LegacyGT.com

"Full Fuel System" periodic maintenance

Being relatively new to the forum I hope this is posted in the correct category.

I've had my '05 XT for just under 2 months and a couple weeks ago had it in to one of my local dealers for the less DIY-friendly aspects of the 90k maintenance. When I picked it up they said my fuel system service was due. I searched for and read a number of threads on fuel system maintenance. I couldn't find anything specifically on a recommended regularly scheduled Full Fuel System maintenance. The consensus on any fuel system service seemed to be that this was unnecessary, let alone a waste of money to have the dealer do it ($160 package).

I don't see anything in the owner's manual about this. My question: is this just a money-making package created by the dealer or is there something in the fuel system that actually needs attention on a regular basis?

I lost my last Outback due to the fuel valves on top of the gas tank and some of the emissions system piping deteriorating due to salt-promoted rust and dirt abrasion. I'm determined to keep this car maintained up to snuff as needed but obviously don't want to spend money on things that just aren't necessary or hire the dealer to do things I can take care of myself.

Just as a follow-up, here's what the brochure says is included in the service:

"Top engine cleaning service, injector cleaner and throttle body service."

Apparently this is to clean up carbon deposits on injectors, valves, and throttle plates. There's a picture of a "Full Fuel Service kit" showing 3 bottles of fluids shrink-wrapped together. My guess is that even if this is a needed service I can buy the kit or similar products from an auto parts store and put them in myself for a lot less money.

Let the dealer do it you need a very powerful air compressor and if you don't do it right on a pancake type engine they tend to seize up... A top end cleaning isn't even that important on pancake type engines either especially with only 90k miles they don't build up carbon like inline type engines or V style engines. If you are paranoid do it but as long as you are changing your fuel filter every 10k you are good to go.

I was under the impression that the fuel filter is in the gas tank and is not a serviceable item. Let's clarify this before the OP is led up a garden path.

This was my understanding as well. Fuel filter change was included in the list of items in the package 90k service but was listed "If applicable." I didn't see it on the invoice so I assume mine is included in one of the valves on/in the gas tank.

Fuel filter is in gas tank/attached to pump

What some places do is use a strong chemical solution at the hardlines/injectors to clean the injectors & valves, not dumping off the shelf stuff into your gas tank

I have seen the hard lines where the injectors are get packed with dirt over time, Ive seen where injectors get packed with dirt. Dont expect the filter to be a super fine mesh filtering filter.

I just dump a bottle of injector cleaner/fuel system cleaner I get at CostCo every month, a good preventive maintenance

5eat downshift rev match:):wub:

Powder coated wheels: completed:)

This is truly an impossible subject, IMHO.

Almost all cars will hit 200k on the stock, untouched injectors and fuel lines...signifying they never gunked up enough to even cause a notable decrease in flow or effectiveness.

But every once inawhile, you'll see an injector start to drip at 60-90-120k, or some problem with a deposit causing some rougher running. Maybe a cleaner would've helped, maybe it wouldn't have. Who knows?

In my opinion, shove a bottle of $10-15 concentrated cleaner into your fuel tank directly prior to your next oil change IF YOU JUST WANT THE PIECE OF MIND.

And then drive the snot out of the car for a good 15 minutes straight....high revs, WOT, engine braking, the whole bit. Then change your oil and go on your way.

You can never predict a bad tank of gas that'll gunk up your system, and no amount of preventative maintenance will help with that. Simply drive the car hard to keep it nice and clean, and maybe use some concentrate every once in awhile.

In my opinion, shove a bottle of $10-15 concentrated cleaner into your fuel tank directly prior to your next oil change IF YOU JUST WANT THE PIECE OF MIND.

And then drive the snot out of the car for a good 15 minutes straight....high revs, WOT, engine braking, the whole bit. Then change your oil and go on your way.

