LegacyGT.com

Found a second gen LGT with a blown motor. She said it didn't fully over heat but was "just passed 3/4 from the bottom of the heat gaugey thingie." before she pulled over and turned it off. It wouldn't start after that, just turns over. When I got there to look at it, I put a charge on it(it'd been sitting for 3 months) and when I had her turn it over there WAS LOUD NOISES! for about a second, HUGE KNOCK.

I'm picking it up tomorrow after work. This will probably turn into my commuter car, so I'm looking at swaps. I know, there's information everywhere, and that's part of the problem, I'm getting mixed signals.

I just want a naturally aspirated 2.5, 2.2 or 2.0 with low miles that I can literally just drop in and connect everything up. Finding a low miles EJ25D is near impossible I've found, and they can be pricey. I was looking at trying to find a low miles JDM NA EJ20D. Will this engine work with the body harness and ECU, etc? Is it...plug and play? If not, is there another engine more readily available in low(er) miles that is?

what year is your car?

low miles is a relative thing.

if yours has 250k, then 175k could be low miles.

the most popular, easiest swap is the 95 ej22 from an auto trans car. it will have the needed EGR.

but with a little work, and the right parts, you can use a 96 - 98 ej22 w/ EGR, (usually auto trans car).

i have no experience with the ej20D so i cant' say.

look for engines here:

Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market

you need an obd2 ej22 w/ egr for a plug and play swap.

95 - 98 most auto trans ej22s have EGR, but maybe not all, you have to confirm that.

the 95 is the best, easiest.

96 is the next , imho, because it, like the 95 is non-interference.

but you will need to get the matching exhaust y-pipe, they changed the exhaust ports in the heads in 96.

97 - 98 are just like 96, look for egr, and you need the exhaust y-pipe,

but they are interference engines.

they ALL will plug and play on the ej25 ECU, no problem.

having said all of that, 95 - 98 w/ EGR (maybe y-pipe),

there is a way to install a non-egr engine and not have a CEL.

but you asked for easy-peasy plug and play bolt it in and hook it up, and drive.

and in theory you could use a 90 - 94 engine if you used a 95 - 98 intake manifold,

but by the time you buy both, you probably will have spent more than buying the right engine.

Archived