LegacyGT.com

downside to legacy GT spec B?

Killertofu

i've been stuck on the legacy GT for a while now. from what i can tell its the performance of a WRX but in a more grown up package. I think the spec B is pretty sweet so i'm looking at a 6speed charcoal gray loaded spekc B tomorrow (maybe). 250hp, 6spd, 3200lbs, comfortable interior, nice body, and navigation sounds pretty sweet to me.

so are there any issues that the cars have as far as reliability or whatever?

i'm also wondering how well they respond to basic bolt ons (fmic, full exhaust, intake etc etc).

thanks!

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hopefully you take a few minute to search and I'm sure you'll come up with the answers you need.

But to try and be a little more helpful. The Legacy GT is a great vehicle. Yes.. it has the same mod potential of the wrx in a more grown up package. (my opinion)

The Spec B isn't worth the extra money at all over a GT. You'll find some 'friendly' anti-spec responses during your search. This mainly stems from the fact that the spec really isn't worth the extra 6+k of the trim level over the GT and a few early 06 spec b owners ruined the forum by claim it could walk on water compared to the GT. (over simplifing)

In short I chose the Spec because I got it for under 30k and I really do like the 6spd. BUT I would have gotten a GT if not for getting a good deal. Hell I hate the Nav and would rather have a nice gauge pack in its place.

Good luck

www.cars101.com it's all subaru info.

in a nutshell, you can buy better shocks for either than the spec.b comes standard.

the 6 speed in the spec.b is more sturdy than the 5 speed in the GT.

Either will respond well to mods.

the Nav, myself i wouldn't want, but some want it. preference really.

I got a 09 GT, but oh so close to the Spec.b

if i would have found a DGM 08 spec.b... i'd have it.

insurance wise, the Spec.b *may* cost you more than the GT. Farmers (my ins) did not list a Spec.b as an option, but... the shocks/seats/trans are not found on all GT's... which would make the spec.b considered "rare" and thus may have upped my ins...

YMMV with insurance companies, and between agents also.

but you will be glad you bought a Legacy GT or Spec.b. fun and comfortable.

so when you guys say the 6spd is stronger, do you mean for like additional hp (which im not very interested in) or just for hard launching?

if i pick one up it will only be getting the bolt on treatment MAYBE a tune (im new to the subaru world, not sure if there are canned tunes or if i'd need to have the car tuned locally). all i'd want is like 300-320hp from bolt ons. nothing crazy for a turbo car IMO.

if you search around the forums, everyone pretty much agrees the 6mt is more durable.

but i don't think the 5mt has blown up on a GT with mods. I think the 5mt is fine though.

you talking 300-320 WHP? i know there are LGT's with that here, but it won't be cheap heh.

I've had 7 Subarus, I will never buy a Subaru with a 5 speed ever again. But I think that the 5 speeds on the LGT is better than those found on Imprezas but I prefer a 6 spd. for durablity and potential to handle more power. If you can afford a Spec.B you should definitely go for it. What car did you own previously?

320whp is an awful lot but is very doable in these cars, your probably going to be looking at a lot of mods though, and the most expensive being a larger turbo + FMIC, your also gna have to swap out your dp/up, definaty gna have to get an accessport, new catless exhaust, and many more. It's gna be costing ya north of 10k

Baring ^that in mind, id go with the LGT, its cheaper and it sounds like you're going to be swapping all but the trasmission anyway. With that kinda power you're definatly going to have to change the suspension or at least mod it considerably spec or not. The general concensus on this site is that the spec is not worth the extra $ over the LGT.

Edit: just read that you stated 320hp not 320whp so minus the turbo and FMIC

Reliability should be comparable between the LGT and the Spec B. I also was going to get an '08 Spec B, but opted for an '09 LGT. Costs less, and I wanted the Harmon Kardon sound system.

I'd say if you plan to mod the heck out of your car go with the Spec B since it has a stronger transmission.

alright i think we need to rewind a bit. when i say like 300hp, i mean about a 50hp boost from the stock 240-250ish. this would be replacing my daily driven mustang. i just want something nice with options that has enough power to keep me entertained and enough reliability to make 300mile road trips on holidays.

i have zero ambition to mod the car heavily, i have a built 240sx and will always have a secondary car that is the "fast car".

i haven't even driven a LGT yet, they just look sweet, look great on paper, and in my experience turbo cars + bolt ons = a pretty big peformance bump.

i'm a 26 year old guy with a need for a reliably quick car and i'm getting to where ill sacrifice a little performance for a little class. the LGT seems to fit these stipulations nicely so i'm looking into it heavily :)

insurance wise, the Spec.b *may* cost you more than the GT. Farmers (my ins) did not list a Spec.b as an option, but... the shocks/seats/trans are not found on all GT's... which would make the spec.b considered "rare" and thus may have upped my ins...