That change is looming in probably less than a month. It looks like Walmart has the best price on the Rotella 10W-40. With the money saved on not having the dealer do this service It'll pay for a bottle of cleaner and a number of oil changes and other things that are more important. I'll probably ask exactly what the service includes just to satisfy my curiosity and broaden my knowledge base.

You can never predict a bad tank of gas that'll gunk up your system, and no amount of preventative maintenance will help with that.

I think it was the service adviser at the dealer where I used to take our 1999 OB who, along with recommending 3k OCI's, also gave the advice to run good quality gas in the XT. Not sure exactly what he meant but I assumed he was suggesting staying away from the bargain off-brands with the assumption I was always using at least 91 octane.

Thanks Joe for your input on the matter. It is appreciated.

I don't do it every oil change or even that often but last time i did it I shoved like three bottles of that stuff down there, that stuff is such actual low concentrate once you fill up your tank it barley even touches the injectors or gets near it.

So is it true that all 2005+ Legacys have no fuel filter that can be or needs to be serviced?

As far as I can find, yes this is true. I can't find a listing, or even the part under the car on my fiance's 05 Outback, and well same goes for my 07 LGT

If you are paranoid do it but as long as you are changing your fuel filter every 10k you are good to go.

This isn't a Ford. The fuel filter is non-serviceable and is located inside the fuel pump. In addition, it can not be purchased separately. It is part of the whole assembly.

Opie: have the dealer present you the Subaru recommended service items. Decide for yourself which you want to do besides those. Everything else is overhead and a money-making scheme for the dealer.

90K calls for replacement of coolant, oil, oil filter, brake fluid, cabin filter and inspection of tranny fluid and diff fluids. If you want to feel comfortable, replace the tranny and diff fluids.

Opie: have the dealer present you the Subaru recommended service items. Decide for yourself which you want to do besides those. Everything else is overhead and a money-making scheme for the dealer.

Yesterday I was in for something else and asked what was done for the Full Fuel System Service. He didn't mention using a compressor or any manual cleaning. It sounded like they just dump in the 3 products and run them through somehow and then make sure the throttle plates, idle air control, and throttle cable are all adjusted and clean. Doesn't sound like $160 worth of work to me.

90K calls for replacement of coolant, oil, oil filter, brake fluid, cabin filter and inspection of tranny fluid and diff fluids.

Between the time I got the car 2 months ago and now I either did these myself or had them done since there's no record of service for the most recent 30k miles on the car. I now know what's in the car and that all the fluids are Subaru.

So the tranny fluid was already changed?

Yes. I just had the tranny fluid replaced. The dealer has a package "deal" that includes that along with also changing the coolant, differential oil, power steering and brake fluids along with some other things, some of which I had already done myself so I got a discount on the package. It was at that time that they recommended the Full Fuel System service as a future item, along with a couple CV boots that needed doing and front brake rotors. I'm still hassling with the Kia dealer where I bought the car (May 6) over those last 2 items since the car has an after-market drive train warranty up to 100k and the brakes were supposed to have at least half of their expected life remaining. I just picked up a bottle of Techron yesterday so I'm ready to "drive the snot out" of my car in a few weeks before I change the oil.

When I checked out with the Techron, the guy behind the counter asked if I was partial to that product. I told him it would be my first time but that it was recommended by people on an internet forum. Don't know what he had in mind because he let it drop at that.

Most of the off-the-shelf stuff you find at gas stations are useless, there are better ones you can get such as BG44K or the stuff Amsoil sells. That's what I was told anyway. If you run gas from Top Tier stations such as Shell, BP etc you shouldn't have to run the cleaner but hey, it doesn't kill if you do :)

If you run gas from Top Tier stations such as Shell, BP etc you shouldn't have to run the cleaner but hey, it doesn't kill if you do :)

I've been running quite a bit of Sunoco since they are the only ones in my areas that have 91. Probably about equal in the amount I use it is Hess because they are the least expensive in my areas for Premium 93. Like you say, I figured it won't hurt to run the Techron through and see if there's any noticeable difference.

Archived