LegacyGT.com

Low Oil/engine noise

07 Legacy 2.5i so no turbo...I wish! 38K miles i was driving slightly hard for a few minutes and then the noise happened. I thought it was my heat shields..gonna double check that in the morning, i don't think its the shields, the sound happens in 1st,2nd and 3rd gear and when the foot is on the Accelerator....

...what the above posters mean to say, in simple terms...running the oil low/extended periods of time will cause vital internal parts to not get lubricated enough causing excessive wear and sometimes damage. Hearing a knocking sound is a sign of bad things and the low oil level and heavy driving might have terminally damaged some of the bearings in the engine. You will probably need to rebuild the engine...however since we cannot hear it ourselves, find a reputable shop or mechanic and explain and let them listen to the knock for a final answer.

You aren't being clear on whether you did a 7,000 mile oil change interval, or 7,000 miles over your regular change interval.

If it was simply a 7000mi interval, most dino oils can take that. Not a GREAT idea by any means, but 7000mi would not kill your engine.

If it's been something like 12,000mi, then you might be in trouble.

You have to check and/or change the oil even if it's -20 outside, Don't be like most drivers who say" I'll do it in the Spring when it's warmer out". By then You've gone too many miles over or will almost have no oil left! Now I got to go check my oil level, it's 5 below out right now!

I am over about 9,000 which I never do..I have no excuses why I didn't change it..I added 2 1/2 bottles of oil which is bad...and it is cold and driving it is most likely not the best for it...I am 31 years old..I know when to change my oil...life has been a bit out of control lately, which happens to all of us...enough for me to neglect my wonderful Legacy... I should be beaten to a bloody pulp...any other signs of damage I can look for, color/junk in the oil? etc...

• I Donated
Yeah, 2.5 quarts down is a lot. That's over half our total capacity. If it's a bearing, you won't see the biggest chunks, because there's a strainer in the oil pan right next to the drain plug. Dropping the pan would show you, but that requires a hoist. Rod knock is another possibility, and valvetrain issues is yet another. If you don't have the know-how to pull your engine, you should probably take it to a mechanic no matter what.

Length of the interval has nothing to do with the damage done to the engine, what OP failed to do is check his oil on regular basis, if you would be doing that and topping it off than you could easily do even 15k interval on any dyno oil, it's a fact. 2.5 na are easy on the oil. By extending your interval your engine was burning the oil faster than a freash oil this is why it is recomended to check your engine oil level every time you fill up your gas. OP how often did you check your oil level?

For any driver out there you don't check your oil level at least one time a month or every fill up, than you are asking for trouble. It takes 15 seconds to check your oil level it takes about 2 minutes to fill up your car so enough time to check all fluid levels.

neglect the car and post questions about the breakdown here in this forum is just a wrong idea... very wrong :spin:

I'm sorry for your loss... Have the dealer tear the engine apart and check the internal components...or an experienced mechanic should know what's wrong after a short drive..

good luck

I'm rebuilding mine now. I got it at 74k, and 5k later, it spun a bearing. Every bearing was down to copper. The crank and 1 rod are trash. I also found 3 pistons with cracked ringlands, and a turbo about to puke its guts up. With me and a friend doing the work, I'm looking at around $1300.

Archived