LegacyGT.com

New snow tires for the season

quick4dr

Been taking a liking to Michelin X-ice3

225/45/17 or 215/50/17 stock wheels

Opinions or other suggestion?

Currently have Dunlop 3D on there last season I've liked them, but the new 4d is too expensive

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While picking up another (non-subaru) car of mine from Tire Discounters yesterday, the General Manager said that Michelin X-Ice's are nice, but nothing can beat Bridgestone Blizzak's. They have a "Performance Winter" tire, for areas that get inconsistent snowfall -- times with dry pavement, as well as a "Snow/Ice" tire that's designed for areas that are almost constantly covered in snow.

May be worth adding to your list to research! I know I will be.

Thanks for the info! Which type of Blizzak's have you tried? Snow/Ice, or Performance Winter? I've never used any winter tires, so I can't speak personally on any of them.

I am interested to hear which is the best for a sedan.

I roll with General altimax arctics. Cheaper of the options but after 3 seasons they have driven in a blizzard, near12-14" of unplowed streets and countless areas of shimmering ice where I rarely ever felt slippage. Very predictable with where wanted to go and grab even when taking a turn at a slightly not as slow rate of speed.

im anti blizzak i have never liked their ride quality, nor find them to perform up to the level they should be.

X ice or 4ds, what size, 215/50 or 225/45

What do YOU want?

Ultimate snow and very good ice grip, not so good in dry and wet or decent dry and wet with good snow and not bad ice?

Krzys

working for honda/ acura for 3 years, and infiniti for 1.5 yrs ive been in countles model vehicles on almost every model blizzack. no mater which ive just never been impressed for the money.

I have personaly owned, my current Dunlop 3ds, which have kicked ass the last 5 NY winters and are just now on their last season.

Cooper weather masters- AWESOME, mercury mystique, and a 02 cougar

Nokian Hakkapalita = insane handled the torque steer of my Grand Prix GTP like a pro

I'm thinking of buying my first set of snow tires. Looking at the new Continental WinterContact SI. Does anyone know of any reviews? $123 each, $423 after rebate for 4 in 205/50 17.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Continental&tireModel=WinterContact+SI&sidewall=Blackwall&partnum=05HR7WCSIXL&tab=Sizes

The outgoing ExtremeWinterContact was also sold as the Viking Contact 5, but the new VC6 is totally different.

http://www.continental.no/www/dekk_til_no_no/themes/car_tyres/vinter/

Friends don't let friends drink cheap beer.

+1 for Nokian Hakkapeliittas. Absolute monsters in the winter, good tread life, and reasonably quiet. Us Canucks seems to like them a lot. They aren't the cheapest tires in the world but neither are Blizzaks.

Nokians might be worth the extra money if you live in an area that regularly sees lots of snow or isn't well plowed. R2s are close to $200 each/ ~$800 set vs $500-600 for WC SI, WS80 or XI3.

Only tire shops around here that even sell Nokian tires are STS. BS, Conti, Dunlop and Michelin are far easier to find.

Friends don't let friends drink cheap beer.

Those Nokians are nice.

I'm getting my second set of Yokohama Iceguards this winter.

225/65/16

How did you like the Yokohamas? I see that discount tire has them through their eBay Store for $160 off after instant and mail in rebates. That is making me consider other options than General Altimax Arctic for my 05 obxt.

I've used Continental EWC and they were fantastic, but they didn't wear as well as General Altimax Arctic tires. The generals are my go to for great performance without breaking the bank. I have them on my 14 FXT and I ran them last year on my 14 WRX.

I've used Cooper weather master tires and was wholly disappointed with them.

Current: 16 Crosstrek Premium w/ Eyesight & 05 Outback XT 5MT

Past Subies: 14 FXT Premium, 14 WRX hatch, 06 Legacy 2.5i SE 5MT, 98 Outback wagon

How did you like the Yokohamas? I see that discount tire has them through their eBay Store for $160 off after instant and mail in rebates. That is making me consider other options than General Altimax Arctic for my 05 obxt.

I've used Continental EWC and they were fantastic, but they didn't wear as well as General Altimax Arctic tires. The generals are my go to for great performance without breaking the bank. I have them on my 14 FXT and I ran them last year on my 14 WRX.

I've used Cooper weather master tires and was wholly disappointed with them.

I liked them a lot. Just trying to figure out which size this year. I drive on the highway a lot so studded aren't an option, and stud-able tire with out studs are way too stiff to be useful.

Buying winter tires for the first time in chilly/snowy Ottawa. Any help or comments would be great. I've narrowed down the most popular tires and now it's just a toss up between the following: Brands/Models.

Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2s

Gislaved Nordfrosts

General Altimax Arctics (which are apparently the same as the Gislaveds?)

Michelin XIce XI3

Bridgestone Blizzak WS80

I'm likely leaning towards the Hakkas. Any recommendations? Places to buy (or not buy?)

Thanks

Archived