LegacyGT.com

new to the legacy, wanting advice

Yes, I'd but a BNR turbo on it, the biggest exhaust you can find and any air intake you see for sale.

10' CTS-V, A6, Airraid, 2.4 upper, ID850's, self tuned.

SOLD:06' LGT Wagon. BNR16G, Catless UP, DOWN, Hexmods VB, Hexmods diff bushings, BIG TMIC.

Best 0-60: 4.651 by AP

1/4= 13.678@100.73 mph, 1.945 60', Automatic transmission.

leave it stock till you read up on these forums and understand what things will do if you upgrade something. FYI the stock box is a cold air intake. If anything just upgrade to a K&N drop in filter for starts.

What are your goals? What is your budget? Suspension? Brakes? Power? It might help if you narrow the focus of your question a bit to really get good answers. The best way to do that is to start reading here. If you need some direction, go find out what stage 1 and stage 2 means. If you increase the power, it behooves you to assess some handling and stopping goals as well. Springs, shocks, sways are all good first pass suspension mods. For brakes, look at pads and rotors. You probably don't need a BBK soon as the stock LGT size brakes are pretty stout. No cold air intake anytime soon as the stocker flows great. If you want big power, bigger turbo is the way to go, but there are a lot of other things that really should be sorted out before you start thinking about turbo upgrades (up, down, intercooler?, bpv?, ebcs?, gauges?, etc). 5MT or 5EAT? Very different answers based on that info.

You bought an 05? Search for threads about the catalytic converter in the uppipe and also about the banjo bolt filter. These are known design weak points on the 05s and 06s and should be sorted out before you do anything else. Was the car completely stock when you bought it?

Good luck. Welcome to LGT.com. Start reading first and then get thee to modding. Enjoy!

Don't listen to those other guys. Why read a forum when you could be going fast, instead?

They want you to read first so you overthink and overengineer your mods and end up slower than them.

Big name brand parts don't do anything for these cars. Cobb, Perrin, Grimmspeed -- Those are all just rebranded parts from O'Reilley's. Don't get fooled, just head on down to your local National Auto Parts and grab a cone filter for starters. You'll net at least 10whp.

These cars need exhausts like a fat kid needs cake. Don't spend the money for Magnaflow or whatever. Disconnect your midpipe and just roll with it. Best exhuast mod you'll ever do, plus, dat subbie rumble. Net gains of 15whp and achivement: Infinite Vaginas unlocked.

Get a TD04L -- That's the best turbo you can buy for these cars. The WRX is a wayyy better car and those guys have money for upgrades, so they throw out their perfectly good turbos from 2002. Get one. As soon as you see one for sale, buy it. They don't come around often.

Wanna know everything there is to know about turbo Subarus? Ask an STi owner. They own the best and pretty much all of them know what they're talking about.

Don't listen to those guy's....;)

What model 2005 Legacy did you buy, a 2.5i or a GT ? what transmission does it have ?

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I'm new to this whole thing to and my WRX friends have me a little paranoid. Can I just take the resinator off my 05 LGT and get the subie rumble? I just replaced the turbo and don't really feel like doing anything that could damage it again.

Your WRX friends are idiots and probably don't really know about their cars. Any advice they might have for you, you should take with at least the whole shaker of salt. Nasioc isn't reknown for its volumes of technical knowledge.

why was the turbo replaced ? Did it blow ?

Read, read, read, most everything you need to know is on here.

ask us before you buy anything for the car.

get a pen and paper and make a list of things you want to do, put the cost there too.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

No, seriously...MrTris is on to something.....I have an autozone intake setup on my car that mimics Cobb and it rules...can't beat 40$ :) yeah just take your catback off, gut your down pipe and bam! Subie rumble! Oh but you do want a tune with those ;)

• Moderators
so I recently bought a 2005 legacy. I was wondering if anyone has any advice/ideas for upgrading it such as cold air intakes/turbos/exhaust and things along those lines. Any tips or help is much appreciated

here ya go: http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/so-your-noobi-read-general-lgt-info-and-go-faster-226467.html?p=4844283#post4844283

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

I bought the car with a blown turbo. Bought a new cartridge for it and put it back together. The guy I bought it from had cut all the vacuum lines which is why the old turbo blew apart. As an automotive Instructor at the local Community College I have access to all to tools and equipment needed to do most of the work myself, I just need to find a good tuner in the area.

ya so i was just looking for some ideas to start with. Not really deciding on something immediately since i gotta build of funds yet, but a good starting point is what im really looking for.

Hang around here long enough, you'll get lots of ideas.

I bought the car with a blown turbo. Bought a new cartridge for it and put it back together. The guy I bought it from had cut all the vacuum lines which is why the old turbo blew apart. As an automotive Instructor at the local Community College I have access to all to tools and equipment needed to do most of the work myself, I just need to find a good tuner in the area.

Time for your own thread.

Start one and we can answer your questions. And ask some of our own. We love to spend other peoples money...

Well, keep it stock, get a tune if u can. IF you want more speed, buy an economy car, and an old STI. Save to build the STI and drive the economy car whenever u feel like.

It's always expensive to modify your car and inconvenient if it's the only one.

haha, also forgot to say what kind of car it is. 2005 legacy outback sedan 3.0 h6 motor, automatic/sport transmission. Completely stock right now (why i got it, fresh start on it)

Keep the engine stock and if you Must do some mods stick to wheels brakes and suspension because you arent gonna be able to do much to get more power out of an automatic non turbo car...

03 WRB WRX (RIP)

04 JBP STI (sold)

07 DGM Legacy GT (RIP)

12 OBP STI (DD)

Archived