LegacyGT.com

2009 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT Limited

bigdawg78

I am not a Subaru guy. In fact, if I buy this Subaru, it will be my first. I found a decently priced 2009 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT Limited 4D Sedan. Should I have concerns about it being a lemon? I noticed Subaru did a major remodel of the Legacy in 2010. I saw that consumer reports had listed the turbo 2009 as having potential major engine problems. This car has about 30k miles on it but otherwise looks in really good condition. I can't see it was modded. I just don't want to buy a lemon or a car that blows the engine the first month I own it. Is there anything I should know about it?

Is it a manual or automatic ?

There are good cars but you need to keep after the oil level and oil changes. As they age they tend to use oil.

There is a whole aftermarket full of parts for these cars. They can handle good hp if you know what your doing.

I own two, a 05 GT wagon 5mt and a 09 Spec B. These 4th Gen Legacy's are the best looking made.

Mosy of us can handle the body change to the 5th gen.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

in short form, no there's not much/any concern that this car is a lemon. Just make sure it wasn't modded to high heaven, raced through a forest rally, and then dumped at the lowest bidder.

Yea, we've had that happen before.

I can't see it was modded.

It's a manual. As far as I can tell it is stock. I checked the VIN with autocheck and it was clean. The price was right at what KBB had it listed for from a dealer. I went ahead and picked it up today. I'm proud to have joined the Subaru family. Now I just need to put a GPS in it and figure out how to make the exhaust sound a bit more aggressive. I'm loving driving it though. It's my very first Subaru. I'll put pictures up this weekend.

Although I am starting to have some serious concerns about being able to upgrade the radio whatsoever. My 2009 Subaru Legacy Sedan comes with Harman Kardon audio system and Automatic Climate Controls. It is the latter that has me nervous. I can't seem to find a single-din mount kit for my car. If I am unable to find a feasible solution I'll end up returning the car to the dealership.

Ummm...what?

You are going to return your car because you might find it a wee bit difficult to put an aftermarket radio in? That's like saying you aren't going to buy a house because you don't like the color of the paint.

Sense, you make none.

First of all, welcome to the family. Put your location in so we can spot and wave to a fellow enthusiast. Second, In the search bar you'll find a treasure trove of info, including how to get a single din car stereo to fit in the cubby slot, as well as the dual din JDM kit.

Third, in the turbo powertrain subforum you'll find all sorts of ways to get to stage 2, which seems to be the most popular stage to sit at in terms of the balance between performance, sound, feel, and reliability.

If you want something a bit more complex, check out the CAR-PC thread for integrated GPS and stereo solutions, as well as a ton of more options including back up camera.

In short, we here are a very much DIY crowd. There's no problem that you can possibly run into that as a community we haven't seen, diagnosed, resolved, and recorded. So don't expect to get much sympathy when you say you are going to give up and return it over a simple non-issue.

I bought my Legacy because I thought the integrated stereo looked cool. I didn't care that it was comfortable, good looking, has AWD, is turbocharged and fast as f*@k, comes with a manual, has heated leather seats, independent suspension, good brakes (although spongy on oem pads and lines), is easily tuned into a killer sleeper etc, etc....
____Spending funds in mass quantities! I keep telling myself it's just a hobby?

I bought my Legacy because I thought the integrated stereo looked cool. I didn't care that it was comfortable, good looking, has AWD, is turbocharged and fast as f*@k, comes with a manual, has heated leather seats, independent suspension, good brakes (although spongy on oem pads and lines), is easily tuned into a killer sleeper etc, etc....

I liked the color....I said SHINY! Then bought it....:lol:.

:yeahthat:

Although I am starting to have some serious concerns about being able to upgrade the radio whatsoever. My 2009 Subaru Legacy Sedan comes with Harman Kardon audio system and Automatic Climate Controls. It is the latter that has me nervous. I can't seem to find a single-din mount kit for my car. If I am unable to find a feasible solution I'll end up returning the car to the dealership.

So you're worried your car has Automatic Climate Controls? You must be a true purist.

Maybe look into a Lotus 7?

So you're worried your car has Automatic Climate Controls? You must be a true purist.

Maybe look into a Lotus 7?

No, that wasn't the issue. The issue is because of the year and trim (identified by the GT and automatic climate controls), Subaru decided to connect the automatic climate controls with the 6-disc changer. I can't put in an aftermarket stereo. I could care less for the stereo, but what I really would have liked is bluetooth for hands-free calls and GPS.

In the last couple days I've done more research and have given up on an aftermarket radio. An alternative solution (I'm hoping anyways) is a Parrot CK31000 and the harness I'll need to get with it. I'll also have to pay a crazy amount for the Subaru Sirius Radio module (it would have been cheaper for an aftermarket radio).

The only reason I've kept the car is that it is crazy fun to drive. It is just surprising to me coming from non-Subaru vehicles, how far behind Subaru was in the entertainment/electronics for it being a 2009.

*EDIT*

There are three options available to put in an aftermarket stereo that I am aware of. However, none of the local car stereo installers are willing to do this as any mistakes my ruin my climate control for good. Two of the options require cutting up the dash and ordering parts from China. The following post details how someone who knows how to do car installs did theirs.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/jdm-dual-hvac-diy-125879.html?p=2721897#post2721897

The second is to install a stereo in the empty spot between the air conditioning vents and turning my current stereo into a dead eye sore that does absolutely nothing.

Neither of these are acceptable for me. I'm not willing to risk ruining the air-conditioning in New Mexico. If I am going to pay $20k+ for a vehicle up front I should be sure it is going to do what I want.

Like I said, instead I'm going to install a Parrot CK3100 along with a harness. And I'll pick up a Garmin or Tomtom and a unique GPS mount that is designed to fit in the Subaru legacy/outback cubby. http://www.subarucubbymount.com/

Ummm...what?

