LegacyGT.com

05 legacy with 174000

Mpho5643

Should I consider buying a used legacy 2.5 gt. Auto transmission. 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Limited w/ 173K Miles. He is the second owner vehicle that has all service records on the it's clean, NO ACCIDENT, carfax. The drives very smoothly and has a powerful 2.5L all wheel drive that is amazing in the snow. The timing belt was replaced. The body is very clean with no dings and a couple of minor scratches. Asking 5000.

You're thoughts please, should I go with this or save and finance on a 2008 subaru legacy 3.0r limited 12,000 with 98,000 miles on her. I go to school and work part time.

Don't do it.

Honestly, with that many miles and a change in driver, especially if you're younger and going to beat on it (read: enjoy driving it), it's going to be nothing more than a flashy money pit on wheels in about six months.

School and working only part time don't necessarily lend to having a fair bit of disposable income. Unless of course, you happen to have money you didn't have earmarked for anything else important, then, go for it!

Take a good look around the forums and see what many folks are doing with their cars -- there's quite a few engine rebuilds and major work being done, along with the usual stuff, but, I'll tell you up front -- Engine rebuilds are at least what you're considering paying for the car. So, consider when you're making the purchase now -- In six months to a year, will you have the time and money to buy your car again when it needs major mechanical work?

And then of course, there's the mod bug, which, if you're here, you've kinda already got. First and best upgrade is the Cobb AccessPort. That's $595 for the previous version, and $695 for the newest one that just came out recently. It's the only way to change your performance settings on the fly, as well as diagnose any trouble codes you may encounter, and opens up the tuning options greatly. You'll want a new downpipe, uppipe, and probably exhaust. That's a couple thousand right there by the time you get done with it, and those are just extras -- You need to put premium in these cars, and give them good oil, regularly. Speaking of -- Your previous owners -- did they ever use anything less than 91 octane in that car? What kind of oil? The receipts should show that they've used top-of-the-line fluids since day one and haven't cheaped out on anything for it. The maintenance is key, and having all the documentation to prove it is good for a sale later, but, none of that will matter if it wasn't done by a shop/someone who knows Subarus and has experience with these kind of turbo cars.

I'm not trying to scare you off -- Promise! But if someone had told me that six months after buying my car, I'd be needing to do major engine work --up to, and including engine rebuild/replacement -- if I wanted to keep it and make it faster than it already was, I'd be grateful.

Think about what you're really wanting to do with this car -- If you think you want a nicer DD that's got some get-up-and-go, and you don't mind paying a little extra for such a privilege, then it should be a fine ride for 5k. But, if you think you want to add lots of go-fast bits and such, you're better off finding something with lower miles that isn't (shouldn't) need a major mechanical overhaul for at least another 100k miles.

Either way, bring lots of cash. You're gonna need it.

It sounds like a lot of miles to me. Even of the engine is sound the suspension, bushings, exhaust are probably all due to be replaced as are the brake, trans, power steering fluids. You would need to look through the service history closely to see what and when everything was done to the car. It might be cheaper to spend more on a car that will need less over the next 50k miles.

With that said my 2005 LGT manual just hit 90k miles and still drives like a new car, so these things are pretty durable with regular upkeep.

The 3.0 is going to cost less in the long run.

The 173k LGT is going to be due for another timing belt soon, and you don't want that headache. Plus, who knows the status of the turbo- if it stock, been replaced, and for what reason was it being replaced.

If the LGT was down below 130k miles, then maybe a more serious contender- but not with 173k- it's just begging for some serious work.

For $2200 -- that's about what it's worth, considering what you'll have to put into it in order for it to become a driveable, reliable, performance car again.

New sb ~2k

New turbo 650 (used) - 1200 (new)

Plus other parts you'll want to replace along the way, and then of course, labor if you're not doing the work yourself -- You'd be right about 5-7k if you do it right, and depending on the condition of the body and interior, that's about what an '05 in average or better condition is worth. YMMV.

What do you mean by ticks?

Where are you located? You should check out east coast swappers in Connecticut. They specialize in Subarus and in performance engine swaps. The prices they have on their site are fair. I spoke with them about some clutch work on my LGT. They were a little too far away for that, but I would go there for a rebuild or swap.

you need to know the service history, I picked up my GT with 157k miles that needed a short block treatment, the previous owner installed a new 16g turbo and complimenting parts. I replaced short block water pump oil pump oil cooler oil pick up timing belt all gaskets, redid the heads ect, im sure i have another 100k miles on her easily

Incredibly rare!!

Stamford subaru is great, I have them do all my really important work. Colonial subaru in Danbury on the other hand is the worst. I went there a few times for work and they were horrible both in terms of service and knowlage about subarus.

Well, if this helps, 8 months ago I was in the same situation. 185k on the clock, 2005, automatic transmission. Paid 5k for it, put about 2-3 in it, and couldn't be happier. If you're prepared to spend a little extra to get everything right (which you most likely will do to any used car you will ever buy) you won't regret it at all. I'm completely happy with mine and I'd do it over again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes thanks for you guys input on the car with tick. I came across another dealer selling for 5k even. A subaru legacy 2.5 gt automatic with : 112,268. Is there something I should be afraid of on such a low price. Especially with those miles. Ad said everything clean inside and out. I'm going to ask for cam/shaft. Water pump. Timing belt. Turbo replacements. What else should I look for besides leakages. Thank you guys ;)

Archived