LegacyGT.com

New guy - Looking to buy - 2005 GTL 161K

Potentially new to the Legacy world and being a Subaru owner, I'm looking to pass off my gas chugging SUV for something better on gas with AWD and some get up. This one looks like a good choice.

I came across one locally (I'm in West Michigan by the way), seems like a decent deal off the bat, (before I negotiate), high miles, but pretty clean overall but I'm looking for some feedback:

http://www.hollandcrownchryslerdodgejeepram.com/used/Subaru/2005-Subaru-Legacy-Holland-MI-4199c9830a0a006401c721de433638ad.htm

What types of things should I be looking for on this car prior to buying it?

- I'm pretty mechanically inclined and knowledgeable about cars and I know enough to know that every car has specific things that you want to look at prior to buying used. Hopefully the crew here can help point some of those out for me. Please and thanks.

Overall thoughts on this vehicle:

Would you buy this exact car?

Thoughts on some of the pros and cons about this L-GTL in general?

I only know a few people who have owned Subarus, none of them owned Legacy, I've heard the good (fuel efficiency, AWD capabilities, handling) and quite a bit of the bad (older model head gasket issues, blown motors, multiple issues with late model WRX's. This seems like a good place to get some slightly bias but accurate input.

So far the first thread in this forum has been pretty helpful

"Who has the most miles on their lgt and how are they holding up over the long haul"

I've done some searching in here but I'm sneaking this in during work so time is valuable

Thanks for your input,

Cesar

Service records. Find out if the car's had the engine, trans, or turbo replaced, and when (if) the timing belt was last replaced. If no records are available, do the fluids (coolant, brake fluid, tranny fluid) look new?

Look under the hood for obvious mods. I'd be skeptical if the engine cover was missing, as it could indicate that the car was previously modified or if the engine has been replaced.

No. It's an automatic. If that's what you're looking for, great, but IIRC all the high-mileage LGT's are the 5mt models.

Blacked out tail lights, filthy carpets.

Thanks, much appreciated.....

Service records. Find out if the car's had the engine, trans, or turbo replaced, and when (if) the timing belt was last replaced. If no records are available, do the fluids (coolant, brake fluid, tranny fluid) look new?

There is a car fax link, it shows a un-described service at 51K then it shows oil changes and such for the first half of its life, these are mainly things that I would be for looking already, I've had a couple turbo VW's so I know some of this from learning the hard way.

Look under the hood for obvious mods. I'd be skeptical if the engine cover was missing, as it could indicate that the car was previously modified or if the engine has been replaced.

Good point, I'm anxious to see if there is anything else under the hood or if the previous owner only did the taillights and windows, I'm guessing there is a little more but we will see. I go tomorrow to take a look.

No. It's an automatic. If that's what you're looking for, great, but IIRC all the high-mileage LGT's are the 5mt models.

I'm not necessarily partial to the automatic, this one just happens to be one and I could probably trade straight up for my SUV. I understand what you mean about high milage 5mt's though.

Blacked out tail lights, filthy carpets.

I meant the Legacy in general, not this specific one, I'm looking for pros and cons of the cars that you guys own.

BTW, I would ditch the taillights, and I think the carpet looking dirty is a bad vacuum line job by the detail-er.

Thanks again, still open for more input....

...I'm looking to pass off my gas chugging SUV for something better on gas...

Do not buy a Legacy GT 2.5 Turbo if you're buying it for MPGs. These cars truly suck gas almost as bad as any SUV out there.

Do not buy a Legacy GT 2.5 Turbo if you're buying it for MPGs. These cars truly suck gas almost as bad as any SUV out there.

Second that!

I have a Outback XT and I get about 17-19 MPG around town and that's being lite on the throttle.

If it was me, I'll pass on this one and keep looking/waiting. But if you like it then check for humming noise from rear for bad wheel bearings, turbo noise when accelerating, then the normal thing's like clean fluid, belts, shocks heated seats, the ac/defrost etc. Get rid of the taillight films if you do buy it. Way too dark! Mpg I get around 21-27

If it was me, I'll pass on this one and keep looking/waiting. But if you like it then check for humming noise from rear for bad wheel bearings, turbo noise when accelerating, then the normal thing's like clean fluid, belts, shocks heated seats, the ac/defrost etc. Get rid of the taillight films if you do buy it. Way too dark! Mpg I get around 21-27

27!? What?

I went on a 3 hour trip going at a constant speed of 65-70MPH and got only 24MPG.

