LegacyGT.com

Stuck from Rusted Brakes

My LGT sat still in the driveway for the past two weeks. I was on vacation one week and came home with the FLU the second week.:mad:

Anyhow....today I decided to at least get out of the house and take ride. She started fine, I let her idle for a 30 seconds and put it in reverse. I gave her a little gas....nothing, won't move. Checked to make sure the ebrake wasn't pulled still...nope.

A little more gas...nope, won't budge. Tried going forward....nope, not happening.

I placed it in reverse again....3K RPM.....4K RPM......5K RPM....BANG:eek:.....she broke free.

The first few stops the car had almost ZERO braking ability, and the sound was awful. :redface:

I've NEVER had a cars brakes RUST so quickly.

- The Mortgage Man

I thought it was just my imagination, but it does seem like rust builds up on the rotors quickly. It's my DD and I got home at 11 last night and at 10 this morning when I went out to do some weekend chores I noticed they were rusty (it did rain last night, but compared to my wifes JEEP there is a considerable difference.

Yep, the sound drive me nuts the first handful of stops. I usually stand on the brakes a couple times on purpose to get rid of it. Seems to be worse since I upgraded pads to Hawks. Better braking mind you, just worse sound the first few stops.

That's a "normal" problem, and you may get less of that problem if you have less open rims. But you can't get rid of it completely.

One thing to consider is that rusty discs means that the discs are relatively free from other metals and are almost pure iron. This makes them a bit soft, but they will get a better bite than if you had stainless discs (or as some chopper guys do - chrome them :eek:).

Maybe a removable wheelcap can be useful if you are going to park your car for a longer time. This will at least keep some more direct moisture from collecting.

453747.png

I have actually seen it lately from 8 - 5 when I get to work and when I leave, with the rainy weather lately. I don't think it's a "problem" The open rims do make sense, but my wifes JEEP is just as open.

Do you know for sure that it's rust and not ice forming - either on your E-brake linings or on the disc brake pads themselves - that's causing the lockup? Used to have this problem all the time during the Winter in Maine (and we lived DownEast on the coast so there was always plenty of moisture). It mostly happened when I set my E-brake, which promptly froze the linings to the inside of the rear e-brake drums (rear disc brakes). But it also happended with the disc pads too. Once I started leaving the E-brake "off", that issue stopped, but the wet pad/rotor contact points still continued to freeze.

I'd agree that the rust does occur (within a few hours in some cases), and it does make a racket until it clears, but the moisture content that causes it is likely what's freezing the pads to the rotors (front and rear), the rust is the secondary issue in my experience.

SBT

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Both my Subarus have rusted literally overnight. Never have had a problem breaking free though. Does make an interesting noise.

My truck never does though. Kinda weird considering it sits alot more often.

• 9 months later...
Do you know for sure that it's rust and not ice forming - either on your E-brake linings or on the disc brake pads themselves - that's causing the lockup? Used to have this problem all the time during the Winter in Maine (and we lived DownEast on the coast so there was always plenty of moisture). It mostly happened when I set my E-brake, which promptly froze the linings to the inside of the rear e-brake drums (rear disc brakes)..........

I think I experienced the frozen parking brake syndrome today. My car was parked in a lot, after driving about 12 miles over snow and ice covered roads. The temp was around 10 degF. After an hour, I get back into the car, and proceed to drive away, when I feel resistance and then BAM! the parking brake pads release. I now have my ABS light on, and "Er SS" being displayed on the trip odometer.:eek: I think the error lights are from me dragging a locked up rear tire for 10 ft through a snow covered parking lot!!

Looking through my owners manual, I see that Subaru recommends not using the parking brake in cold weather, when parking for "long periods". I did not have these problems last winter, but then the temps were usually above 25 degF.

This happened to me last year once with my parking brake. When it's snowy or freezing temps outside I just leave the car in first gear and turn the front tires to the curb. Depends on which way I'm parked on a hill though.

......when I feel resistance and then BAM! the parking brake pads release. I now have my ABS light on, and "Er SS" being displayed on the trip odometer.:eek: I think the error lights are from me dragging a locked up rear tire for 10 ft through a snow covered parking lot!!..........

I feel lucky today. Disconnected my battery for a few hours, then started the car, the "Er SS" was no longer displayed, but the ABS light was still on. Drove a few feet, and the ABS light went off, and the brakes are working normally again.:)

Archived