LegacyGT.com

which out of these cars are worth going to look.

dtgodmage

99 sus 87 k :new motor http://denver.craigslist.org/ctd/4895618191.html

99 gt limited 89 k http://denver.craigslist.org/ctd/4888516902.html

01 gt limited 167 k http://denver.craigslist.org/ctd/4880146368.html

02 h6 sedan 5k http://denver.craigslist.org/ctd/4905872066.html

03 h6 sedan 144k 7k http://denver.craigslist.org/ctd/4900308059.html

i have 2k saved and can finish paying 7k within a year.

if which would be better suited as i'm scared of blown heads too soon

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I got My lisence in my 90 talon tsi and renew it in friends trail blazer. But i think im going to try to find a legacy gt with a 2.2 orjust get a outback sedan h6 leave itbstock forver and if i go older gt limitrd save for a hybrid sti swap with the 2.0 wrx head and sti block save in a year or two or revist the idea and ask yall. But can someone enlighten me if any of the 04 and above legacys have better head gasket reliability i hear the 05 is awful. Please be kind to a guy trying toblearn

No matter the year there are more cars that didn't have gasket leaking than did every case is different and depends on maintenance mileage and luck. 2.2s didn't seem to have the issues the 2.5 does, the newer engines seem to fair better but they don't have the mileage the older ones do.

If you can get a cheap one with leaking gaskets and fix it you could save yourself a lot of money these engines are easy to regasket and with regular coolant changes and subaru conditioner it will last forever or until the next timing belt change.

I got My lisence in my 90 talon tsi and renew it in friends trail blazer. But i think im going to try to find a legacy gt with a 2.2 orjust get a outback sedan h6 leave itbstock forver and if i go older gt limitrd save for a hybrid sti swap with the 2.0 wrx head and sti block save in a year or two or revist the idea and ask yall. But can someone enlighten me if any of the 04 and above legacys have better head gasket reliability i hear the 05 is awful. Please be kind to a guy trying toblearn

Please stop interneting.

If your going to be a dickhead why post at all im a newb to subaru and cars what each models differnces are car 101 and wiki aint the best. Asfar as working on one i have no knowledge or friends capable of doing so if i buy i want it to be ready for 100 000 k right now it seems older legacy gts with 2.2 or an outback sedan is what i take will give me least chances for problems

Honestly, if you don't have any knowledge on how to work on a car, maintenance will cost you no matter what you buy. Buying a car that old from a dealer seems like a poor choice. You're better off spending less and going to a private sale and having it inspected by your choice of mechanic before buying (do this for any car you buy at a dealership as well). That being said, you could also look at a newer one, put down a nice deposit with the cash you have, and have a very low payment. Buying an older car with over 100K miles on it, or one with a recent engine swap with no specifics, is a bad idea when you don't know how to work on a car.

Just my $0.02

In all honesty i dont want to spend more then 7k that i could pay off. Ive found a 98 gt with a 2.2 swapped with the metal gasket and its done by a local dealer who has got good reviews and sells alot of subbies its 4900 and they said i could take it too a subaru dealer and have them inspect it also has a 6 month warranty. I can learn to do the maitence. Lack of grammar is because i post from my lg g3 and i dont do grammar. I was hoping you guys would be nic3 but seems vast majority are dick heads forgetting what ita like to be in my situation.

You would be better off buying a used civic for 2 grand, putting snow tires on it and beating it for 4 to 5 years. You can then throw it away and get another civic for 2 grand and some snow tires and profit even more.

You really shouldn't bother with a subaru if engine problems are that much of a concern for you. The awd alone doesn't make up for it.

I really dont want a honda i have a 1990 dx and its awful to drive. Im set on getting awd and a subaru. Butbto be honest im not sure i could tell apart a 2.2 or a 2.5 i can spot a turbo but like you guys said dont get a turbo model which leaves me with a vdc or finding a 2.2 swap. I need the awd so i can get around the snow in colorado my mom is disabled and i need a car that can handle weather this civic is way to hard to drive and i sank in 2500 in suspension and few performance upgrades and mini rebuild. I just want you guys to give me all the info i need to find a solid subbie to buy. Im not scared of somethong going wrong just not within the first year two of owning it. I see all kinds of 2.2 blocks and 2.5 blocks for under 800 bucks on craigslist here and im sure i cam find a decent mechanic as i run into alot of performwnce car at my job ay a gas station. I just fear something going wrong while its not paid off and im forced to take a loan and pay that and a car off on 15 k a year. I dont pay rent and i get like 400 600 in free spending cash a month literally piss away

Again, I'm sure you think I'm being a dick, but:

http://www.ehow.com/list_6030279_colorado-laws-punishment-driving-license.html

This is what happens when you drive without a valid license.

