LegacyGT.com

2013 Legacy 3.6R intake dyno

2013 Legacy 3.6R intake dyno.

The car is not tuned and has no other power mods. The base run was on a completely stock car, and this run is only with an intake mod.

Only difference between last run and this run are:

1. AEM panel filter

Manufacturer: AEM

MPN: 28-20304

SKU: aem28-20304

2. HKS funnel

japanparts # 381-308-001

HKS number 70999-AF001

Total cost around $150.

Total install time around 15 minutes.

My last dyno run was around 204whp. With the intake mod, I am around 210whp.

Fist is an overlay of the best run from last time and the best run this time.

All 7 runs are attached. I used the same methodology as last time for consistency. The variant was the ambient temperature which was 55 last time and 43 this time. This did contribute a little to the 5 minute cool down, but I have no way of measuring that difference.

All numbers are STP corrected running ~ 4% higher than a mustang dyno...I believe.

Conclusion: I highly suggest this to all 3.6R owners who are looking for a real gain of ~6whp for $150.

COMPARISON.thumb.jpg.0e5980f5d94abf38df7a6b82a2b01f81.jpg

1.thumb.jpg.6657d0adedec34613c6f8c691fdb6a68.jpg

2.thumb.jpg.2e2a3015ad86777894e50e08c46244f6.jpg

3.thumb.jpg.61f1df7a3a7239dd0bba1d11214d0ae5.jpg

4.thumb.jpg.0eb3f769fc3123b786e6bbd9dcea2809.jpg

5.thumb.jpg.cfd0adbe338193ed3ce427f8747c2be7.jpg

6.thumb.jpg.cd39af0e65823725fe6a6bb86bf5dc4d.jpg

7.thumb.jpg.b19e362d3f65e10891f7d75877898f23.jpg

20131209_094905.thumb.jpg.2d40ddb90da910813e30aacaa66289f8.jpg

"It's within spec" - SOA :rolleyes:

"Depth is only shallowness viewed from the side." - Fredism

"So, how much did it cost for your car to be undriveable :lol:." - Stephen (very close friend)

"You have done so much it would be stupid to go back." - Sunny of Guru Electronics

2018Q50RS | 2015WrxThread | Shrek

I’m sorry for the ignorance here but I’ve been absent for the past couple of months and not up to date with everyone’s projects and such.

Are you tuning the car as well or is this just drop in air filter and funnel numbers?

Has your car been tuned already?

I’m sorry for the ignorance here but I’ve been absent for the past couple of months and not up to date with everyone’s projects and such.

Are you tuning the car as well or is this just drop in air filter and funnel numbers?

Has your car been tuned already?

sorry...will update first post.

The intake is the first power mod.

"So, how much did it cost for your car to be undriveable :lol:." - Stephen (very close friend)

"You have done so much it would be stupid to go back." - Sunny of Guru Electronics

thanks for the info, guess I'll be getting this from Tru

I got the funnel from andysautosport in less than a week. Japanparts was going to take too long.

• 4 weeks later...
@fredrik94087 - when you have a chance, can you post a pic of your engine bay. I'm interested in how the HKS intake looks sitting the bay.

Thanks.

It is not an HKS intake. It is an HKS funnel.

It looks like this:

http://www.japanparts.com/images/ImageFromDB.php?base=1&no=40338

Under your airbox, the front half has a round white plastic bubble attached to it. You take the bubble off and you insert the funnel.

The AEM panel filter goes where the OEM filter went.

If you look at my engine bay, everything looks as it did before the intake mod.

Old hunting adage...never shoot two game targets (birds, rabbits, whatever) at the same time...while you are retrieving the first one, the second one will get itself lost...

Since you made both changes at once....how do we know if it was the funnel or the filter that netted the most gain? :confused:

I cant guarantee it.

BUT

The main reason I got the funnel is because the first guy who tried it on an outback 3.6r measured intake temperatures. The intake temperature in several tries was about 3 degrees cooler when using the funnel.

The second reason I got it was to allow more air than just the flat snorkel up front. Although it seems to get cold air it looks a bit restrictive.

From past experience, I havent seen more than about 2hp from just a panel filter...and sometimes none.

Archived