LegacyGT.com

Tallest Tire on 2010 Legacy

jhelmuth87

My car came stock with the boring/ugly 16" wheels. Can't afford to upgrade to 18s or 19s right now, nor can I find a set of original 2010-12 GT 18" rims right now. My stock tires are 205/60s and they're on their way out. Figured I might as well replace the tires on the stock rims. If I can't afford newer rims I might as well put a tire on the stock rims that I like. I really want to put the tallest tire on that I can fit on stock suspension. The stock 205/60s look super small on the car so I was looking to go up to 215/65 or 215/70 all terrains. Anyone know how tall I can go without any problems?

Anyone know how tall I can go without any problems?

The tallest you can go without any problems at all is 205/60.

The reason? Because then your spare tire will be too miss-matched compared to the three remaining tires on your car and could cause you some issues if you were to get a flat tire.

Having said that, some 5th gens around here have 20" wheels (which fit with some planning). There are also plenty of cars running 19" without too much trouble. So, as long as you're comfortable running your car without a spare tire, you could find some really large tires. Personally, though, I'd keep the tires close to stock up until you have the funds to drop on new wheels. The rims will still look tiny and the black tires will blend into the shadows of the wheel well, so I don't think you'll end up with quite the look you're hoping for.

• 4 weeks later...

Uh, what, basing tire size on the spare? I've had my car 10 years and never took the spare out.

The tallest tire you can fit is based on the clearance when the suspension is fully compressed. Get a jack and lift up one corner, jack points are on the side under the doors (you'll feel an indent on the weld seam). On the opposite side, measure how much room between top of the tire & the fender well (inside).

Then check out http://www.willtheyfit.com/ . Enter your current size, and the size you want to goto. The results will help figure out what to get.

When shopping tires, keep in mind shops will have a "willtheyfit" chart of their own. For insurance reasons, they may not mount the tires you want. However, you can walk in and buy any set of tires you want, then have mounted somewhere else. Likewise tirerack.com & discounttire.com will ship you tires to be mounted, too. The used tire stores will mount pretty much anything for cash.

Uh, what, basing tire size on the spare? I've had my car 10 years and never took the spare out.

Neither have I, and I have tires that are taller than stock for the winter. Clearly, the spare tire is something we've chosen to disregard for our cars.

I was simply mentioning it as a potential problem since the OP asked, "Anyone know how tall I can go without any problems?" Is it a problem? If you get a flat, yes it could be a problem. Is it a problem anyone cares about? *shrugs*

I thought I made that distinction pretty clear, particularly since the OP did not define what problems they were hoping to avoid, and the spare is pretty easy to forget about.

I also run larger tires for some time But one has to remember IF using "taller" tires and a flat occurs the car should be flat bed to where the same size tire can be installed

Actually, I have found most shops won't sell you one tire if it goes bad. The tolerance in their systems is listed at 2/32ths. Any more than that of a difference, they'll want to sell you 4 new tires.

Having a spare is to get you to the nearest facility to replace the tire, not to actually drive on for an extended period of time. If you were carrying a full size spare, instead of the standard spacesaver, you'd be rotating the spare with the regular tires to keep wear even across all 5 tires. Since no one, well almost no one, does this, the logic of basing your tires on the size of the spare is flawed.

no one plans to get a flat, but it often happens at the worst time - real late at night, bad area of town, out far from help, when you are in a rush and can't wait for the car to be towed, etc. - there are times when having a viable spare tire is pretty important...

not sure how big a difference there needs to be to damage a differential, though.

Archived