Plug n Play Aux-in mod for 2005 6cd radios

jazzymt

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So you just cut the wires a few inches from the cigarette adapter, removed some of the casing and then twisted the wires together? Once that is done, just tape everything together so it holds, right?

Pretty much. I obviously taped the 2 wires separately first and then taped them together, but yea that's all I did. I didn't see any place where I wanted to put the ground so I just cut the end off of the black wire and twisted it around the other black wire on the power outlet.

Soldering is one of the simplest things in the world on 2 wires and it would make that connection much stronger and infinitely safer. It may stay like that, but I know I wouldn't trust a twist with the bouncing of driving.

Fray the ends, interlock the copper strands, and twist it together in line with the wires horizonally, not in a knot. Then solder a tiny bit before taping.

I searched the forum, but could not find this anywhere...

Not to take anything away from Jazzy, as I enjoy the Jazzy board and iPod in my car. But a friend of mine (also with Legacy) just sent me this link. It's cool, but I wonder what it costs (Lots more then the Jazzy board)!

http://mobile.jlaudio.com/gallery_pages.php?page_id=191

Ehhh a twist is fine. Thats what electrical tape is for, it'll keep the connection from getting loose. You just need to make sure the twist is tight and then tape them individually and then tape them together. But thats my opinion and everyone has a different opinion on how to do something.

"Ehhhh" I never said it wasn't a better way I just said that taping was fine and simple...especially if you don't already have a soldering iron or it isn't broken. So in conclusion both work and it's not really worth arguing over because I do agree with you that soldering is better and since I'm sure not everyone owns a soldering iron taping is also good. ;)

Does anyone out there have a reference for a good installer for the Jazzy aux-in kit in the Seattle area? I have some experience at this kind of thing, but am willing to pay a pro to do it right the first time. I have a 2005 Legacy Wagon with dual climate control et. et.

Thanks!

..........by the way, I would like to install this kit in a 2005 Legacy Wagon.

You really don't need to have a pro do it. It really is that easy. I have very little experience with this type of stuff and I was able to do it. The only reason it took me so long was because I misplaced a part and didn't know how to splice the wires.

Unless you have tons of cash to spare, save the money and do it yourself.

I agree. The process was really simple and the instructions that Jazzy provides are helpful along with all of the posts included in this thread. Also if you run into any issues everyone is very willing to offer advice or help. Plus its a good experience to do this on your own.

Does anyone out there have a reference for a good installer for the Jazzy aux-in kit in the Seattle area? I have some experience at this kind of thing, but am willing to pay a pro to do it right the first time. I have a 2005 Legacy Wagon with dual climate control et. et.

Thanks!

I just installed the board last night in my 05 wagon. It really is straight forward and easy with the instructions that jazzy has. The sound is great, just what I was hoping for. I have had friends with those fm transmitter things that sound like crap and I didn't want to go that route. If you take your time you should have no problem doing the install yourself.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, despite a great offer from a member offline, I decided to try this install on my own. Needed some medication for the usual pain/muscle issues and all, but really wanted to try on my own. Used my car first, in case something screwed up - the spouse's car will be next.

Except for some guidance on considerations for placement of the GLI - in this case, I taped it to the bottom of the radio assembly - everything was very clear. I added a scratch to my shifter knob when a towel covering fell off, but otherwise things look good. I'm also noticing a number of small scratches on the plate which surrounds the shifter knob, but those are too numerous to have been done by this assembly (and, it was covered with a towel after removal). Just the typical worries and oversensitivity after doing a custom interior job.

My drilling for a grommet next to the DC plug in the handrest compartment went slightly astray (stupid muscle issues!), but the grommet covered up most of the issue well. I keep a syncwrap on the shipped line out cable, so as to manage the length easily.

But, the sound works exactly as expected. Turn the COWON D2 to volume 49 with flat EQ and no effects (which emulates a Line Out signal, in many ways), and the volume on my Outback 2.5i Limited head unit stays either the same or a 1-2 numbers higher than usual with CDs. Quality is just what I desired to hear - no noise, no filtering, no EQ added.

