LegacyGT.com

Heat wrap...

SubieBlkOut

Any locals have a little extra heat wrap laying around for exhaust? I need to isolate my downpipe from touching my frame in one little spot and I was thinking if I just wrap that spot so at least its not metal on metal it would work.

Thanks guys,

Sean

I am now thinking that this won't work. I went to home depot and got a plumbing heat cloth that is good up to 2000+ degrees and it worked like a charm for a day. The problem is that the part of the frame the pipe is touching is somewhat sharp so it just cut right though the cloth. I am thinking I need to find a more professional solution.

Open to ideas...

Ya ya Nick, I know I went the cheap route. But I think I can, as bad as it sounds, bend the frame and or pipe a little to get some clearance. The part of the frame looks like a brace support for the front tires and it is bent in a U shape that opens downward. It is touching one of the lips of the U. My buddy has pipe benders but I am not sure how much I want to mess around with that.

I will try to get a picture of it this weekend.

It is an HKS made for a WRX and modified for the LGT. Needless to say I got it at a steal with a up pipe. It is a one piece down and mid pipe, 3" cattless steal pipe.

I have thought about getting one that fits better because I know I won't pass emissions right now. But I still have a year and a half till thats due again.

Ya ya Nick, I know I went the cheap route. But I think I can, as bad as it sounds, bend the frame and or pipe a little to get some clearance. The part of the frame looks like a brace support for the front tires and it is bent in a U shape that opens downward. It is touching one of the lips of the U. My buddy has pipe benders but I am not sure how much I want to mess around with that.

I will try to get a picture of it this weekend.

No worries about going the cheap route sean, I have every single chance I have been able to. That aside, I wouldn’t bend any sub frame parts to accommodate the DP, if you can bend the dp go for it. You could always get a megan catless dp, I think they are under 200$.

You coming to drop in tonight?

I wouldn't try to bend the pipe, it will probably f'ed up rest of the exhaust's alignment. Try grinding down what you can from the brace then try the heat wrap again. Double up the heat wrap and hopefully the brace is not shape enough anymore to cut through the wrap.

Not going to make drop in. Going up to the mountains tonight with the girlfriend for some slope time tomorrow.

I like the grinding idea. That part of the Abram looks like it won't hurt to loose a little metal. I don't want to bend the pipe but I was thinking out all possibilities...plus I have access to some nice commercial equipment.

Looks like so more lift time is in my future.

• 2 weeks later...

So I am planning on finally fixing this this weekend but still have not come up with a great solution.

I found this pic of the under body strut to show you guys where I am having the problem (This is not my car). Right were the pipe make the bend to go level to the ground to go to the back of the car it is hitting the support.

What do you guys think I could do about this?

Thanks,

Sean

underbar.JPG.44bc0751552debd6d23d725db110d572.JPG

Archived