LegacyGT.com

Got towed

Hey guys,

My 2005 legacy wagon gt with auto, got towed tonight. Wasn't by choice and ill let you use your imagination why. Not too happy, so as the tow truck driver came up to it, I asked him to put it up on Dolly's due to awd, he loosely asked if manual, I say auto, and he says.... It's ok, it's ok.

I walk away, pretty pissed and not wanting to stick around the situation anymore. I get to the corner and see my wagon up on the front, and rear wheels on the ground. Honestly I wasn't surprised, the quicker these guys do it, the more money they make.

Anyways, I imagine he threw it in neutral and got the fack outta there. I know where it was towed to, only 5 Km/8 miles away.

I have limited trust that these guys kinda/hopefully know what they're doing,

But would this cause any problems that I should follow up on? I'm a little concerned, if I had full control I would have used a flat bed obviously.

Any input to maybe put my mind at ease would be appreciated.

You need to start making calls finding out why your was not handled correctly.

The tow company will be paying for the repairs.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

You guys are fueling the rage and anger, and quite honestly, freaking the **** outta me.

So, I'm not saying you're wrong, but how do you just know automatically that it'll be fucked. What's actually happening component wise that wrecks the car. I checked the manual, it first said flatbed is the best way, but it also mentions about towing it on all fours, how would this be different.

I'm fairly new to subarus so I'm not too familiar with this(awd)kinda stuff.

• Mega Users
You guys are fueling the rage and anger, and quite honestly, freaking the **** outta me.

So, I'm not saying you're wrong, but how do you just know automatically that it'll be fucked. What's actually happening component wise that wrecks the car. I checked the manual, it first said flatbed is the best way, but it also mentions about towing it on all fours, how would this be different.

I'm fairly new to subarus so I'm not too familiar with this(awd)kinda stuff.

Dollies are fine as they keep all 4 wheels off of the ground. You said that the rear wheels were on the ground while the front were not. The rear wheels are being forced to move while the front wheels are being held still. The center differential is probably destroyed.

It should drive unless something broke after it was cooked.. There has been a few people that have driven the cars with bad center diffs with just FWD for a little bit, but its definately not recommended, especially in bad weather or on a dyno b/c thats when it will be used the most.

I'd have to be unconscious in the back of an ambulance for something like this to happen. You said you were standing and talked to the tow operator. Broken and un-driveable probably not. Not damaged at all, highly unlikely. Taken some years of life off the center diff, most assuredly. This is a full time AWD system. It's not designed to run with only two wheels. Sorry you are in this crummy situation.

I know that's what everybody says, I blew between .05-.08, they don't give you a number. Depending on your size .05 is about one drink per hour. I could have easily drove around the checkstop, I drove right thru. But I am lucky. Just a warning, and 72 hour suspension.

The cop heard me ask the tow truck driver for dolly's, even repeated it.

I will try to contact her, and another towing firm and ask what protocol is for my car, and see what the cars like when I pick it up.

Thanks all.

towing on all 4s is only for the sti

just elaboring cause i know the op is dying to know

the automatics are different center diffs, its all gear driven, no clutches. plus without the engine running transmission fluid is not being circulated through the diff, so no fluid on something trying to move burns it up

5eat downshift rev match:):wub:

Powder coated wheels: completed:)

Call the dealer, talk to the service manager, see what they say ?

I'm sure they would love to check it out and send the bill to the tow company.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Archived