It would have taken me about 2.5 hours, but overlapped with dinner and bedtime for the kids.

Next comes the Forester.

I'd recommend this for any Subaru owner looking for similar Aux In capability.

- wader

Turn the COWON D2 to volume 49 with flat EQ and no effects (which emulates a Line Out signal, in many ways), and the volume on my Outback 2.5i Limited head unit stays either the same or a 1-2 numbers higher than usual with CDs. Quality is just what I desired to hear - no noise, no filtering, no EQ added.

What is COWON D2?

I just did the install a couple of weeks ago. I split the input using a y connector and connetced my XM unit directly which helped the vlume and sound tremendously. also I ran an Aux in into the center cupholder so i can plug in my MP3 player. The main reason for the install was for the use of an MP3 player but I am now using the XM a lot more because the volume while using the MP3 player is weak.

Any thoughts? i was hoping it wouldbe as loud as the CDs but noavail.

Great product!

Rehab is for quitters.

What is COWON D2?

This is a COWON D2.

A portable, touchscreen media player for audio, video, viewing text files, Flash Lite applications, alarm clock/wakeup mode, etc. COWON as a portable media player company has been around awhile - longer that Apple has been making iPods. The D2 model has been their foot in the door for the US market, in some respects.

The main reason for the install was for the use of an MP3 player but I am now using the XM a lot more because the volume while using the MP3 player is weak.

Did you try the MP3 player before splitting?

Which port and what sound settings are you using on the player for this Aux In capability?

The D2 has no separate Line Out - the headphone jack at volume 49 (out of 50) with flat EQ and no effects is unofficially called their virtual Line Out, because it essentially acts much like one (and is similarly clean). But, each device has its own needs for output to an external amp.

- wader

• 2 weeks later...

It is common however for an iPod & Sirius especially (I dunno why, but Sirius units seem to be on the average the worst) to have slightly lower voltage signals than the internal line levels for the CD player. I would expect the signal from HK D&P to be the best out of the three, but it's possible (depending on your encodings) to still be low.

I installed mine this weekend and it works, but there is one slight issue. When I have my sirius plug'n'play receiver on the cradle, the cd volume is about 8-10 steps lower than normal, even with the sirius turned off. If I remove the sirius tuner from the cradle or unplug the aux cable, the volume returns to normal. The sirius volume is also the same 8-10 steps lower than the radio any time I'm using it. Is this a problem with the board or just the nature of the beast? For comparison's sake, in my last Subaru (1990 Legacy) and my Dodge truck, both with the same JVC HU; I had the keep the line in volume for the sirius about 3-4 steps higher on a 0-60 scale.

• 2 weeks later...
are there instructions for the Pro Ipod Kit, i.e., where/how to install the GLI and the charger/adaptor cable? The PDF doesn't refer to these. Or are people using a normal ipod charger and connecting the audio via the headphone jack? seems like you'd lose quality. anyways am very interested and would love to know if anyone has any directions on how to wire the GLI and charger. thanks!

This is about all I've got:

http://www.jazzyengineering.com/ProKit-iPod2.pdf

As far as power - I would recommend tapping into the cigarett lighter wires under the radio. Let me know if I can help with anything else. Good luck with your install.

[CENTER][URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18504"]Subaru Plug & Play Aux-in Mod[/URL][/CENTER] [CENTER][URL="http://www.jazzyengineering.com"]www.jazzyengineering.com[/URL][/CENTER]

This is about all I've got:

http://www.jazzyengineering.com/ProKit-iPod2.pdf

As far as power - I would recommend tapping into the cigarett lighter wires under the radio. Let me know if I can help with anything else. Good luck with your install.

many thanks! looking SO forward to this. can't believe I haven't done it sooner as this FM transmitter is driving me bananas :D