LegacyGT.com

Another oil level thread

When I got home from a vacation and putting about 1000 miles on the 09 SpecB in 10 day's I checked the oil level about 2 hours after getting home.

I did the pull the dip stick, loosen the oil fill cap and walked away. When I checked the level it was just below the low level line. I was amazed because the engine has 29,700 miles. I didn't believe it but waited another hour and checked again. Still at the same level. So I put in the remaining (.8 qt) oil from the last oil change 3500 miles ago. I use Amsoil 5w40 European oil because it's good with turbo's.

Wednesday afternoon at checked the oil after getting home from work. I did the normal procedure. But only waited about an hour while I was disconnecting the tranny in the 05.

The oil read a little below the full line. I didn't add any. Today after letting the car sit overnight, the oil level was over full. I have the Fomoto drain valve so it was easy to remove 1/2qt.

Now when I check the oil level it forms a V on the dip stick, not a flat level. This V in the oil level has been there every time I've checked the oil since the Amsoil was put in. The top of the V is at the full line. I can't remember if the V was there with Castrol Snytec.

I know these things are a nightmare to check the oil on. The Spec is my 4th Legacy GT since 1998.

Why is it such a PITA ????

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

You are way too observant. Check it on a level surface before a cold start or after the car has been sitting for more than 10min. It's not rocket surgery :lol: I usually fill it to the hole in the dipstick when doing an oil change, and periodically check it at the same time every time (after the car was shutdown for about 5-10min on a level surface). Apples to apples to make a conclusion as to whether or not oil is being lost or your eyes are playing tricks.

I do always check it on level ground. I thought I had this process pretty well figured out.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

why do you let it sit for so long? is it you feel that more oil will drain back into the pan? just wonderin.

Yes.

I normally drive to work, pull the dip stick about 2", close the hood. 8 hours later, come out and check the level. But it's been so hot lately, I got lazy.

I'm using Amsoil based on HAMMERDOWN's car, if you do the math with long OCI's it works out to about the same cost. It's better oil so I figured I'd try it and give the turbo as much oil support as I could. I tend to keep my cars for a long time. We'll see how it works out.

I'm about to put the Amsoil in the GF's Ford Escape too and go to longer OCI's.

Not sure if you've noticed this, but sometimes the level is different on different sides of the dipstick. Whenever I get a reading that seems too low or high, I just check the other side.

Not sure if you've noticed this, but sometimes the level is different on different sides of the dipstick. Whenever I get a reading that seems too low or high, I just check the other side.

Lol. Kinda like butterfaces, looks bad, flip it around and it looks good

Yes.

I normally drive to work, pull the dip stick about 2", close the hood. 8 hours later, come out and check the level. But it's been so hot lately, I got lazy.

wouldnt the oil be cold by this point? i just usually shut off the engine and check the oil within a couple minutes after popping the hood/trunk and grabbing my rag and doing my process and i've trusted that level

If you check the oil after the engine has run, you need to allow time for the oil to drain out of the heads back into the pan.

Not to thread jack but I'm having a similar issue with checking the Trans oil, seems like every time I pull the dipstick out it's in a different spot, makes me feel like an idiot :lol: Anyone have any tips for that?

Welcome to the club

May be try the same, pull the dip stick walk away from the car until morning.

• 2 weeks later...
how long do you go between oil canges while using amsoil? and what does oci stand for just curious?

I just did my first oil sample with Blackstone Lab's. They say the oil is good till 7500 miles. I took the sample with 4000 miles on the oil. Engine has 30,000 miles.

I'll send another sample at 7000 miles.

HAMMER DOWN goes 15,000 miles on his Amsoil.

I just did my first oil sample with Blackstone Lab's. They say the oil is good till 7500 miles. I took the sample with 4000 miles on the oil. Engine has 30,000 miles.

I'll send another sample at 7000 miles.

HAMMER DOWN goes 15,000 miles on his Amsoil.

If regular dino oil goes 7500 miles why would Amsoil only be rated at the same interval?

Just check the frikiin stick; while it's on LEVEL GROUND, at the same time (or time past event, such as shutdown), EVERYTIME!

1st thing in morning... 16 days after the vernal equinox... While changing lanes on the 405... As long as you're consistent with WHEN you check, and consistently fill to whatever line makes you happy, you'll sleep at night!

Cheese&crackers!!!

If regular dino oil goes 7500 miles why would Amsoil only be rated at the same interval?

Every motor is different, and it's not accurate to just generalize that any particular brand, weight, or classification of oil is "good" for a certain number of miles. Different motors / running conditions degrade oil differently, and different oils deal with that degradation differently based on their fundamental structure and additive package. All oil lubricates and all oil degrades, both are just a question of how long and to what extent, and you can't realistically answer either question by reading the side of a quart or reciting some rule of thumb.

Subaru has released a service bulletin that say's to change the oil in these cars at 3750 miles, they even figured the 7500 mile in the 05 manual is wrong.

Just check the frikiin stick; while it's on LEVEL GROUND, at the same time (or time past event, such as shutdown), EVERYTIME!

1st thing in morning... 16 days after the vernal equinox... While changing lanes on the 405... As long as you're consistent with WHEN you check, and consistently fill to whatever line makes you happy, you'll sleep at night!

Cheese&crackers!!!

:lol:

Every motor is different, and it's not accurate to just generalize that any particular brand, weight, or classification of oil is "good" for a certain number of miles. Different motors / running conditions degrade oil differently, and different oils deal with that degradation differently based on their fundamental structure and additive package. All oil lubricates and all oil degrades, both are just a question of how long and to what extent, and you can't realistically answer either question by reading the side of a quart or reciting some rule of thumb.

I understand this. Since my dino oil at 7500 miles still has life left in it this interests me.

Subaru has released a service bulletin that say's to change the oil in these cars at 3750 miles, they even figured the 7500 mile in the 05 manual is wrong.

What was the reasoning behind this? This has got to be the lowest normal interval I've seen. Does this mean people in adverse driving conditions are changing every 2000?

Archived