LegacyGT.com

Clunk when shifting

My car make a clunk noise some times, and i found i can get it to make the noise when im in 3rd gear at higher rpms (4k-ish). Then push the clutch in and let it out quickly. Havent tried it in other gears. So it must be something in the drive train, or i was thinking the weight transfers maybe a sway bar end link. Car is a 2005 and has 54k on it.

So my question is how much am i looking at to get at at least looked at, and what are the chances of it even being covered under warrenty. I am a ASE certified medium/heavy duty truck mechanic so doing work myself is no problem, but if i can get it covered under warrenty why not

Is there any common issues with this? Only think i have found is rear wheel bearings, and they have been replaced on my car

Don't quote me, but it is the diff moving when shifting so it would make sense that it is the tranny moving, possibly the exhaust.

All I know (after owning 4 5MT subarus) is that if you clutch out fast you will get the clunk in the rear. So try to slip it and that won't happen.

Yea, i know if i let it out slow it wont make the noise

From what i understand the front diff is built into the transmission, and there is no way for the rear to get hit by the transmission.

Exhaust seems more likely, but if there is this problem with stock exhaust you would think it would be a lot worse with any larger aftermarket set up.

I am pretty sure the front dif is part of the tranny. But I don't think it should be clunking anyway. In my '96 legacy, '99 outback, or mom's '06 outback it doesn't cluck if I dump the clutch like you described at high RPMs. The car jerks, and its probably not good for anything... But not clunking.

Archived