LegacyGT.com

What choice of USDM engine equal length headers are there?

edkwon

So far a quick search has only revealed headers manufactured by Perrin. Anyone have them installed or can attest to their quality? Any better choices?

btw i already have a full cobb turboback, perrin TMIC, stock intake, stock fuel system and stg II protune.

I've already picked up a VF40 18G, planning to upgrade fuel pump (maybe injectors), new CAI, and definitely a repeat protune. I think added ELH to that formula will make for some good gains, plus i'm sick of the boxer rumble and want to make my car sound a little more classy and inconspicuous.

Honestly, every time i hear an uncatted boxer rumble from 3 blocks away and see yet another modded Sti roll down the street, i feel embarassed, and i don't want to be associated with that anymore.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I happen to be selling some Perrin EL headers right now. They worked great and I don't want to sell them, but I can't justify fully modding out 2 cars at once. Since I race my 2.5RS WAY more than the Outback I am selling some stuff off the Outback to put $$$ into the RS.

Here are my observations from the Perrin EL header:

1.) The sound was of a higher pitch (and of course you loose the Boxer rumble) It was not any quieter than the stock headers though, just a different note. I personally liked it....when I revved way up it sounded mean. I even had a few people (non-subaru people BTW) tell me how they liked it.

2.) My car pulled quite a bit more from 4K and above. It seemed to rev more freely and did give me some power, but not too much. Like 10-15 HP. This was also with out a pro-tune, just an off the shelf tune. I think I could have got a little more power out of my setup if I got a custom tune.

3.) I ran with them how they came from the factory. No wrap or coating. If I was to do it again, I would wrap them and also wrap my oil filter in heat reflecting tape....the headers do come close to the oil filter.

If you don't care about header bling, my Perrins would be perfect for you. :)

Here is my for sale thread: http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=92014

:icon_twis Slide It Sideways :icon_twis

So far a quick search has only revealed headers manufactured by Perrin. Anyone have them installed or can attest to their quality? Any better choices?

btw i already have a full cobb turboback, perrin TMIC, stock intake, stock fuel system and stg II protune.

I've already picked up a VF40 18G, planning to upgrade fuel pump (maybe injectors), new CAI, and definitely a repeat protune. I think added ELH to that formula will make for some good gains, plus i'm sick of the boxer rumble and want to make my car sound a little more classy and inconspicuous.

Honestly, every time i hear an uncatted boxer rumble from 3 blocks away and see yet another modded Sti roll down the street, i feel embarassed, and i don't want to be associated with that anymore.

so the sound of these WRX/STI's exhaust makes them douchebags? nice generalization jackass

and good luck making your car sound like a Porsche with those equal length headers haha. If you ask me all the flat-6's from porsche sound like freakin vacuum cleaners anyways

so the sound of these WRX/STI's exhaust makes them douchebags? nice generalization jackass

so i'm supposed to change my mind and like the sound because i hurt your feelings? my aren't you self centered. get over yourself.

what about the wbr? It looks like a quality piece? Any issues with those?

can't help but quote this site that has the tomei..

"The Tomei Expreme exhaust manifold for the Subaru EJ25 provides improved performance with expreme quality." why can't people just do a little marketing improvements like... spelling extreme correctly.

aside from that i might be up for a elh header toss up either wbr or tomei since i want to lose the flex section if i do go with headers.

2008 6mt Legacy Gt Spec B DGM - Not so Stock/Work in progress

2006 5mt Legacy Gt OBP - Sold

2005 5eat Legacy Gt OBP - RIP

R.I.P Coxx

hey

I would only recommend two for you:

perrin equal-length

or

Tomei expreme equal-length (includes an uppipe too)

I would get ceramic coating with either choice, no wrap.

Thanks i already have a set of Perrin ELH lined up. Definitely going with the ceramic coating.

btw do all the aftermarket headers use standard OEM gaskets? I assume the hookup points are all the same.

Thanks i already have a set of Perrin ELH lined up. Definitely going with the ceramic coating.

btw do all the aftermarket headers use standard OEM gaskets? I assume the hookup points are all the same.

Hookup points?

At the block there is no choice, stock gaskets.

At the turbo, turbo decides.

But in between, the APS uses the same three bolt gasket as the block requires for both the block (of course) and the up pipe section of the APS header assy. There is no better.

Not to ameliorate whatsoever the paranoia of those who "read" and "hear" of "Bad Things" about headers, but my APS system has from the beginning impressed me. After two years of hammering I'm still waiting to deal with all the grief I'm supposed to be having. Meanwhile I enjoy a superior power output.

Hookup points?

At the block there is no choice, stock gaskets.

At the turbo, turbo decides.

But in between, the APS uses the same three bolt gasket as the block requires for both the block (of course) and the up pipe section of the APS header assy. There is no better.

Not to ameliorate whatsoever the paranoia of those who "read" and "hear" of "Bad Things" about headers, but my APS system has from the beginning impressed me. After two years of hammering I'm still waiting to deal with all the grief I'm supposed to be having. Meanwhile I enjoy a superior power output.

Two years? I have been beating on my headers for 3 years, no blow-uppy. And I want mine to blow up, so I can justify buying some ELH!

Ed, if you want a Synic Header let me know. My friend is the owner.

Synic headers look very similar to what BoostJunkie is planning on offering. Are they partnering?

Synic

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48451

BoostJunkie

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74841&highlight=equal+length+header

Archived