LegacyGT.com

Rotors - stock vs NAPA/cheap

caramall2

How are cheap Napa/autozone rotors vs stock? I need to replace my current rotors and just curious if $40 napa are terrible. This is primarily for street application. (I would track the car on stock with upgraded pads...not sure about with NAPA rotors.) A big difference in metal type/content? Any experience? I'm pretty tough on my rotors even on the street.

I've used all sorts of upgraded rotors, but have no experience with cheapie ones :-0

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stock rotors lasted me nearly 145K miles with lots of mountain towing, canyon-carving and stop-go traffic in SoCal. I'd replace with Centric standard or premiums. Seems about the same price, but difference is Made in USA. NAPA/AZ are typically Chinese versions.
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Not Subaru but...

Did the breaks on my Venza last spring... replaced 4 corners with Napa Ultra Premium rotors and pads. So far so good. Actually, they seem to be doing better than the OEM. The OEM rotors got warped quickly.

After tracking my car for 4 years now I can tell you that the Napa Ultra Premium rotors are just fine, even on the track. I used to spend extra cash for the nice DBA's until I noticed many of the other guys at track days with various makes and models seemed to be running NAPA's nice rotors. They held up / got equally abused. Ultra Premiums for my '05 are like $75 a piece.

Amazon has the Centric front rotors for $57 a piece.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000IY4A2W/ref=oh_details_o04_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1]Amazon.com: Centric Parts 120.47024 Premium Brake Rotor with E-Coating: Automotive[/ame]

I did front and rears with those and stoptech pads I've been happy. Had a seized caliper slide and had to replace them with advanced auto parts stuff but working fine now.

We used to carry the Centric Standards but the premiums with the coating are significantly nicer and hold up better to the elements here in NJ.

-Mike Paisan

http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/153798190.jpg

Maintaining, Modifying and Educating TriState Enthusiasts since 2001.

Like us on Facebook! | E-mail: sales@azpinstalls.com | 725 Fairfield Ave | Kenilworth, NJ 07033 | 908.248.AZP1 (2971) |AIM: AZP Installs

"Race Tested, Enthusiast Approved!"

• 2 weeks later...

Took a chance and sanded the rotors a bit with Garnet paper. Then removed ceramic pads and stuck in some higher performance ones (Bobcats) that I had used before (they were just a bit too noisy with the Wilwood set up last time I used).

Did a few medium braking runs to try and remove remaining deposits, then did full up bed-in procedures. So far so good.

Feels great to be on real pads for a change too ;-). I used to run bobcats and even XP8 on the street and XP12 on the track. Nice to have some decent grab for a change.

Forgot to check rotor thickness but it's not very worn (put on new centric a couple years ago and fairly quickly put on the ceramic pads which cause little rotor wear; no tracking on the rotors either).

Thanks again for everyone's input.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived