LegacyGT.com

New to CA, quick Cobb AP reflash question

The Green Monkey

I just moved to LA from Miami. My car (2007 LGT 5eat wagon, ~108,000 miles) has no power mods except the Cobb Stage 1 93 octane map, v3.01.

California doesn't offer 93 octane, so I know I need to reflash my map. I have my Accessport with me, but I don't have my home pc with me yet (still on a moving truck, eta as of yet unknown...). The AP only has the original version of the 91 octane maps, as I never bothered to update them while living in Florida. My car is probably on its third or fourth tank of 91 octane gas after making the drive across the country.

My question is whether I should just keep the 93 octane v3.01 map as is until I can download the latest version (v3.01) of the Arizona, California, Nevada 91 octane map, or if I should reflash ASAP to the v1.00 version of the 91 octane ACN map and then update it again once I can download the final version.

I guess what it boils down to is which option is the least worst: running a map for a higher octane gas than I'm using, or running the correct octane map in an outdated version. I don't really know how critical the various updates were--if I did, that would make the debate a lot easier...

Thanks!

Tappin' & Talkin'

I would flash on the 91oct map. While Cobb OTS maps are far from aggressive, running a higher octane map on lower octane gas you run the risk of having a tune that's too aggressive. The OEM pistons in these motors don't really like high amounts of pre-detonation.

2013 S4 - Glacier White - DSG - B&O - Tech Package - Sports Diff - Napa - RS4 Grille - Stasis Exhaust - APR Intake - KW Variant 1 - Stern Control Arms - CR-15 - Stasis RSB - Moog Endlinks - PC Hyper Black Peelers - Deval Front Lip - ECS Rear Diffuser - Carbon Imports Ducktail - ECS Mirror Caps - Relak Paddle Extensions - Autostyle Floor Mats - LED Interior - V1 - Blackvue DR900s -

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thanks!

I called Cobb this morning and they basically said the same thing as Brea - better to have the correct tune than a more current wrong tune.

Thanks for the links, but I have no idea how to get the newest map from the Internet to my Accessport without my PC, which will be on a moving truck for another week...

Tappin' & Talkin'

Aha, that could be a problem. You could borrow a PC - the AccessPort is tied to your car, but any PC that you can download AccessPort Manager to will be able to upload the maps to your AP. Hell, maybe a library PC could even do it... I'm not really sure since I haven't been to a library in years...

2013 S4 - Glacier White - DSG - B&O - Tech Package - Sports Diff - Napa - RS4 Grille - Stasis Exhaust - APR Intake - KW Variant 1 - Stern Control Arms - CR-15 - Stasis RSB - Moog Endlinks - PC Hyper Black Peelers - Deval Front Lip - ECS Rear Diffuser - Carbon Imports Ducktail - ECS Mirror Caps - Relak Paddle Extensions - Autostyle Floor Mats - LED Interior - V1 - Blackvue DR900s -

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I'm gonna guess that the library PC's do not allow software to be installed by users. Since you moved out here I am gonna suppose that you have a job here. Just ask your boss for access to one of the office computers to download AccessPort Manager then copy the maps to your AP.

All I have with me is the AP and the AP-to-OBDII cable, none of the install CDs or the AP-to-USB cable. I'm sure I can get by using the v1.00 map for a week or so before I'll have the opportunity to get the rest of my stuff and download the updated map....

Tappin' & Talkin'

Archived