LegacyGT.com

Megan Coil Clunk

Fabius

Ok so...

The coils are amazing love them to death but now Im getting a clunk on the rear passenger side. I clueless as of what the noise is coming from. I have searched the forms and usually the clunks are coming from aftermarket sways. I dont have aftermarket sways, so could someone kinda fill me in on what it might be?

The coil on the rear passenger seems to hold firm so the shock isnt blown, I havent gotten underneath the car yet but the 2 top screws are tight could there be a loose screw? A damn Toronto pot hole let something loose?

A clunk from the rear is pretty odd. Double check torque on all the nuts, top and bottom and the top nut on the shock shaft. It may not even be the coilovers. The sway bar may be causing the clunking as well. Try lubing the sway bar bushings and check torque on the endlinks.

This is going to sound stupid, but did you remove the MR nuts from the top hat before you installed the coilover?

Easy to check. Look at the exposed threads from inside the trunk; there sould be enough thread to fit another nut on top. If there isn't...

My installer did that. I had to remove the coilovers to remove the nuts.

• 2 weeks later...

sorry ive been away for a while.

Im going to go get set up for the winter soon so ill raise the car again raise the rear a bit and go on from there. Im pretty sure we havent left the nuts on the top hat :lol: but if we did ohh mann...

no im pretty sure they have been removed, ill keep you guys updated. if anybody has any other ideas please shoot me a msg.

I have a clunk in my ksports right now. I was thiking that something was loose so I've been trying to chase down loose bolts or nuts and keep coming up empty.

Then I was driving home the other day and was thinking about my mountain bike when I set the rebound too high and the dampening too low. The spring forces the stanchion to fly to the top of its travel and "top out" too quickly and cause a "clunk".

I think I might have the spring pre load on my coilovers too high, or the springs might be too stiff for the valving.

Just something else to thik about and try.

Ah, forgot you are an OBXT, hence looking for more ride height.

You are right, this is why many coilovers like the KW Var. 2's, Bilstein PSS9's, the Subaru Bilsteins, have the tender springs to prevent clunking of this kind.

• 7 months later...

sorry to bring back the dead.

I have MR coilovers installed recently. When zero preload, rear 2 suspensions clunk. When 50lb preload, all 4 suspensions clunk. Any suggestion to fix the clunking?

hey fabius, and captain, did you guys solve your clunking problem?

The clunk on the KSports is usually the top nut. I used an impact to get it down tight, and I've had zero clunks.

where is this top nut ? is it on the pillowball join ? or is it one of the 2 nuts holding strut on to lower control arm?

belive it or not the clunk is caused by the bottom lock screw or getting loose threw road vibartions. When that happens the coil starts to play around a bit. Its an easy fix and it doesnt really happen that offen.

Archived