LegacyGT.com

Pad and rotor upgrade advice needed

Val Demar

I'm at 35k miles and it is almost time to get new pads. I had repeat vibration problems that the dealer "fixed" by turning the rotors so likely it is a good idea to get new rotors as well. Looking for an upgrade over stock pads and rotors as their qualities didn't impress me at all. I'm more of a mildly-aggressive street driver and going to stick with the stock calipers for now. What rotor/pad combinations should I look at? I'm sure this has been asked before but I'm having problems extracting useful information from older threads, as they are just too long :spin:.

then read what i wrote above.

I have the hawk HPS with new OEM rotors. For spirit driving it is great. I also have summer tires too. But i have soem stopping powA now. it is a nice step up from stock i can tell you that. i had a goose egg on my head to prove it.

OTM.

Sorry I didn't mean to start a war which mainly forum people is all about ;).

Might i suggest hawk HPS pads with OEM rotors. a very nice combination and a upgrade over stock.

^^ Thats what i have, hawk HPS+, OEM rotors, and ATE super blue brake fluid. Got the hawk pads from tirerack.com for about 70 and the brake fluid for about 20 w/shipping. A very nice and cheap upgrade from stock.

arent they like vented or something so they should cool down better and be more resistetant to over heating?

OEM ones are vented too, the DBA's just have a slightly different vent design. Can't speak for things specifically on the Subaru, but from prior cars unless basic rotors are just crap and warp easily, pretty much all plain rotors will generally perform the same, it's the pad that makes the real difference. Biggest benefit from premium rotors is when you go to two piece ones, as those are generally lighter; but in all honesty even if you track frequently I don't think you'll notice that much of a difference.

OEM ones are vented too, the DBA's just have a slightly different vent design. Can't speak for things specifically on the Subaru, but from prior cars unless basic rotors are just crap and warp easily, pretty much all plain rotors will generally perform the same, it's the pad that makes the real difference. Biggest benefit from premium rotors is when you go to two piece ones, as those are generally lighter; but in all honesty even if you track frequently I don't think you'll notice that much of a difference.

DBA4000's are directionally vented, the OEMs are straight vents and are near useless, not an apples to apples comparison.

At the track is where the benefits of premium rotors will be noticed. Two piece rotors are vented better, will reduce the amount of heat transferred to the wheel bearings, not to mention the unsprung weight advantages.

To the OP: for street driving, OEM rotors, HPS pads, and some good fluid will work out nicely.

ignore him, he'll go away.

are the dba that much more than oem? Especially wth the deal that kop is doing, I fnd it hard to believe that the oem would still be a good value.

I thnk kop has 4 dba, 4 hps, ss lines and brake fkiud for like 600 shipped! Thats crazy cheap I think.

I thnk kop has 4 dba, 4 hps, ss lines and brake fkiud for like 600 shipped! Thats crazy cheap I think.

Troof!! Any one of KOP brake combos is at an excellant price. Don't miss out on those deals!!

My wife's balls are delicious.

Ended up ordering front DBA rotors with HPS pads form KOP, with the current special there was not that much of a difference compared to OEM rotors so I just couldn't resist :)

The shop I usually go to quoted me $180 to replace all the rotors and brake pads, rear rotors may need to be turned as I'm keeping them, front are brand new. Is this a bit steep? I figure for a shop it is 2hrs labor max with all the tools and experience, the rate of $90/hr seems excessive, this is what dealer would charge. If not the lack of free time I'd rather do it myself, but unfortunately will have to have someone do it.

Where are OEM rotors had for "dirt cheap"?

If you go to www.kingofparts.com you will find the rotors for 62.00ea.

That is one of the cheapest places to get OEM or aftermarket parts, and they will match anyone

If you look at my post above I have some rear rotors with factory pads for sale for around 35ea (with the factory pads) and they have less than 7000 miles on them if you are interested.

Axis Ulltimates. Those are the best street-pads I've used. Dusty, but if you are wanting the best stopping, go for those. :
SOLD | '06 spec.B - VF52/AVO/740cc/Up/Down | 238awhp | 50-80mph 3.1 seconds.

Axis Ulltimates. Those are the best street-pads I've used. Dusty, but if you are wanting the best stopping, go for those. :

opinions and a$$holes... blah blah blah, but I found them to be noisy and dusty. One of my least favorite street pads.

ignore him, he'll go away.

opinions and a$$holes... blah blah blah, but I found them to be noisy and dusty. One of my least favorite street pads.

And I've yet to see a "street" pad stop as well. Quiet as can be for me. :)

SOLD | '06 spec.B - VF52/AVO/740cc/Up/Down | 238awhp | 50-80mph 3.1 seconds.

Archived