LegacyGT.com

instrument lights out - help needed

hi!

I have a 1995 Legacy SW. The "dash lights" aka instrument lights are not working.

I have looked at fuses - there is one for "meters" which is OK. I have gotten behind the speedo assembly and removed a sample bulb. It has resistance on my meter so I assume it is OK. Seems unlikely they all went at the same time anyway.

On the left lever for lights, there is a rotational adjustment which I assume is for dash lights. Can that fail?

Any suggestions appreciated! Does anyone know what voltage those lights run on??

thanks!

John:confused:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/10-dollar-10-minute-gauge-124039.html

Your bulbs are blown. You can replace them with stock bulbs or leds. I did red leds and i love them. That thread show people who did blue ones too.

No problem. Thank one bad bg he has saved many of us with this write up. There is also one for the heater control lights if yours are dead too.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/change-heater-control-lights-95-26408.html

tail lights OK.

Does anyone know what voltage the instruments lights run on?? Would like to be able to bench test them (have a variable voltage supply)

I gather from the video that the lights are a "dealer only" item. Is this due to the colored caps added or is the basic light itself somehow dealer only?

• 11 months later...

so this is my case i just bought a legacy a while back and i decided to put in a sound system into it and it all went fine the next day i turned on my car my dashboards lights were not working and i couldn't start my car with out pushing the little alarm dis locker under the dash board so i was wondering is this pure coincidence or is there something wrong...

my door lock fuse is also out and every time i try to replace it it just blows!

i honestly think its a grounding problem but i don't know where to look and i cant afford to take it to an electrician... any help or advice is greatly appreciated

so this is my case i just bought a legacy a while back and i decided to put in a sound system into it and it all went fine the next day i turned on my car my dashboards lights were not working and i couldn't start my car with out pushing the little alarm dis locker under the dash board so i was wondering is this pure coincidence or is there something wrong...

my door lock fuse is also out and every time i try to replace it it just blows!

i honestly think its a grounding problem but i don't know where to look and i cant afford to take it to an electrician... any help or advice is greatly appreciated

You didnt hook the wires up right in the back. The red and yellow one.

tail lights OK.

Does anyone know what voltage the instruments lights run on?? Would like to be able to bench test them (have a variable voltage supply)

I gather from the video that the lights are a "dealer only" item. Is this due to the colored caps added or is the basic light itself somehow dealer only?

Ledlights.com

Edit: 12 volts.

• 11 months later...

The instrument lights on my 97 Legacy SW have quit working. For about two weeks they would work fine until the car had been running for about 20 minutes then they would all flicker and go out. Then they just stopped coming on at all. They all turned off simultaneously so I am pretty sure the bulbs are fine.

I checked the fuse, it is good. I tried changing the illumination control unit (Under the dash by the steering column) but no joy.

Anyone have any ideas?

It was not consistently 20 minutes, seemed to vary between 20 and 30 minutes. Sometimes they would flicker a few times then stay on a few more minutes then go out. Sometimes they would just go out.

Now they don't come on at all.

Thanks for your help.

Archived