You are going to return your car because you might find it a wee bit difficult to put an aftermarket radio in? That's like saying you aren't going to buy a house because you don't like the color of the paint.

Sense, you make none.

First of all, welcome to the family. Put your location in so we can spot and wave to a fellow enthusiast. Second, In the search bar you'll find a treasure trove of info, including how to get a single din car stereo to fit in the cubby slot, as well as the dual din JDM kit.

Third, in the turbo powertrain subforum you'll find all sorts of ways to get to stage 2, which seems to be the most popular stage to sit at in terms of the balance between performance, sound, feel, and reliability.

If you want something a bit more complex, check out the CAR-PC thread for integrated GPS and stereo solutions, as well as a ton of more options including back up camera.

In short, we here are a very much DIY crowd. There's no problem that you can possibly run into that as a community we haven't seen, diagnosed, resolved, and recorded. So don't expect to get much sympathy when you say you are going to give up and return it over a simple non-issue.

I'm not sure what to say other than to point out that not everyone feels comfortable cutting up their vehicle. I've never seen the inside of a dash. I think it is crazy to expect someone who lacks the know-how to open up and cut up their dash. If I pay $20k+ I shouldn't have to do that. I should be able to take the car to a professional installer to have it done. But every where in town I've checked has said no to the JDM approach. They won't cut up the car. They want something with pre-made harnesses and car-specific vehicle mount kits.

If you screw up painting your house, it still functions as a house. You can live in it and never know the difference. But try using a car in a desert with no climate controls because you messed up slicing the wires when you tried to custom hack your dash to fit in a stereo. All I want is bluetooth in my car. I don't think that is too much to ask.

I've found another solution, and one that doesn't require me to become Macgyver to do it either. Suggesting I'm an idiot for not knowing how to install my own car stereo was a bit extreme in my opinion.

I've found another solution, and one that doesn't require me to become Macgyver to do it either. Suggesting I'm an idiot for not knowing how to install my own car stereo was a bit extreme in my opinion.

I wasn't calling you an idiot, I don't think anyone was. But there is an expectation here that if you don't like something about the car, you change it or deal with it. You even said it yourself, you COULD do the single DIN radio in the cubby compartment but the remaining eyesore would be unacceptable. Sometimes you don't always get everything you want, maybe there is a little give and take until you find the solution that really fits you. And yea, that might mean getting your hands dirty and putting some interior bits at risk.

No one knows that better than me. I hacked up my cubby to put a 7" tablet in that space. When I did it a second time, I made my hackjob a little cleaner. Let's not even get into how I ruined my gear selector :)

Everytime I read the JDM post I feel a little bit more like maybe I could actually do this. If I knew anyone within the state willing to do the install I'd do it in a heart beat, but I may have to do it myself.

You can do it! And if you have any questions about it there's a massive community resource at your disposal. I say go for it if you want it.

You've convinced me. I'm gonna do it, but I'm going to take my time and make sure I have everything ready to go when I decide to take apart the panel. I've read quite a bit about the JDM and understand I'll need the 14-pin and I88 adapter harness from SVXDC. The only thing that is still eluding me is the steering wheel controls. There is an i85 adapter but I'm not sure if I need this. I must be sure to keep the cruise control, and preferably the basic stereo controls. I'll probably set this all up with a Kenwood double-din nav (I liked the one I had in my truck).

Honestly, you probably don't even need the cubby GPS mount. I got a TomTom, took out the rubber mat in the cubby, mounted the disc on the bottom of the cubby, and just pop the GPS unit on and off as needed. The disc sticks over the edge of the cubby slightly, so the door doesn't quite close all the way, but it's so slight that I don't even notice it any more.

I am not a Subaru guy. In fact, if I buy this Subaru, it will be my first. I found a decently priced 2009 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT Limited 4D Sedan. Should I have concerns about it being a lemon? I noticed Subaru did a major remodel of the Legacy in 2010. I saw that consumer reports had listed the turbo 2009 as having potential major engine problems. This car has about 30k miles on it but otherwise looks in really good condition. I can't see it was modded. I just don't want to buy a lemon or a car that blows the engine the first month I own it. Is there anything I should know about it?

The major redesign was because the car was 5 yrs old and it was due for a redesign.

The CR engine black-mark is due to a set of defective rod bearing in the engines. This resulted in spun rod bearings at <20k miles on most of the effected cars. Subaru of America eventually issued a stop sale order. You can look up the effected VIN range and compare it.

Mechanically, the 2007-2009 cars share a common engine parts. 2005-2006 use a VF40, while 2007-2009 use a VF46, which is considered to be slightly more reliable. Reliability of the 2009 models should be comparable 2005-2008 model years, as the cars are mechanically identical.

Well the rabbit hole keeps getting deeper and deeper, but I'm learning quite a bit and looking forward to this endeavor. I'm currently waiting on the JDM dual HVAC kit from Avo and also have ordered the Japanese emergency switch. I will be ordering the harnesses from SVC DC shortly.

My car has the HK sound system. From what I understand, this means there is a HK amp (possibly under my seat) that actually powers all the speakers. I don't really want to bypass this because it would mean running a lot more wire. So I plan on connecting my aftermarket HU to the HK amp. What does worry me is the impedance issue. Other than the i88 connector and 14-pin harness from SVC DC, is there anything I have to do special for this to work considering the signal the HK amp is expecting?

I like the Garmin nav so I'm leaning towards a Kenwood system (possibly the DNX6980 or 6960). I understand they can do 4-8 Ohm.

*EDIT*

Although now that I think about it, maybe I am supposed to use the pre-outs on the back of the aftermarket HU for the HK amp and the speaker signals on the 14-pin are completely unused.

Archived