LegacyGT.com

Turtle Wax® Headlight Lens Restorer

Perrin713

Beware- Dont use this product! Today I thought I'd clean some of the cloud look to my headlights with this product. After following their steps listed on the box my headlights are now worse than before. The lens is scratched, and cloudy still! Also, their compound wouldn't come off the headlight. I had to use a real window buff compound to remove their product and some of the scratches. Thought I'd let people know about this product before they had the same results as me.

I've restored some horrid headlights, and I usually just start wet sanding the hell out them. I start at around 400 and go all the way to 2000. Then add some headlight restore goo from Mcquires or 3m. Works wonders. Look damn near perfect afterwards.

I used the Mothers kit that comes with the solution, buffer ball (that you use with the drill), etc. and it worked miracles on the wifes car. Cleaned the headlights and gave it some wet sanding and applied the solution and buffed the solution out. Went from the yellow cloudy haze to like new. I would recommend the Mothers headlight kit for sure.

• 1 year later...
I used the turtle wax stuff last month and my headlights look like new again. I didn't use the heavier grit scuff pads, since my lights weren't that bad. I imagine the agressive pad is for severly yellowed headlights, like on an 89 ford taurus or something...

I've used the crystal view headlight restoration kits on several vehicles. Works every time and a year later they still look fine. Its a good idea to hit them with a good sealant afterwards for long lasting clear.

Heres a pic I took a couple moths ago after clearing one of the original headlights on my wife's 98 outback... Car has 221k on it now and had about 217k or so when I took this.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1309209138.637287.jpg.c9aa9c5736b024bd8caf998ef629f360.jpg

Current: 16 Crosstrek Premium w/ Eyesight & 05 Outback XT 5MT

Past Subies: 14 FXT Premium, 14 WRX hatch, 06 Legacy 2.5i SE 5MT, 98 Outback wagon

I've used 3M several times on several cars and it works great! Using a sealant is a good idea as well. The first time I used it I didn't use a sealant and the lights were looking as if I had done nothing 18 months later. I'm going to work on my headlights in the next day or two. I'll try to get some photos up for your viewing pleasure.

2012 Xterra Pro-4X

2003 Outback Sedan Limited

D.U.S.T.O.F.F.

"Dedicated Unhesitating Service To Our Fighting Forces"

My 3M experience didn't go so well...? I had the opposite output as all of you, I'm actually contemplating letting a body shop do it for me. The headlight I tried to do is now more hazy/scratched than the one i didnt do =/

After a front end collision i used the turtle wax stuff to help my undamaged headlamp lens better match my new headlamp lens. Worked good for me, though the headlamp I used it on wasn't that bad. I did this over a year ago, but I don't think I used the heavy grit either as TRSCobra said.

Alright, I worked on my headlights today using the 3M system. I also applied a plastic sealer after i was done with the 3M kit. Unfortunately its hard to see the difference but if you look closely above and below the projector the difference is obvious. In person the difference is dramatic. I will be doing my friends Jeep Grand Cherokee pretty soon. Those lights are even worse off. Anyway, enjoy the pics! If you have questions feel free to ask.

Before

269485_10150219335346179_500051178_7666039_1078739_n.jpg

After

269580_10150219335271179_500051178_7666037_345523_n.jpg

2012 Xterra Pro-4X

D.U.S.T.O.F.F.

Did mine with the 3M system too and it worked great.

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii319/dbrisky/Vehicle/0629111637a.jpg

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii319/dbrisky/Vehicle/0629111637.jpg

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii319/dbrisky/Vehicle/0629111638.jpg

I used THIS STUFF this time around. Hopefully it works well. Unfortunately you wont really know until a few weeks or months later. I think this upcoming winter will be a good test.

2012 Xterra Pro-4X

D.U.S.T.O.F.F.

• 1 year later...
I used the Sylvania restoration kit (top rated by consumer reports) took my time with the sanding and polishing ( 20 min each) they came out phenominal. I highly recommend. They look brand new!!

+1 for the turtle wax kit, ... I have used it on 3 different cars and all have had GREAT results.

The sand paper is sand paper, follow the directions and you will be fine. Hell if you want to go really cheap buy some 2000 grit and steal your toothpaste out of the bathroom

yeah ive used both 3 m and turtle wax they both work if used right . theres no reason to use any sand paper below 1000 grit unless your lights are really beat up..

shit u can even use 1000, 1500, 2000, then 3000 grit papers ( in that order )then use plastic polish with a drill foam cone or pad , they will look brand new , just have to use a uv clear coat over them after u have busted your ass sanding and polishing ..... or they will be yellow in a yr or so ..

i work at a body shop i renew headlight's all the time and i use the same process as i stated above and it never fails.....

and ive done about 100 headlight over the yrs so

Archived