LegacyGT.com

Opinions on Profile/Infinity amps

Helfrick

Contemplating a new system using two of these amps: [URL]http://www.crutchfield.com/S-1qI33jAycRU/cgi-bin/prodview.asp?I=489AP1040&g=120&s=0&cc=01[/URL] Does anyone have any experience with them? I'd like to know about sound quality/reliability. Comparing the specs against a more expensive but less powerful Alpine amp shows the Profile with better THD and SNR numbers. Option #2 [url]http://www.crutchfield.com/S-1qI33jAycRU/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?s=0&c=3&g=120&I=108R5760A&o=p&a=1&cc=01&avf=Y&search=[/url] I have always been enamored with the Infinity line. Less power, but about the same price as two of the profiles.

Haven't ever used either of those. I am a big fan of Alpine though. They make great equiptment...well untill it gets stolen :( ...the fate of my last system. What are you using for a head unit? The best part about some of Alpine's stuff was the ability to control everything including amp controls through the deck. Alpine always under-rates their equiptment too... Not really much info on infinity amps here. Had some of their speakers, very nice. Lasted long time with no problems. I also like Boston Acoustics...great sound.

I'd stay away from profile only because of their previous "california" line that seemed to be a flop (they weren't that great). You wont get even close to the wattage that profile is promising (although you most likely wouldn't with infinity either). If you're on a budget, I would say try to go for Kicker (I'll sell you one used), but if you're looking for the best, go for soundstream, carver, lanzar, nakamichi, etc. If you're just powering a sub, you're not really going to hear the THD, especially from the trunk. Either way, keep THD under .10% and you can't hear the difference anyways.

Both are sub-par amps. Eclipse makes good amps as does kicker. Alpine has done me good in the past as well. I guess it would help to know what exactly are you gonna run with the amp? Don't worry too much about THD if your gonna run a sub. It is typically lower in the low pitches than in the highs....they give you an average TDH. SNR is directly related to power...the profile has a higher RMS than the infinity hence a higher SNR. Which this measurement should just be renamed MPO.
OBAMA......One Big Ass Mistake America!

I figured you all wouldn't like them. As cheap as they are, I was thinking twice. The setup I'm thinking about: Front door: Polk db somethings 6.5" seperates Rear door: Stock for now, maybe a 6.5" two way later Sub: 1 Infinity perfect 10 in a sealed box. I'm not an audiophile, I just want clean and loud. The ability to roll up the windows and drown out the kids with the rattling trunks and bikers with straight pipes would be nice. The stock setup actually sounds half decent to me, but I will blow the speakers at some point.

• 1 year later...

Archived