LegacyGT.com

Hey I am having a problem with my automatic stock 2010 legacy 2.5i. When I slam on the brakes the car stalls out on me. And when I come stop a shuttle stop it will bogg down but not stall out.I don't throw a check engine light and I sea foam it every other oil change. And yes I put the sea foam in the gas tank, vacuum line from the brake booster, and where you add the oil. The car has 135,000 miles on it and I haven't changed the spark plugs. But I don't think that's the problem since I'm not miss firing and throwing a check engine light. Any suggestions? I'm all ears..

Thanks,

Lego3410

Sorry I can't offer any other advice..but you should change your plugs anyway...age plus the sea foam can eat them up..

Probably not the problem and I'm sure others can chime in but plugs are easy and cheap..

'08 Legacy 2.5i - hybrid intake - delta 1000 - E85 - magnaflow exhaust

136k on one set of plugs is excessive. Start there and pull the code when it shows up next time, it should still be present if you havent reset the ECU. That will tell us a decent amount of info

Could be things like weak fuel pump or weak vacuum. Check the hose you've been pouring that seafoam into. Also, using seafoam that often your plugs might be sparkly clean and beyond worn out.

Plugs it is. I will take care of them next the nest day or two. I don't throw a CEL but when and if I do next time I agree that it will give me a better idea as to where the problem is. Thank you everyone I will post an update as soon as I can.

• 3 weeks later...

I did some research on this, and unfortunately it's likely your torque converter is bad. It sounds like subaru knows about this issue, and they redesigned the torque converter as a result. Out of curiosity I looked up how much a new torque converter costs, MSRP is $675, with online subaru parts dealers offering it for around $550.

Service Bulletin # 16-90-13 Design Change to Lock-Up Type Torque Converter Torque Converter

Bulletin Description: This bulletin announces the availability of a countermeasure torque converter assembly to address a customer concern of very low engine RPM when coming to a stop. The condition is similar to coming to a stop in a manual transmission equipped vehicle without depressing the clutch pedal. Thrust washer wear inside the torque converter torque converter can cause restriction of the oil passage used to bleed off lock-up clutch application pressure. The result is either a delayed (momentary low engine rpm) or no lock-up pressure release. The thrust washer has been changed from a solid bushing-type to a needle bearing type.

Unfortunately it does sound like my problem. Now the question is do I want to tackle this myself or not. I've done transmission swaps in my bugeye years ago but that's been awhile. And should I replace it wih a Stronger torque converter while I'm at it? I was up half the night researching if I have a 4eat or 5eat? Maybe I wasn't looking in the right places.?

• 3 months later...
No I have not replaced it yet Subaru gave me a estimate of ab 1100.00 but I've replace transmissions before on my 03 wrx! So I'd hate to pay Subaru when I could do it my self. The torque converter is ab 650 or so just for the part. With what research I have done it seems that it is the torque converter but still not 100%.

• 1 month later...

My 2011 Legacy is at the dealer having just this done.

Subaru also claims this isn't an absolute fix as sometimes the valve body needsreplaced as well.

I'll get back with the results and cost very soon if interested.

By the way my Subbie started with these symptoms at 70K not far after the warrentee expired.:eek:

Best luck

Scott

My 2010 started showing signs of it going to stall out early as well. Didn't think to much of it at the time. I mentioned it to Subaru but they just scratched their heads and check the throttle body to see I it was gummed up. Needles to say that wasn't the case. Please let me know ab how much they are going to charge you and what actually is the problem.

Thanks Charles

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Archived