LegacyGT.com

'09 Spec.B Front Axle Issue

dga

Got a new front right axle in the car after the previous one gave up the ghost. Now the issue with it is that there is a bit of a vibration at freeway speeds, as if you were driving over a rough road, and when reversing with the steering wheel turned all the way left the front right tire feels like it's binding/skipping. Before I replace the axle again, any other thing that I should look at?

Thanks,

D

Thanks. replaced the brakes at the same time I did the axle and even though the calipers seemed alright, the new rotors, Raybestos (sp?) heavy duty with Akimoto pads warped in the first 10 miles... Maybe more than one issue. Sigh...

I used Akebono pads in my LGT and I love them on the street. They are quiet, wear well, and do a decently good job at stopping the car. They also don't leave deposits on the rotors that turn into nucleation sites for rust. AHEM, Stoptech.

Pull your calipers and look at the slide pins to make sure that they are lubricated. If they aren't rusty inside, smear some hi-temp caliper grease on them. See if the caliper pistons move freely. If the slide pins are rusty or the pistons are binding, it might be time to get new calipers. My Centric remanufactured calipers seized in 10k miles. I'd suggest something different.

I still had the old rotors, slotted, that I put back on and no issues what so ever with these. Pads looked good without any abnormal wear, slide pins and pistons move without issue too. I'll get the rotors turned for free through my brother's business and give them another run.

Cardone axle picked up through Rock Auto. Stock looked really torn up so I chucked it...probably should have kept it and seen if I could rebuit it. http://www.cardone.com/Products/Product-Detail?productId=667355&p=rock&jsn=3

I still had the old rotors, slotted, that I put back on and no issues what so ever with these. Pads looked good without any abnormal wear, slide pins and pistons move without issue too. I'll get the rotors turned for free through my brother's business and give them another run.

Cardone axle picked up through Rock Auto. Stock looked really torn up so I chucked it...probably should have kept it and seen if I could rebuit it. http://www.cardone.com/Products/Product-Detail?productId=667355&p=rock&jsn=3

Don't tell me you didn't learn from the mistakes of others. You never throw away a OEM axle. You rebuild it or reboot it and put it back in. It's the best option.

I'm on the 3rd axle left front axle in my wagon. I will say this has been there for a long time. I had the right front re-booted and put back in.

My 09 Spec B has a slight leak out the outboard clamp on the inner boot. Will re-boot that soon.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Don't tell me you didn't learn from the mistakes of others. You never throw away a OEM axle. You rebuild it or reboot it and put it back in. It's the best option.

I'm on the 3rd axle left front axle in my wagon. I will say this has been there for a long time. I had the right front re-booted and put back in.

My 09 Spec B has a slight leak out the outboard clamp on the inner boot. Will re-boot that soon.

I really did not learn and by that I mean I did not find anything by searching, and in hindsight you are completely correct...but here I am. I think I'll just pick up an OEM axle and rebuild it.

I agree with GTEASER, did you bed the pads properly? Otherwise it might just happen again..

Honestly only times I bed pads is on my track motorcycles for obvious reasons. I've done brake jobs on countless road driven vehicles and this was not a problem, ever.

I have to agree with not bedding in new pads.

Seems I don't have any issues either.

I have re-bedded the pads for dust build up and stop the shimmy under braking.

I do agree, these cars don't like the OEM pads.

Hawk ceramic for the street. I have had good luck with www.brakeperformance.com stuff too. Not sure I'll do slotted rotors again though...

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• 3 weeks later...
Strut leaking oil down onto the tire? Not sure what kind of grease is in the boots near the wheels, but I'd imagine it's the same thick grey stuff that's in the boots near the transmission.

Archived