LegacyGT.com

Gas mileage H6 vs turbo

Just curious,

First off, I know we don't buy these cars for fuel efficiency and i'm down with the pay to play aspect, however, i'm still debating whether i want to go with a GT/XT wagon over like, say, an LL bean wagon. The higher risk of the turbo failing, as i'm buying used with no guarantee of prior maintenance, is also a factor.

Any thoughts?

I recently bought an H6 because I figured it would potentially be less problematic over the long term than a turbo engine. I plan to run this baby into the ground.

I've got about 1600 miles on it now and this past weekend did a 250 miles trip and averaged 25.8 Mpg at 78Mph. I'm pretty happy with that as it should improve a little after a few thousand more miles.

I ended up averaging about 25 MPG highway when my clutch was going out on my 2.5GT, and I drove it like a gramma... Realistically, my car's built in gauge says I get 21 MPG, and that's with mostly city spirited driving at Stage 1 TA tune.

My wife's 01 Outback H6 gets 26mpg on her 25-mile 95% freeway commute. Dunno city mpg because any non-commute driving is done in my car.

My 05 LGT gets 21.6mpg on my 25-mile 50/50 city/freeway commute. All city is 19.6mpg. All day freeway at 65mph (cruise control) I've seen 30mpg.

^ you're running pretty lean too if I recall? Did you get that resolved?

I'm seeing about 27mpg at stg2 with highway cruising around 70mph.

I am still in process of trying new gas, and doing my 3k oil change this weekend before I start doing a fresh log later this week.

Probably not a very good representation, as I only have 500mi on the car and am relying on the trip computer to do the math so far. A 110 mile round trip with mixed speed zones and many hills and twisties showed 27.9MPG on my 09 3.0R Ltd. With 100% stop and go city driving it has been between 22 and 23MPG.

Wow you guys are getting pretty good numbers with the H6 the 2009 2.5i Outback loaner I am driving right now I can only manage 25-26 80% highway commute. For referance my stg 1 mt GT does about 22-23 on the same commute.

:rolleyes:"All right, brain, I don't like you and you don't like me - so let's just do this and I'll get back to killing you with beer." :spin:

I haven't done my full commute for a weeks time yet, so it is hard to say, but it looked like I was getting right around 30mpg per gauge at almost 80mph in S mode.

Overall I've been getting 20 for my first few tanks. But I'm not really driving it for economy at the moment.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

You guys make me feel as if I alone am responsible for global warming ......I get approx. 13.5 to 15 mpg on my spec b. Granted, it's all city driving -lot's of stop and plenty of GO!
Do it right the first time.........or don't bother doing it at all.

Hmmm, as the OP i ought to chime in, took my first commuting trip in my , new-to-me, LGT auto. The car has 80k miles and kumho ecsta summer tires on wider aftermarket wheels. I set the psi right around 35 on all 4 corners. My commute is 50 miles of country two lanes, hiway and 2 miles off ramp stop and go to work. The trip in to work I kept it at 68 mph on hiway and 55 on the two lane averaging 24 on the trip computer, no turbo use at all, even up the hills just let the speed drop off a little to keep the throttle light.

I filled up with sunoco 93, BTW.;)

On the way home, which tends to be somewhat uphill, averaging in the 70's with bursts over 80 the mpg dropped in the 20-21 area, overall average 22.5 roundtrip.

Yous guys doing hi 20's and 30's! :eek:

How!?!? Are you driving manuals?

I do like this car!!

Got through the first tank on my 3.0R Ltd and was able to calculate the mileage and compare to the trip coputer. This tank was about 90% city driving and averaged 22.3MPG. Note that this is on a car with 600miles and me giving it the normal "mixed" break in routine :) The trip computer read 23.7MPG.

I AM driving a manual. Part of your problem is probably the Sunoco 93. I've ALWAYS gotten crappy economy with their fuel.

rtbrjason - Are you using cruise? I'm going to try going 70 and seeing what happens in my OB. I'm sure the ride height has a good amount to do with the fuel economy I'm seeing. That will be fixed soon enough though.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

I drive a 08 LGT and I average 20-21mpg around town driving. I got 30.7 last month going 900+ miles from Omaha to San Antonio when I was really trying to maximize my mpg, and 27.5 on the way back with the cruise set on 80 for the entire drive and the AC on.

Archived