jazzymt

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks Jazzy....

Perfect instructions as everyone else said, took about an 1 1/2 taking my time. All wires hidden and crystal clear music coming from my ipod now.

My wife thanks you also, we live in podunkville and our local radio stations are a joke. Now we have podcasts on our way to work and music on the way home.

Can't thank you enough, now I am 100% happy with my Outback.

Well, Crutchfield has pushed my patience. There's no way I can offer to include GLI's if they change their lead time and put me on back order for 3-5 weeks each time I make an order. They've delayed their ship date twice now and have backordered the mini-jack GLI out to 2/13/06. As much as I'd like to reduce clutter, there's no one else that sells this GLI, PAC doesn't even have it in their MFG catalog, so I'm going to get PAC's RCA GLI and order it from someone else. I only need one adapter if I substitute an RCA to mini-jack cable instead of a mini-jack patch cable and I found a good source for the adapter. I've also decided the "Pro" kit isn't really complete unless I also include a mini-jack extension cable that will allow you to hide the GLI and give you a clean cable to route to your audio device. Given the increase in weight and extra adapter and cable, I'm gunna set the price at $85 and should have parts in stock next week.

So, the "Pro Kit" will include:

- The aux-in board, silent CD & instructions

- 6' gold plated 1/8" male stereo mini-jack to RCA male cable

- PAC SNI-1 Ground Loop Interrupt

- Gold plated 1/8" male stereo mini-jack to RCA female adapter

- 6' gold plated 1/8" stereo mini-jack extension cable

...and they should be installed connected in that order. There's really only one more connection in this scenario than the mini-jack GLI, and they're all gold plated connectors, so I think the overall impact on signal quality will be minimal.

...hrm...I also need to get some bigger boxes... :icon_bigg

~edit~ Oh yea, and thanks again for all the comments everyone. It's still nice to hear that people's installs are going well and that they appreciate my work. It really doubles the rewards for when I spend my evenings hunched over a magnifying glass & soldering iron :) Speaking of which, I figure I've soldered about 13,200 holes now...certainly I'm long past "getting in some good practice." :D

[CENTER][URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18504"]Subaru Plug & Play Aux-in Mod[/URL][/CENTER] [CENTER][URL="http://www.jazzyengineering.com"]www.jazzyengineering.com[/URL][/CENTER]

i put mine in today.... installation went smoothly :D

one thing... im still getting engine/ground loop noise, even when nothing is plugged in....i may need another GLI to switch out with the one thats in there....

What's your setup look like? I mean, do you have more than one device connected? Also, are you sure you installed it in the right direction? Most GLI's are directional...not that you should hear engine noise even if it's in backwards...
[CENTER][URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18504"]Subaru Plug & Play Aux-in Mod[/URL][/CENTER] [CENTER][URL="http://www.jazzyengineering.com"]www.jazzyengineering.com[/URL][/CENTER]

actually it might be backwards.... its one of those rca filters that come in the audiovox fm modulator kit/bag..... i have the aux out>mini jack to rca>filter>powered ipod audio connector(from david navone)>ipod

i'll switch it around tomorrow and see if it helps...

Jazzy,

So, for those of us who have been lazy and haven't installed yet, but already have the board(I think I had one of the first 10 or so...). How much is just the "Pro" part. I would prefer the gold connectors etc.

Ted

:spin:

Most GLI's are directional...not that you should hear engine noise even if it's in backwards...

Interesting... So does anyone know what direction the Radio Shack GLI is? (meaning which end of the connection should the cylindrical part go?). I don't remember seeing anything directional on it, but I probably didnt' read the directions either :icon_eek: . I had the cylindrical part near the iPod and the normal cable end connected to the Jazzy.

I wonder if that had something to do with my Belkin problem...

When I wired my Crutchfield 3.5mm GLI in, it seemed like it was backwards. The "IN" side (male) was toward the jazzy, but to do it any other way would require an adapter between the jazzy and the GLI. It sounds fine that way.

If you were to hook it up between say an iPod and PC speakers, the GLI would be hooked up the other way, with the "IN" side going into the iPod and the female end toward the speakers.

--Lee

When I wired my Crutchfield 3.5mm GLI in, it seemed like it was backwards. The "IN" side (male) was toward the jazzy, but to do it any other way would require an adapter between the jazzy and the GLI. It sounds fine that way.
Yup, you put it in backwards...like you said, it works though so it's fine. The PAC GLI doesn't have even windings though (not 1:1), so it really is directional...if you put it in backwards, you're reducing your signal strength, whereas the correct orientation will boost your signal a bit...not a lot though, so backwards still works.

As far as the kits/components: If you want them separately, the cables are $10, the GLI is $30 and includes an RCA to mini-jack adapter and an RCA to mini-jack cable. For the "Pro" kit equivalent, it would also include a mini-jack extension cable for $45. Shipping is always $5. If you know how, you can just paypal me the amount with a note asking for what you want, otherwise send me a PM and I'll email you an invoice. I don't have GLI's in stock yet so if you want to order one, it will still be probably until next week before I can send them out.

I really need to get a website up...I'll try and get something basic up and running by the weekend.

Yup, you put it in backwards...like you said, it works though so it's fine. The PAC GLI doesn't have even windings though (not 1:1), so it really is directional...

