LegacyGT.com

Remanufactured calipers for GT - where?

Hi

I did extensive search but failed to find recent links...

I procrastinated all summer, but finally got to fixing my vibrating and heating front wheel. One of my front calipers frozen and pistons are rusted beyond repair I think. So I need a new front calipers. Don't want to spend too much money for my winter car.

Is there a good source for re manufactured calipers for GT 07?

Thanks!

OP, have you searched on line ?

NAPA offers 10% off if you have a AAA account.

https://www.google.com/search?q=front+caliper+for+a+2005+subaru+legacy+GT&hl=en&gbv=2&tbm=shop&oq=&gs_l=

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Thanks guys you rock! Ordered from rockauto, it looks like with core return it'll be about $50 pp.

Now I have a question about removing caliper. When I unscrew the line - how do I keep the brake fluid from gushing all out? All DIY's I've seen don't show this moment...

Fluid is going to leak out regardless, plus anyways you're going to have to rebleed them once you put the new one on. This would be a good time to flush out the old fluid from the system.

I know, I'm going to flush it. But I though it would be good not to let air into the system. :spin:

I've taken off both my front calipers before and brake lines, it's not going to hurt anything if air gets in there, it's going to happen. Just make sure you bleed the system properly when putting in new fluid.
My wife's balls are delicious.

Thanks guys you rock! Ordered from rockauto, it looks like with core return it'll be about $50 pp.

Now I have a question about removing caliper. When I unscrew the line - how do I keep the brake fluid from gushing all out? All DIY's I've seen don't show this moment...

Not sure if "gush" is the correct word. It will come out in a slow but steady stream and than drip. Just put something under to collect the runoff.

Once the stream stopped I ziptied the line to the strut so its pointing up. prevents a little little bit from dripping. But yes you will have to bleed the system regardless.

It's more of a drip as long as you leave the cap on the master cylinder. Think about it. You can hold fluid in a straw with your thumb over the top of it.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

I just did mine. I got remanufactured Tokico's from the local Mom and Pop store which happens to be a Bumper to Bumper. I forget what I paid but it was less than the local NAPA. Not dogging NAPA, it was just cheaper in my area.

Also, I grabbed a bolt and flanged nut with two old crush washers out of my hardware stash. As soon as I pulled the hose off, I put the bolt thru with a washer on each side and snugged the nut so the fluid wasn't dripping while I was working.

Also, I grabbed a bolt and flanged nut with two old crush washers out of my hardware stash. As soon as I pulled the hose off, I put the bolt thru with a washer on each side and snugged the nut so the fluid wasn't dripping while I was working.

Excellent advice! I JUST came back from the garage to check torque specs on banjo bolts before doing it, and read this! Perfect timing. :)

The caliper came with TWO copper washers. I put two of them on both sides of the incoming hose and it was a mess... My torque wrench only goes as low as 18, so I over-torque it and the top washer is... not looking good anymore

How do I torque 13 lb/ft without a proper wrench?

Strangely, the original factory setup didn't have any washers.

Excellent advice! I JUST came back from the garage to check torque specs on banjo bolts before doing it, and read this! Perfect timing. :)

Glad I could help.

BTW, I ran across my receipt over the weekend. My calipers were $199. out the door.

The caliper came with TWO copper washers. I put two of them on both sides of the incoming hose and it was a mess... My torque wrench only goes as low as 18, so I over-torque it and the top washer is... not looking good anymore

How do I torque 13 lb/ft without a proper wrench?

Strangely, the original factory setup didn't have any washers.

13ftlbs in not much. just snug it up, you know how much to much is. if it leaks you can always go a little more tight, you know whathappens when you go to much...

Archived