These cars sure does like sipping gas and would not make a friendly gas eco box if that's what you're looking for.

I have no control over drippie.

Thanks guys,

I'm driving my wife's old Jeep Liberty Renegade right now, getting 14 mpg, my drive is all highway 25 miles each way for work, my goal is 28-30 mpgs, which will cut my fuel cost in half theoretically (other than when I'm out chasing powder to ride and playing on various trails), I still want it to have some getup and be fun to drive. I'll be going 75-80 on the highway because that is the flow of traffic.

I appreciate the input, the dark outs on the tail lights aren't my style at all, and second I might be getting old but all I see is safety issues with those.

I'll probably go look at it for kicks and see what I think about the car in general. If I find anything interesting I'll report back, I'll still be checking for more feedback in the meantime.

Also, I tried to post from work earlier but it looks like it didn't go through,

Thanks for the info TRS Cobra, I've had a couple of Turbo VW's so I'm familiar with a lot of the things to look for, I learned a ton from the VW forums too which is why I started here. So far so good. I'll keep everything that you said in mind.

Auto trans wouldn't be my first choice for this car but I thought that I would check it out.

Also I think that the carpets have a bad vacuum line job, I don't think that they are filthy, but I'll let you know.

I was actually looking for pros and cons on the L-GTL in general, not this specific car, like crummy cup holder placement, lack of cup holders, or things that usually get over looked, any info is appreciated though.

Thx

Thanks guys,

I'm driving my wife's old Jeep Liberty Renegade right now, getting 14 mpg, my drive is all highway 25 miles each way for work, my goal is 28-30 mpgs, which will cut my fuel cost in half theoretically (other than when I'm out chasing powder to ride and playing on various trails), I still want it to have some getup and be fun to drive. I'll be going 75-80 on the highway because that is the flow of traffic.

I appreciate the input, the dark outs on the tail lights aren't my style at all, and second I might be getting old but all I see is safety issues with those.

I'll probably go look at it for kicks and see what I think about the car in general. If I find anything interesting I'll report back, I'll still be checking for more feedback in the meantime.

lgt fuel economy about 30 mpg highway and 16 city

a 2.5i non turbo gets about 25 city and 35 highway

Now that's thinking out of the boxer!:lol:

fyi all 05 + legacy's have built in code reader

Subaru turbo's are to be taken as needed to fight depression, extream cases of the Mondays, and other mental health issues.

recommended dose 1 morning and 1 night, warning not to use more boost then you have fuel to make it either home or to the next gas station.

it is also recommended to use as a preventative measure against the ricer fly by, rev limiter stands, and other general honda owners illnesses

Now that's thinking out of the boxer!:lol:

fyi all 05 + legacy's have built in code reader

Potentially new to the Legacy world and being a Subaru owner, I'm looking to pass off my gas chugging SUV for something better on gas with AWD and some get up. This one looks like a good choice.

I came across one locally (I'm in West Michigan by the way), seems like a decent deal off the bat, (before I negotiate), high miles, but pretty clean overall but I'm looking for some feedback:

http://www.hollandcrownchryslerdodgejeepram.com/used/Subaru/2005-Subaru-Legacy-Holland-MI-4199c9830a0a006401c721de433638ad.htm

- I'm pretty mechanically inclined and knowledgeable about cars and I know enough to know that every car has specific things that you want to look at prior to buying used. Hopefully the crew here can help point some of those out for me. Please and thanks.

Overall thoughts on this vehicle:

I only know a few people who have owned Subarus, none of them owned Legacy, I've heard the good (fuel efficiency, AWD capabilities, handling) and quite a bit of the bad (older model head gasket issues, blown motors, multiple issues with late model WRX's. This seems like a good place to get some slightly bias but accurate input.

So far the first thread in this forum has been pretty helpful

"Who has the most miles on their lgt and how are they holding up over the long haul"

I've done some searching in here but I'm sneaking this in during work so time is valuable

Thanks for your input,

Cesar

My subaru legacy has 250k and it ran strong up until 235.

Things to consider:

Tires!!! they are bloody expensive given they are odd size and mot mass produced like domestic crap cars. you can't retrofit 16" allow rims because front calipers are too close to rim wall.

Wheel bearings: Suckers need replacing more often then i care to know

Turbo assembly: Once the turbo goes, odds are you are going to be entering a slippery slope of constant engine part replacement

Transmission: I have the 5 speed Auto and forthe first 150k it was smooth, but now jerks between 1st and 2nd geer. I am told its a flaw in the cylenoid assembly.