Crap, I did the same thing. I didn't even look at the markings, I just saw that it was easier to connect it up the other way. Oh well, time to tear open my car again...:lol:

The Dude - Two inches and counting...:lol:

Does anybody know what the easiest why is to remove and reinstall the center console especially at those 2 friggin white plugs that slide into hooks from the center console. Taking it off was a PITA, but putting backin was almost impossible. After breaking my back, I got in the passenger side clip, but the driver's side just won't happen. There isn't enough space to push back the upper part of the console without hitting the raised edge on the lower part that catches it.

Any tips? Do I need togo Hogmeat-style on it with a drill?

I keed I keeed

Does anybody know what the easiest why is to remove and reinstall the center console especially at those 2 friggin white plugs that slide into hooks from the center console. Taking it off was a PITA, but putting backin was almost impossible. After breaking my back, I got in the passenger side clip, but the driver's side just won't happen. There isn't enough space to push back the upper part of the console without hitting the raised edge on the lower part that catches it.

Any tips? Do I need togo Hogmeat-style on it with a drill?

Um...maybe I'm not understanding what you're doing, but did you slide the clip out (moving the console twoards the rear of the car) or did you pop it out vertically (towards the roof)? It should be pretty easy to pop out vertically...it just takes a firm tug, and then it just pops back in when you push down on it without too much trouble. If you slid it out, I'm not sure what to do...that seems to make it harder from what I've heard, but I have no personal experience trying to get it to go back that way.

I'm not sure what rumors you're talking about, or I would tell you if they're true or not...I want to make a CD-less version, but it's a ways off if I manage to do it at all.

Um...maybe I'm not understanding what you're doing, but did you slide the clip out (moving the console twoards the rear of the car) or did you pop it out vertically (towards the roof)? It should be pretty easy to pop out vertically...it just takes a firm tug, and then it just pops back in when you push down on it without too much trouble. If you slid it out, I'm not sure what to do...that seems to make it harder from what I've heard, but I have no personal experience trying to get it to go back that way.

Oh, so you pop it up not slide it to the side, grrrrrrrrrrrrr. :icon_mad: Thx for the tip.

I'm not sure what rumors you're talking about, or I would tell you if they're true or not...I want to make a CD-less version, but it's a ways off if I manage to do it at all.

Just j/kin, saw your post on subaruoutback. You're doing good stuff. I bet SoA is jealous you're making the m00lah. :icon_twis

I keed I keeed

Just j/kin, saw your post on subaruoutback. You're doing good stuff. I bet SoA is jealous you're making the m00lah. :icon_twis
Heh...SOA probably makes more on one GT than I've made to date. I'm glad you think I'm doin good stuff though :)

Originally Posted by ilh

Yup, you put it in backwards...like you said, it works though so it's fine. The PAC GLI doesn't have even windings though (not 1:1), so it really is directional...if you put it in backwards, you're reducing your signal strength, whereas the correct orientation will boost your signal a bit...not a lot though, so backwards still works.

The Crutchfield pic below looks to me like Male = output. So the male should plug straight into the jazzy.

{Output of iPod -> input (F) of GLI -> output of GLI -> input of jazzy (F) -> head}

Am I wrong?

http://akamaipix.crutchfield.com/products/2005/127/x127SNi135-f.jpeg

ok i fixed mine.... i just moved the position of the filter away from any audio wires.... i can turn the radio to 40 (with silent cd) with the engine on and there is no noise at all....

Did your signal get any louder? I put mine in backwards like you, but I'm trying to figure out of its worth ripping apart my car again. My XM setup is reallllly quiet, and its been bugging me for awhile. :)

The Dude - Two inches and counting...:lol:

Now I am really confused. That picture looks pretty unambiguous. When I was hooking up it was ambiguous. I wonder if my sticker was turned 180 degrees?

I am opening up my center console this weekend to install (and hide) a Belkin iPod dock adapter. I haven't yet decided if I will crack the head unit open again to check the GLI. I stupidly hooked the GLI directly to the jazzy unit. I should have run a plain patch cable out of the head unit and kept the GLI outside of the head unit.

--Lee

I stupidly hooked the GLI directly to the jazzy unit. I should have run a plain patch cable out of the head unit and kept the GLI outside of the head unit.

I'm already going to have iPod -> patch cable -> GLI. I'm not sure if I want to add that last patch cable so that the GLI is outside the head.

It's a tough call. If you use another patch cable you get the benefit of the GLI being accessible but you also add another plug connection into it.

Jazzy, you seem to imply that you opened a PAC GLI to look at the windings. Can you say definitevely which direction it is?

On the subject of removing the center console clips: I gave up. I was pulling very hard straight up and couldn't get them to budge. Any harder and I thought I would break something. (Where are you supposed to hold while pulling?)

In any case, I didn't need to remove it to remove the panel around the shifter. I unscrewed the rear of the center console, shifted it slightly to the rear (clips in front still in place), and then I was able to remove the panel around my 5MT shifter and proceed from there. I'm not certain I even needed to loosen the rear of the center console.

Just a heads up if you do not need to install anything in the center cubby...

Jazzy, you seem to imply that you opened a PAC GLI to look at the windings. Can you say definitevely which direction it is?
No, I didn't look at the windings, and if the label is oriented correctly (which we have to assume it is) then you are correct and the male end is the output. That's just bass ackwards though because with the RCA unit, I'm pretty sure male is the input...? Wierd eh?

http://akamaipix.crutchfield.com/products/2004/127/x127SNi1-f_dg.jpeg