Oh, and since you don't have one of those, you don't have insurance, either, which is a HUGE risk, considering your semi-indigent status AND with a sick/disabled person in your household, whom, I assume allows you to stay there, as well. Or is it the other way around? In any case, if the house is indeed owned/mortgaged by them, and you're out gallivanting around with no license or insurance and you cause an accident, or are even involved in one, serious consequences can be leveled upon you and your loved ones. At the very least, a significant lien of tens of thousands can be placed upon that property as a result of your inability to pay damages stemming from an accident for which you were at-fault; such a lien can (and often does!) result in the forfeiture or loss of that home, which is usually the bitter end to what also includes job loss and/or jail time, a judgement being entered against you, which, combined with a documented record of negligence and/or financial irresponsibility, can limit your employment options to minimum-wage menial jobs that won't come close to supporting a life without significant debt, let alone one with. In such a scenario, you'd be lucky to even own a car, let alone put gas in it to get to work.

Additionally, Colorado is a contributory negligence state. This means that should you be involved in an accident that's not your fault, your ability to collect damages, if any, will be severely diminished by the fact that you do not possess a valid driver's license or insurance.

Pick any mode of death you like and combine it with two or three others - Murder, drug overdose, skydiving accidents, shit, throw genocide in there, just for good measure. Fact: NONE of those, combined even come close to the number of deaths as a result of auto accidents in the United States. And honestly, death is the lesser of the two evils -- What would you do if you were injured and couldn't work and were buried in massive medical and legal debt?

And guess what? ALL of it is completely avoidable by participating in the structures that society has in place to prevent these horrible outcomes.

Stop shopping for a car until you have a license and insurance.

And for those of you who think I'm an asshole for pointing this out -- Shift your focus. As an insurance professional, I can tell you with confidence that guys like the OP who drive without a license and insurance (and drive a Subaru, at that!) are largely responsible for the inflated rates we pay for auto insurance. ;)

I own my honda and have insurance. I need this new car it has to happen not for just my sake my job but also for my mother who has a had time driving the honda and honestly i do to. Im not driving with out a lisences im an adult with alot more sense then that. If you guys want to act like this dude above maybe il just leave this website alone. Im trying to learn what to lookbout for when buying a legacy gt 2.5s looking out for 2.2 issues aswell and 3.0 vdcs i logged in 72 hours behind the wheel with the local police driving school reccomended through my insurance company the last month alone got another 18 lined up this week. So i think im doing well only time i get behind the wheel is with mom friends or at the school mostly there

I own my honda and have insurance. I need this new car it has to happen not for just my sake my job but also for my mother who has a had time driving the honda and honestly i do to. Im not driving with out a lisences im an adult with alot more sense then that. If you guys want to act like this dude above maybe il just leave this website alone. Im trying to learn what to lookbout for when buying a legacy gt 2.5s looking out for 2.2 issues aswell and 3.0 vdcs i logged in 72 hours behind the wheel with the local police driving school reccomended through my insurance company the last month alone got another 18 lined up this week. So i think im doing well only time i get behind the wheel is with mom friends or at the school mostly there

Still doesn't add up.

I quote your original post, which claims you don't have a license, and suddenly you do, plus you have insurance?

I've been reading thru your comments. I'm confused. You have had a license for how long? And why would you be taking a driving school, as that's only required when you have a learner's permit or if you have had a suspended license.

With regards which subaru to buy based on your current mechanical ability and financial constraints, the answer is none. You can't afford to fix it if it fails, and you don't have enough money to pay for a mechanic either. $400/month "pissing away" money barely pays for gas and insurance. On top of which, a $15k/year job works out to $7.50/hr before taxes, which nets to ~4.50/hr or $9k/year. Based on your "pissing away" comment, your take home is less or its closer to $750/month? If I was 28 years old and making $7.50/hr, I'd be looking at improving my job skills to be able to afford a better life.

Now that you have labelled me a troll, the answer to your original question is a classic line from Star Wars "These are not the droids you are looking for".

Buying a subaru which you need to be a dependable driver for carting you to work and your disabled mother elsewhere, your first thoughts should be finding a car that is, well, dependable. A Honda, which you already own, with 4 snow tires will get you any place you *need* to go. Does it look "cool"? no. It's not supposed to. It's dependable.

Save your "pissing away money" for a year, then buy a Subaru for cash. In the meantime, while at the garage, bug the mechanics to teach you how to work on cars. That way, when you do buy your Subaru you won't have to someone $100/hr to work on your $7.50/hr car.

I'm not trying to chase you away. Buying a used subaru requires a financial commitment and/or a willingness to work on your car. If you have neither, this is not the car for you.

If you want to know more, I invite you to read thru the maintenance sections which walk you thru how to do the work: http://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php/technical-forums-4.html

Archived