Gas milleage: When the car runs as it should forget about gas milleage... it's a beast and performs admirably. In retrospec, i doubt a Lamborghini owner worries about the terrible fuel milleage he/she gets... 50.00 of fuel will carry you 600km/360mile on the highway and you'll be lucky if you make 300km/180miles in town. One nice point is that you can cruise at 85mph/130km/h and won't downshift going up a hill, or you can tow a u-haul tandem trailler without worrying..."i think i can, i think i can"

front headlights replacement: I think the one part i've replaced the most frequent are the headlights for the main beams... still have original high beams, fog lights and rear tail lights but main headlights have been replaced too many times in my opinion

Drive confort and confidence in bad weather is something of a legend with this car. I pile on 1,500km a week on mine and everytime i pass a matrix or a cobalt or another little econobox i think hah sucker!

there you have it... those are the pointers that i can vividly recall in the 7yrs i've driven my Legacy GT Ltd.

hope this helps

One comment to the gas mileage hopes....I'm surprised no one mentioned, but if you get a GT and you manage 27 on the highway (I get 26 100% highway no mods), you'll be doing it on premium gas, so when you see potential savings getting ~26mpg, remember that your paying 10-15% more for gas.

Oh and don't even think about anything but 93 octane, just don't do it.

Otherwise, I love my car. It's ironic because I used the "better mileage" excuse with my wife when I traded my truck, all and all I doubt I've saved a dime as I do mostly city driving...lol

That car in the link, looks like someone Plasti-Dipped the grill...lol

Not sure of the tail lights are film or Nightshades (spray). Someone said, I think, that acetone takes nightshades off. Can't hurt to try if you buy and are going to get new lights anyway. Hell you might be able to sell um, bet someone wants um...lol

I'd be cautious on a car with mods...I noticed it has slotted rotors to.....

martinquesnel - you hit the nail on the head bro, that is the exact info that I was looking and will look for as I shop. Thanks man, and to everyone else, there is a lot of helpful info in this thread and some valid opinions, much appreciated.

As far as gas goes, as a daily driver I'm pretty chill as far as the throttle goes and my commute is 95% highway. Based on my research and input from here, I'm guessing that I can get 24-25, 10 mpgs more that I get now, even if you factor in premium gas there is some savings there, plus less time at the gas station and more time doing other stuff.

I still like to have fun so I would like a car that is fun as well, mpgs aren't my only priority or I would be on a prius forum or something like that instead. I play in snow a lot and I like to drive so if I can find a daily driver that can play with me I'll be petty happy.

With all of that said, I got what I need for the most part, Thanks again guys and or gals (if applicable)

My wife drives her 05 gt limited in mixed use. She has averaged over the last 10K 21mpg. If I drive it I average 23-24mg. Getting more than 24mpg freeway is going involve tailwinds and long down hills. The epg rated this car at 24mpg freeway and in most cases this means you'll never get that. This is coming from someone who always gets or beats slightly the EPA rating. In this car it's really hard to get the rating level.

A downside with a cheap 161K car is that you need to have plenty of cash sitting for repairs. While I wouldn't buy a car with this mileage we will keep ours until it hits about 150-170K. The difference is we'll have done all the service.

The cars are great. In all honesty if the non-turbo gt was available locally I would have bought it. We have no personal need for the boost and would have enjoyed the regular 87 oc fuel motor getting closer to 30mpg.

The AWD system is nice, but it's not as good as recent models and one could debate not as good as the jeep system you have now. I've got my wife's car near stuck in dry conditions and tactics you'd use to get out of this jam in a jeep don't work on a subi. I would also debate, that a great set of winter tires will be better for you than this car with a all season tire. Your MI winters are cold but you don't live in a part of the country where awd is required. EI mountain passes where it's chains or awd.

If you have $10K to buy a new car, there are better options. In my books this 161K car is at the end of it's life. More troubles than it's worth. If you love subi, buy a lower mileage car.

That all said, I love the mid range torque, ride quality, fit and finish of the interior. I don't like the piss poor engineering that subi does on their cars, the complexity they bring to simple tasks and the intervals on maintenance. They talk up and down about the efficiencies of their h4 motor and I've not yet seen it. They are well built and have a history of going and going and going.

I wouldn't touch this car.

Archived