YMMV with insurance companies, and between agents also.

but you will be glad you bought a Legacy GT or Spec.b. fun and comfortable.

This has been untrue for the insurance companies i've dealt w, they had no specific Spec B trim as an option so my car was insured as just a regular LGT manual with 3 different insurance companies (2 of them being major brands like Progressive and Geico).

they DID list the LLBean as special, and yes it was more... the AGENT i talked to when i explained the difference between the Spec.b and LGT, SHE said it probably would end up being more. Just like the STI is higher than the basic WRX. STI has different items on the car that ARE NOT found on the normal WRX.

She and the other Agents in the building have not heard of a Spec.b so odds are they do not have it in the computer due to nobody insuring one through them. My agent is the one that said the Spec.b *may* end up being more. cause they would have to put in the car in the system. which since it was not already there.. would make it "special"

My agent was not sure, she assumed that it may be higher.

alright i think we need to rewind a bit. when i say like 300hp, i mean about a 50hp boost from the stock 240-250ish. this would be replacing my daily driven mustang. i just want something nice with options that has enough power to keep me entertained and enough reliability to make 300mile road trips on holidays.

i have zero ambition to mod the car heavily, i have a built 240sx and will always have a secondary car that is the "fast car".

i haven't even driven a LGT yet, they just look sweet, look great on paper, and in my experience turbo cars + bolt ons = a pretty big peformance bump.

i'm a 26 year old guy with a need for a reliably quick car and i'm getting to where ill sacrifice a little performance for a little class. the LGT seems to fit these stipulations nicely so i'm looking into it heavily :)

in that case. i'd suggest get the LGT/Spec.b and do the following.

1. CBE system

2. Cold air intake

3. Up/down pipes

4. access port at this point

Drive it.

the above was my thoughts on my LGT after reading about all the mods done to other LGT's here. ended up just doing a drop in filter and CBE system for warranty concerns. may or may not do more later.

You may or may not hit that 300hp+ @ crank, but you'd be plenty fast if you have a second "fast car" like you said. and the above would hardly be a problem with reliability. you could even drop #3, and #4 and be happy also. the LGT/Spec.b is pretty damn fun/fast stock :cool:

i'd say get the car, LGT or Spec.b and do #1+2. and see what you think, go from there.

Reliability and comfort were my big concerns also. I have street muscle if i really want it... both Bike and other Car.

The downside? I will tell it to you straight...the car is sooooooo fast...much faster than a regular LGT, that it will break the space and time continum and you will actually go back in time. If this is what you wnat, go for it.
Rehab is for quitters.

You havent driven one yet huh?:rolleyes:

nope. so?

i've always thought WRX's were cool but they just keep getting uglier (they never were that pretty) and the average WRX will see its fair share of abuse.

so the LGT is way better looking, has good power, and has the stuff that my ripe old age of 26 has come to appreciate. so since i'm a very busy guy i'll check one out when i get a chance but in the meantime i'll lurk and post on legacy forums looking for flaws/perks.

i mean, if that is alright by you :)

nope. so?

i've always thought WRX's were cool but they just keep getting uglier (they never were that pretty) and the average WRX will see its fair share of abuse.

so the LGT is way better looking, has good power, and has the stuff that my ripe old age of 26 has come to appreciate. so since i'm a very busy guy i'll check one out when i get a chance but in the meantime i'll lurk and post on legacy forums looking for flaws/perks.

I'm gonna go way OT here, but I love the "Doug" reference in your display name.

nope. so?

Woah woah woah, chill, that wasn't an attack. I could tell you hadnt driven one by the way you insinuate tht the mustang is faster and sportier. It's not. This is a very fast car for its power output. And will chew up 05+ V8 mustangs all day long. Especially in the bendies. Stock for stock anyway. Ok? You wont be sacrificing alot, If anything.

Woah woah woah, chill, that wasn't an attack. I could tell you hadnt driven one by the way you insinuate tht the mustang is faster and sportier. It's not. This is a very fast car for its power output. And will chew up 05+ V8 mustangs all day long. Especially in the bendies. Stock for stock anyway. Ok? You wont be sacrificing alot, If anything.

i didn't especially since my DD is a 1999 mustang V6 :)

i've been stuck on the legacy GT for a while now. from what i can tell its the performance of a WRX but in a more grown up package. I think the spec B is pretty sweet so i'm looking at a 6speed charcoal gray loaded spekc B tomorrow (maybe). 250hp, 6spd, 3200lbs, comfortable interior, nice body, and navigation sounds pretty sweet to me.

so are there any issues that the cars have as far as reliability or whatever?

i'm also wondering how well they respond to basic bolt ons (fmic, full exhaust, intake etc etc).

thanks!

specB does not weigh 3200lbs :) A regular LGT is already around 3400lbs

Im sure the 18's, 6spd, navi, traction control add a bit more compared to the GT.

Archived