LegacyGT.com

My Modest Aftermarket Stereo/Sirius/iPod Install

zenkick

I will be updating this thread with additional posts and pictures as I make additional progress.

I will be installing the following into my 05 OBXT:

Alpine 9855

Alpine KCA-410C

Alpine KCA-420i

Sirius SIR-ALP1

Scosche SLC4

Boston Acoustics S65RC

Just like others have done, I'll be using the LOC to convert the factory HU front speaker outputs into line level. I'll run that to one of the aux inputs on the 410C so I can retain use of the factory 6 disk changer in case the urge ever hits me to kick it old school.

I've spent some time exploring mounting locations in the car for the 410, 420 and Sirius boxes. Most of the feedback from the forums have suggested mounting it under one of the seats. Considering I have the factory sub (which I will also retain use of), the drivers seat is out of the question.

Under the passenger's seat, I have the mechanisms for the power seat and what looks like a control unit attached to a bracket smack in the area where I would mount these boxes. Fortunately, this control unit thingamabob was easily removed from the bracket (I did not unplug it fearing some crazy airbag problem), leaving just enough room to mount all three boxes in front of the back seat bracket. I do have to stack the 420 and the Sirius boxes on top of each other, but don't think that'll pose a problem.

I plan on running new 8-gauge power and ground leads direct from the battery posts into separate splitter/reducers. A 50 amp breaker will be inline near the battery post. Power and ground will be split out with 18-gauge into my harness configuration then into the stock HU, the 9855 and via the runs under the center console, the Sirius box. The negative ground will be split out in a similar manner, and all my components will ground against it.

Under the other side of the console, I'll be running RCA's to the Scosche LOC, and my AiNET cabling. I plan on mounting the LOC underneath or behind the stock HU.

Tonight I ran a feed wire from an unused grommet hole entering the firewall, so I can just pull the new power and ground through when ready to start the hookups. It took some doing with my fishtape, but it finally made it to the passenger side, above and to the right of the gas pedal. I don't know exactly where it comes out yet, but will find out shortly. There is plenty of room to run the wires to the back of the stereo.

Tomorrow I'll be working on soldering the harnesses.

Until then...

Yesterday I finished the power/ground run, and built the wiring harness.

I went ahead and used two reverse harnesses so I could jack right into the factory sub "T", rather than running the 6 wires, and the factory HU.

(One thing to note, the factory sub "T" uses the front speakers, and not the rear-- as some have indicated in the past. I mapped the pinouts from the "T" back to the factory harness to confirm-- memory, ground, FR +-, FL+-.)

I ignored the power and ground on the forward harness, and connected all the power and ground wires from each harness to the power/ground runs straight from the battery. I used a splitter/reducer to bridge the connections to the harness, rather than a distribution block-- it was cheaper and smaller profile, and some larger heat shrink tubing will fit right over it.

I decided to test everything out, so I did some rough connections to the battery. I had a 1/2" 4-awg ring terminal, which I used on the hot pole, but damn if I could find another ring terminal for the negative. So I stripped and tinned the end of my ground run and just wrapped it around the tension nut on the negative pole.

I hooked the harness up to everything, jacked in the antenna adapter, and haphazardly rested the new 9855 in the cubby area.

Powered on the car, and sweetness... I still had power. The Alpine HU booted right up and I had some instant static. I dialed in a radio station, verified panning and fading, and all seemed well. Loaded my reference CDA du jour (Porcupine Tree's "Deadwing") and started cranking it up slowly.

The response was flat (good!), and the factory "sub" was working as expected. I tinkered with the "media expander" function, which was kinda neat for 2 minutes, and then decided to hook up the other goodies.

I jacked in the iPod unit and my 60G iPod. The Alpine happily saw it. I also mucked around with the playlist browser-- it was speedy enough. I do see what people mean about searching through albums and artists, but I don't care so much-- all my music is in playlists.

Next I plugged in the versalink unit, and plugged the iPod box into it. Everyting still worked.

Then I plugged the Sirius box into the versalink. Nada. No Sirius source available on the new HU. WTF?

So, I rerouted things... HU-->SIRIUS-->VERSA-->IPOD.

That worked. Seems odd that the other config did not...

I attached the antenna to the roof and dropped the cable through the sunroof temporarily and pulled into the driveway. Channel 184 (weather I think) locked in pretty quickly. I jumped online and activated my lifetime Sirius subscription. In about 10 minutes, Sirius was working.

So, everything works. My wife was surprised. I was too, kind of.

Tomorrow I'll head to the post office and pick up my DIN cubby.

I'll then remove the center console parts, run the rest of my cabling, and hopefully get everything done.

I still have to figure out where to mount my 50amp fuse/holder under the hood. Any suggestions?

Oh, I do have pictures throughout so far... just haven't posed them yet.

Congrats. I zip-tied my breaker to some looming between the firewall grommet & the shock tower, it was out of the way & worked fine. Are you adding an amp to that setup? If no, 50A is a huge breaker, probably too big to really protect you. Nontheless, the only tip I have is that you've got a bottleneck at that 18g wire to the HU. Use 14g or so & you'll have better bass response.

Enjoy the system!

I'm running 4-awg for power, not 18 (I am running 14-awg for ground.) Did I misunderstand the tip, or are you referring to something else? Can't have poor bass response!

I'm using the 50 because that's what came with this silly "amp kit" that I already had. Will probably drop it down to 25, though.

Power and ground will be split out with 18-gauge into my harness configuration then into the stock HU, the 9855 and via the runs under the center console, the Sirius box.

This is what I was referring to - is this correct? I'd use something beefier to power the HU. If you're using 4g, it's crazy overkill (came with the kit, didn't it?) but won't hurt anything. Hell, you've got the wiring, now you have to add an amp...:icon_bigg.

Oh, and you can get quality aluminum ring connectors in most any size at the hardware store, usually in the bulk nuts & bolts section. There's no benefit to having them gold-plated IMO.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry folks. I got called out of town and rushed to finish the job, so I didn't take the time to take pictures of much, as I was focused on getting it done and safe to drive.

The good news is that the install went smoothly. Only some minor hitches.

The bad news is that I hate the Alpine 9855. The glidetouch is lame and in my opinion, dangerous while driving. It's also somewhat defective (I've seen other reports of the same), so I'm sending it back.

The good news is that my 9860 (no glidetouch!) is enroute and I'll be taking things apart again so I'll be able to get pics.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived