It's interesting that owners of both tires don't seem too enthusiastic based on the "would you buy this tire again" responses of 7.8 and 7.9

My '05 LGT

Quickly am narrowing down. The Continental ExtremeContact DW Max Performance Summer is $156 and only 21lbs and has the #1 rating on Tirerack's site.

I'm not sure why I strayed from this initial leader in my search - the Continental. Looks a lot better for me than the Hankook and the BFGoodrich. Way better ratings than those two, 2lbs lighter than either, and better treadlife. A few more $ but still within my budget.

This guy gave a positive review.

My '05 LGT

kumho ecsta XS is the best tire for the money at $144 per tire if all you care about is performance. next would be the dunlop z1 star specs at $173 theses are 2 of the stickiest street tires on the market and 2 of the top choices for autox in the street tire class.

optimally, the tire id have is the yokohama ad08 but they are $$$$$$. I have the XS on my car now and they are very nice.

Archived