LegacyGT.com

I bought something...

• I Donated

I'm working on fabbing up a push bumper and skid plate for the Outback...

I have all the metal I need....and I picked this up today for $25

This should get interesting....I held it up to the car and it actually looks like it will fit pretty easily after making some brackets.

429544_pushbumper.jpg.23b234d2faee3c9870155c0f8959727b.jpg

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

• I Donated
Let me know how this goes. I'm really interested in making a bump guard/ light bar

Will do. I'll have pics of the fabbing process, install, and finshed product.

oh lord...... John................

*smacks face*

Why smack your face?

I'm in the process of making the best off road second gen anyone has ever seen. I've already proved that in its stock form, it can go anywhere a Jeep can go....

Now just imagine what it can do off road with full skid plates, push bumper, lighting, lifted, and an H6....

-broknindarkagain

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

• I Donated

You obviously don't know how many sets of fog lights I've gone through and how much I really don't care lol.

I think mounting the lights a little higher up (about level with the hood) will do me well.

If I have time at work today, I might start working on everything.

-broknindarkagain

COME AND TAKE IT

given enough replacement springs? :lol:;)

Idk who's broken more springs, John or Ford.

Friend of mine with a Taurus thought I was talking out of my ass when I told him his car won't pass inspection because of rear coils just by looking at the exterior of the car. I proved him wrong by looking at a destroyed coil and pulling a little piece of it off to throw at him.

• I Donated

My broken springs?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v287/broknindarkagain/96%20Outback/5fb6bbd4.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v287/broknindarkagain/96%20Outback/4f1c0f8f.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v287/broknindarkagain/96%20Outback/1bc0a6be.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v287/broknindarkagain/96%20Outback/f2fecbce.jpg

-broknindarkagain

COME AND TAKE IT

The only thing REALLY that is going to hold you back from being as good as a Jeep, truly, is the lack of low range. You can hack the body up and armor it, put big tires on it, lift it, put a winch on it, but when it comes down to it, crawler gear is what gets you over rocks, up tricky inclines etc. You are going to have to make up for it with momentum, which is fun but... Doesn't end well when rocks, trees and other close, hard skinned obstacles are involved.

I don't know too well how the subaru AWD system works, but if it can be modified to give FULL power to the RWD all the time without affecting the transmission integrity, you could run power through a stub shaft into a Suzuki Samurai divorced transfer case (which you can custom build with different low range gearsets fairly inexpensively) and utilize solid axles with real lockers instead of CVs with limited gearset options and only a rear limited slip.

The Subaru suffers from gawd awful ground clearance and like, a 10 degree approach angle. That bumper is going to hurt your approach angle. I would look at a prerunner truck style wedge skidplate in front with a bumper that actually is level or above the hood line. So if you cant get your tires up on an obstacle, you can use momentum and the wedge to slide up onto it so you can bring your tires to the obstacle. Probably will want to get a similar setup going in the rear, perhaps cutting out the spare tire well and removing the rear bumper, and fabbing one more wedge shaped and shortening your tail pipe so you can get your departure angle up. Drive up on to a steep obstacle and the cars butt will drag and your tailpipe will smash... The only other way to avoid those things without body mods is by lifting it to the sky, which also helps approach and departure angles... But still leaves 5mph impact bumper covers vulnerable.

I would also like to make my Subaru more offroadable so I've been thinking about this stuff.

Just my 2 cents on going out in the dirt, get sway bar disconnects or disconnect that shit before you go out. Last time I did I went a little too hard and the stock sway-bar just couldn't handle it. I think I was either going over a bump or hitting a hole, either way I got'er all flexed out at between 15-20mph and it snapped right at body mount. Never replaced it...

• I Donated
The only thing REALLY that is going to hold you back from being as good as a Jeep, truly, is the lack of low range. You can hack the body up and armor it, put big tires on it, lift it, put a winch on it, but when it comes down to it, crawler gear is what gets you over rocks, up tricky inclines etc. You are going to have to make up for it with momentum, which is fun but... Doesn't end well when rocks, trees and other close, hard skinned obstacles are involved.

I don't know too well how the subaru AWD system works, but if it can be modified to give FULL power to the RWD all the time without affecting the transmission integrity, you could run power through a stub shaft into a Suzuki Samurai divorced transfer case (which you can custom build with different low range gearsets fairly inexpensively) and utilize solid axles with real lockers instead of CVs with limited gearset options and only a rear limited slip.

The Subaru suffers from gawd awful ground clearance and like, a 10 degree approach angle. That bumper is going to hurt your approach angle. I would look at a prerunner truck style wedge skidplate in front with a bumper that actually is level or above the hood line. So if you cant get your tires up on an obstacle, you can use momentum and the wedge to slide up onto it so you can bring your tires to the obstacle. Probably will want to get a similar setup going in the rear, perhaps cutting out the spare tire well and removing the rear bumper, and fabbing one more wedge shaped and shortening your tail pipe so you can get your departure angle up. Drive up on to a steep obstacle and the cars butt will drag and your tailpipe will smash... The only other way to avoid those things without body mods is by lifting it to the sky, which also helps approach and departure angles... But still leaves 5mph impact bumper covers vulnerable.

I would also like to make my Subaru more offroadable so I've been thinking about this stuff.

All very valid points that I'm already addressing.

For low range, the 5MT is coming out and I'll be using the older Subaru transmission with the dual range (old GL & Brat transmission) so I can have 4 low.

As far as approach angles, There is only so much I can do to correct that. I've shaved off the lower parts of my bumpers to help out some, and I'll be angling the forward section of my skidplate to help "slide" onto the steeper inclines.

For my exhaust and rear bumper...I'm still figuring a solution for that.

But with all that being said - I'll just leave this picture here (Yes, I made it over under my own power). These cars are a lot more capable then people give them credit for.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v287/broknindarkagain/IMG1036.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v287/broknindarkagain/IMG1035.jpg

-broknindarkagain

COME AND TAKE IT

What about going strutless and getting some coilovers... I don't know how to make that work in place of struts, but it would END your spring problems and your lift problems if it could be made to work.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/King-Coilover-Shocks-10-Travel-2-5-with-Springs-/300381150000?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item45f01c9b30&vxp=mtr

I also agree very much with the swaybar disconnect. These are very popular on Jeeps, it lets the suspension on each wheels suspension to cycle independently (well, as much as solid axle will allow) and you get more wheels on the ground over uneven ground. Replacing a swaybar bolt with a pin and something to tie the swaybar up out of the way/and from dragging is all you need.

What do you think about wholesale bumper removal? It will quickly get you to a 45 degree approach angle... IE something like these. Prerunners do it because they smack into the ground from the air, tends to tuck the front bumper under the wheels, but it works for normal offroading too. I have even seen people use boat trailer rollers on creative bumpers so they could "roll up" onto obstacles and if their tires couldn't push them up onto it, they could just roll back off.http://www.digi-go.biz/iak1aaa/dsc_0001.jpg

http://www.therangerstation.com/Magazine/winter2008/NAT/dave_perry_final.JPG

• I Donated
Broke,

My son took a homemade one off of his new OLD Exploder. He was going to throw it away so I'll save it for your project in case we can use pieces off of it.

Tom

Sounds like a plan!

-broknindarkagain

COME AND TAKE IT

Archived