LegacyGT.com

Hook up amplified sub to OEM sub harness?

abakja1

With greater volume comes greater current draw.......... you can tap a LOC (Line Out Converter) into the low-level signal from the radio, as well as tap into the ignition lead for your remote.

Current draw is an issue with the 12v+ (power) and 12v- (ground), the wire and source will not handle the load. It's like screwing a 100 watt bulb into a 30 watt rated lamp............and man has created fire. :lol:

I would recommend staying away from the factory harness unless you plan to install an alternative "underseat" powered woofer. Even then, I say tap the LOC and ignition at the radio, power at the battery (fused), and ground to the chassis as close to the amp as possible (scrape the paint).

Don't take chances here, you would be straining the system and asking for trouble. Do a proper install and you won't be disappointed.:)

Several people have connected to the stock sub T-harness without any problems. This harness adapter helped...

http://img225.imageshack.us/img225/8504/subwooffwdharnangfw2.th.jpg

There may be exceptions, but if you go with a sub that fits under one of the front seats, it probably doesn't draw too much current to power it off the sub harness. Even if you do decide to run beefier power and ground wires, this is still a very easy way to tap the rear speaker outputs (if you already have the factory sub T-harness).

A couple of people told me they used this trick to connect a larger sub in the trunk, and switched back to the factory underseat sub whenever they needed to regain the trunk space or shed some weight.

• 3 months later...
I did the same thing in my WRX. I ran a LOC from my sub wiring to a Pre amp and then ran a 4-ch amp for the doors and a sub amp for my 10" fosgate sub. I ran a fused line to the battery for each amp. It was fine for 1 1/2yr till I sold the car.
Racer X FMIC for '05-'09 LGTs, '08+ WRX and '10+ LGT,'14+ FXT, and '15+ WRX TMIC Racerxengineering.com

I used the "high to low" converter built into my subamp. Here's how I connected the wires to the stock radio harness. This is four wires: right front speaker + & - and left front speaker + and -

Of course these were then soldered and then taped.

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x312/kagenmateer/IMG_2945-1.jpg

I plan in doing that also. Is there somewhere I can find the wire diagram for the sub plug? I'm going to run the right and left channel and remote on off of the sub harness. Then run a fused line to the battery. Thanks
Racer X FMIC for '05-'09 LGTs, '08+ WRX and '10+ LGT,'14+ FXT, and '15+ WRX TMIC Racerxengineering.com

I snagged it at the radio harness. What sucks is my amp is supposed to have "signal sensing" turn on, so I didn't run the amp turn on wire at first. The signal sensing on this amp is crap, so I had to go back and run another wire. What sucks is I spent all that time and now my sub seized, so I have to wait until I get a new one to really use the amp.

I have a question somewhat related to this. I also was thinking about getting a bazooka tube sub, but its only an 8 inch, and un-amplified. Would I need a separate amp to power it, and could I use the stock sub wires? I don't know much about audio systems...

I have a question somewhat related to this. I also was thinking about getting a bazooka tube sub, but its only an 8 inch, and un-amplified. Would I need a separate amp to power it, and could I use the stock sub wires? I don't know much about audio systems...

You will need a amp. I just found the web site with the wire diagram of the stock sub harness. It's call scoobymods.com they have alot of info. The sub harness has L & R -& + with a remote hot and a ground. I will use them with my amp and run a 12v power to the battery. http://www.scoobymods.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=199&highlight=subwoofer Here is the link

I just finished my install. I took a 10" fosegate P1 sub. I figured out the sub wire harness. Iff you have the plug facing you the plug on the gray wire far left is the chassis ground. next is the red is a constant hot. The Green is Left + and yellow is left -. Blue is right + and the off white right -.

This is the plug diagram:

1 2 3 4

5 6 7 8

To recap:

1 N/C

2 N/C

3 green left +

4 blue Right +

5 gray chassis ground -

6 red constant +

7 yellow Left -

8 gray(off white) right -

I used the yellow/ black stripe from the armrest cig. lighter. for a remote wire on my amp. Now I need to cover the board with black felt. I used the ghetto grill on the sub because it's strong. Here are some pictures I was still able to keep my spare and toolkit and it subs really well. I used a 120w rms x1 amp.

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u156/itsmebryan/175409.jpg

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u156/itsmebryan/175458.jpg

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u156/itsmebryan/175200.jpg

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u156/itsmebryan/175103.jpg

Hope this helps. The board is 3/4" particle board 32"x31"

^^Yes I have a wire loom. The spare area is the box. I'm going to line the area with something to keep the metal from resonating. This is a simple low cost way to improve low frequency. This is not a hi-end setup. The poster wanted to know how to use the sub harness. So please limit the hate.:)

No hate. Leaving the wires loose is a fire hazard, that's why I asked. Also, that sub will only do 1/4 what it's capable of if not enclosed, just wanted to make sure you knew that. I'm just happy to see another member who likes da bass!

I listen to everything from Busta Rhymes to Bert Bacharach So I didn't want anything too bass heavy. It sounds really good it fills in the bass that the door and factory sub does not. The way I did it I used splices so I didn't have to cut any wires. I could have still had the stock sub hooked up but, it would distort way before the stock door speakers if you left the bass at +6. So I unpluged it. I didn't make a box because I wanted to keep my spare. I know it could sound even better but, that was the trade off I was willing to make. I thenk you would be suprised how good it sounds with the factory setup.

What I've found will help is to back the "bass" way down, turn up the "mid" bass +1, and turn up the "treble" +2. One thing I really like about our factory deck is that it at least has a midrange adjustment. With your sub, if you do this, you could probably leave the factory sub plugged in for that extra kick and your new 10" will make up for backing the low end bass off of the inside speakers. If you really want to crank it up fo da bussah buss, leave the midrange at +1 and start lowering the low bass while increasing the treble until it can get pretty loud without distorting. Low bass is what makes a speaker distort quickly, so the more you can tune you new subamp/sub to take that off of the inside speakers and factory sub, the louder it can get and still sound good. I spent about 20 min with mine (factory inside with 12" sub added in trunk) turning down the low bass one notch at a time while increasing the gain on my subamp until I had a good balance. I try not to increase the trebel too much because it makes the system sound more tinny. Oh, you want to tune the system at 3/4 volume btw.

Tuning is equally as important as adding equipment.

What number is 3/4? I never go over 10 unless I have sunroof and windows open.:) I thought I read somewhere before that our HU reduces the bass when you turn it up to protect the speakers.

40 is max, so 3/4 would be 30. Thinking about it though, with our system, that's probably high. I would tune at about 25.

I bow to your greatness. I followed your advice and plugged in the factory sub and made your adjustments. Now it sounds great. I never thought setting the bass to 0 would sound so good. Everything crossed over nicely. thanks again

Archived