LegacyGT.com

4th Gen. 235/45-17 under Swifts? Anyone running Methods yet?

Ohoen

Edit: I just picked up a set of wheels and tires off of a 2011 WRX. So hopefully that will work out. I know others have run these before.

Hi all, just brainstorming. I need a summer wheel and tire setup for my 05 LGT. After much reading I'm leaning toward 235/45-17s. The roads are awful here, my daughter doesn't like the bumpy ride, and I'm about 60% highway so a little more gear would actually be nice.

The previous owner installed Swifts with KYBs. Too stiff and not enough clearance for me. The ride also sucks but I'm sure the KYBs should take a lot of the blame there.

So I'm thinking 17x8 with a mid-40s offset and maybe some conti DWs.

I'm planning on doing Konis and stock springs or H&Rs before next winter, but it would be nice to be able to fit whatever I get under the Swifts for now.

235/45-17 on 17x8 seems like an easy setup to find used from the wrx crowd.

Any thoughts or recommendations?

Buying new I like the idea of the Sparco Terras but they are 7.5". Anybody got a set of Method wheels yet? I'm sort of intrigued. A low cost aftermarket wheel that's specifically built for strength... And I'm an old rally dork so I'm drawn to wheels like these and the Terras.

I have snows on the stock wheels now so I could just be cheap out and get some 225s put on these and find some other cheap winter rims later. But the stockers aren't that clean and I'd like to go wider.

• 3 weeks later...

Not too worried about the speedo being a little off. The wheels came with the oem wrx dunlops. Looks like I'll get a season out of them. So I'll see how those treat me. It's my DD so dry traction and weight are not huge priorities.

Thanks.

Not too worried about the speedo being a little off. The wheels came with the oem wrx dunlops. Looks like I'll get a season out of them. So I'll see how those treat me. It's my DD so dry traction and weight are not huge priorities.

Thanks.

is it me or do you contradict your self a little?

lighter wheels and tires will also reduce rotational mass and unsprung weight. both of which will help with daily driving. let alone a tire with more traction.

the legacy can surpirse many of people on stock setup with proper tires and alignment. because its a daily doesnt mean you cant set it up bettter while you are changing things. if you arent maximizing the stock 215 width tires i fail to see how you will maximize a 235 while increasing mass and weight.

i rain a stock weight wheel (edr9 iirc) with 245-40-17 tires and it was immediately sluggish with an even heavier steering. switch to rpf1 with same tire and was much better.

i get the feeling you are shopping by $$ and nothing more.

I have 2011 WRX wheels with 235/45/17 michelin PSS tires and I have swift springs with tokico hts struts. I do not have any issues whatsoever with rubbing, etc. Speedo is off by a few mph above 60 mph; it's nothing too bad though.

Yes, I should have been more clear. It is too low and stiff, that's the Swifts. It is under-damped, that's the KYBs.

Was hoping to get the summer rubber on this weekend but we just got another 4" of snow...

Archived