LegacyGT.com

Press them on it. My I had two different subaru dealers confirm that they would replace my frayed belt under the lifetime warranty. If they're not doing it, they're being shady. I got mine totally replaced free of charge and the only thing wrong was the fraying belt.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk

Thanks guys that's what I thought.. I kinda made a scene in there, cuz when the guy told me it wasn't covered because it was frayed I asked how come it frayed?? He tells me it's because it's a 98 with 160,000 miles on it. I kinda flipped on him and said my accord with almost double the miles belts are fine. He then goes to hand me a $400 quote to replace it, I threw it in his face telling him to go f*ck himself.

Okay, someone help me. I can't seem to find ANY information on this seat belt recall ANYWHERE on the interwebz, including Cars101. It doesn't show up on mysubaru.com as an open recall for my car, and nor does the control arm issue, and yet my driver's side belt is significantly frayed. I just want to be able to give them a recall number or show them SOMETHING other than my just walking in and saying "GIMME FREE STUFF!"

EDIT: It appears that, at least as far as the seat belts are concerned, it's not necessarily a RECALL but more that seat belts have a lifetime warranty. Is this correct?

I saw the recall info on alldata, the actual recall was for the sewn in button that keeps the latch above the driver seat when you unlatch it. Its all part of the same belt so it may have taken the nerve factor out of the recall. Sewn in button, eh no biggy...but, oh shit the first line of defense in a wreck is fraying on me, now I'm pissed because this thing won't save my life in a 30mph collision.

Its very hard to keep a straight mind when your talking to salesmen at dealerships, its like pulling teeth to get them to honor the recalls within a good time frame, the sales managers tell these people to upsell and make money or they aren't doing they're jobs. One time I basically had to move this guy away from his computer to find a part myself and most of them have never had they're hands dirty or turned a wrench, all they know is what the computer tells them.

I just had mine replaced a few weeks ago. I actually sent an inquiry to subaru of America, and they stated that the seatbelt is covered by a lifetime warranty. I brought a copy of the email to the dealership as a backup. A few days later, new seatbelt installed.

Every dealership HAS TO replace your belt if it is frayed or the retracting mechanism/locking mechanism does not work for free. Find another dealer or contact SOA if yours will not do it for free. I had to go to two different dealerships before they replaced mine.

I called my local dealership and said literally something to the extent of, "The people on the internet forums tell me my seat belt has a lifetime warranty, and that if it is frayed you guys will replace it for free...?"

"Yup."

I have an appointment scheduled for Friday :)

Tell me more about this retracting mechanism and missing button stuff! My drivers side button that holds the male buckle up has been gone since I got the car and I've been using a safety pin in its place instead. And my belts are getting slower and slower to retract on their own, have to help them sometimes. Is this stuff covered? '95 Outback here, fyi.

Yes. Someone explain the details of the retracting mechanism. Because the passenger seat belt isn't frayed at all, but the buckle constantly gets slammed shut in the door (there are several gouges in the door card) when passengers get out because it doesn't really retract without helping it. Does that count too?

I was told the slow retracting is not covered, but it that mechanism does not lock up under a quick yank then they will replace it. So pretty much they cover the safety parts of the belt.

Mine only locked up 2 of the 3 times when they tested it at the dealer so they said what the hell and gave me a new one lol.

So I sent an email to "Subaru of America" explaining my situation. After going back and forth through email the had me make an appointment with a dealer a couple towns away and it was covered, as the service manager said to me it is pretty cut and dry that it is a defect in the part. Very happy with the results I got after dealing with corporate, and not going to a junk yard and spending money on top of my labor to remove a install the new one.

So I'm waiting for my car at the dealership right now. I had an appointment for the driver's side, and I told the guy that the passenger side isn't frayed but also sucks at retracting sometimes without some help. He said he'd put the car in for BOTH front belts to be replaced and then spoke to the mechanic, so we shall see what happens. I freaking love this dealership though (Shelor in Christiansburg, VA.) The only reason I take my car here is because they consistently break all the "stealership" rules and do their best to help.

EDIT: They are replacing both (though ill have to come back because the parts are on order.) The passenger side really doesn't need to be replaced other than it doednt retract well in humid weather, so either the dealership is being nice (wouldn't surprise me) or that is also covered under warranty.

• 2 weeks later...

YAY! I have new seat belts! They replaced the belts, the height adjusters and the buckles that you snap them in to. Cost me nothing! So everything is new in the front! It's one of those changes that makes a big difference because every time I get in or out of the car the seat belt is such a pleasure to use! It's so smooth now, and retracts quickly and the buckle is clean! Wheeee!!!

Funny enough, when I showed up to the service department, the first thing the guy checking me in (who I'd never seen before) asks is, "Is this the train horn car?" Lol.

Archived