LegacyGT.com

2008 with 37k for $20.5k?

tdelker

I got a bead on a 2008 LGT with 37k. Seller is down to 20.5k, but won't go lower. NADA has a much lower book value (19k) vs KBB (22k). Trying to compare to other cars for sale is tough because of the older, low miles vehicle.

My main hesitation is that it's an auto, and I was shopping for a manual. Although I have two kids, and reaching around to hand them things is a real plus with the auto, and also not having to worry about the clutch. My manual has last 140k on the same clutch, but buying used, who knows?

I already test drove, it's in good shape.

I was not impressed with the pull though. My 05 XT wagon seems to have more, although maybe it's just not as refined and so you feel it 'kick' harder.

Any thoughts?

Tom

Pass! NADA is based off of dealers sales. Private sales should be priced less than a dealer. When I was looking at 80/09 GT in the spring of last year, $20.5k would have been a high price for 08 GT then.

IMO If you want an manual buy a manual.

Offer 17.5 and be prepared to pay 18. For that price the car and interior should be in good condition. Nothing cracked, broken, or ripped. Some wear is normal.

Also, look under the car make sure it hasn't been curbed or rashed on anything.

Of course it should be free of any and all leaks. Oil, Tranny and Coolant.

Thanks for the feedback. At 37k, it is a very low mileage 08 maintenance records from dealers already checked out. It is in near excellent shape (just some small defects from parking lot 'gifts' but minor).

Asking was 21.5k, I offered 19k, but he wouldn't go for it, could only get him to 20.5k. I may give it one more shot at 19k showing him the nada values otherwise I'll pass.

Here in colorado there is no way I could get an 08 with 37k miles for $18k. I've been watching for a while, and most auto GT limiteds are listed by the dealer at 17k to 19k with 70-90k miles on them.

Any insight as to why nada would be lower than private sales on KBB? Seems like a huge difference.

IMO KBB sucks. I have seen too many instances where it way too high or way too low for me to trust it. Sometimes it's right on and matches NADA. NADA is national auto dealers association, its not just a name its the auto dealers book. They track retails and more importantly dealer auction sales.

Back in the day, the only way to access NADA was to buy a subscription. My friends dad was an appraiser and it was something like $240 year or $30 book; it was really intended for insurance and dealers. Kbb and edmunds were consumer books you could buy at the book store. You didn't buy real NADA books at the book store. The evolve from that point to where they are today.

I bought my 09 LGT with 37.5k miles and it's a CPO through 2015 and 100k for 20k and it is near perfect. There's no way of even consider yours right now, especially not being a CPO car, and yes I live in CO so I know what you mean. Look out of state, fly and drive the car back. I bought mine in North Carolina and had it shipped here. Even with all that, it was still cheaper than buying locally.

Definitely pass. Picked up my 08 LGT (limited, 5MT) at 44.6k miles for $15.5k. Better deals can be had - you just might have to expand your search radius to find the right one. I had to drive 10 hrs for mine and have not regretted that decision for a second.

Thanks for all the feedback, I really appreciate it!

Driving to see a car many hours away is not really in the cards. With two kids and a wife in grad school, that's not going to happen. I will just have to wait until something comes up locally or near locally. I missed one because I was too slow (saw it, thought it was good but dragged my heels on calling back and it sold the next day) and there was another one I never saw that sold within 3 days.

I know what i am looking for now, I know how fast they go, so I will just take my time. Thanks,

Tom

Thanks for all the feedback, I really appreciate it!

Driving to see a car many hours away is not really in the cards. With two kids and a wife in grad school, that's not going to happen. I will just have to wait until something comes up locally or near locally. I missed one because I was too slow (saw it, thought it was good but dragged my heels on calling back and it sold the next day) and there was another one I never saw that sold within 3 days.

I know what i am looking for now, I know how fast they go, so I will just take my time. Thanks,

Tom

There are Third party companies that will inspect every inch of the car for you for $120 give or take, maybe it's just me but this is how I've purchased my last 3 vehicles and it's worked out great every time.

Tom - "Good things come to those who wait." ...just don't wait too long if a good thing shows up.

Root - I've never heard of that service. What companies have you used/provide that service? I'm picking up a 2nd car soon, so that could be useful.

I'm not much to talk numbers personally but I just paid pretty much that same amount for my 2010 lgt loaded a bit more miles tho (52k) but its a 6speed. To offer some perspective. And by 'just' I mean I left the dealer and got home 20 minutes ago. Haha

I'm not much to talk numbers personally but I just paid pretty much that same amount for my 2010 lgt loaded a bit more miles tho (52k) but its a 6speed. To offer some perspective. And by 'just' I mean I left the dealer and got home 20 minutes ago. Haha

Very good price. I would be all over that. It's exactly what I am looking for :)

Archived