LegacyGT.com

Extreme cold cracking winshield?

Neltech

Went out this morning and saw a huge crack in my windshield. Starts right around where the vin number starts and travels all the way along the bottom of the windshield right along the windshield wiper defroster pad areas, the starts turning upwards at the very end of the windshield on the passenger side and stops.

It was probably -10 to -15 last night and I had my remote start on timer mode (starts every 3 hours). I only have the rear defrost hooked up to my starter, not the mirror/wiper defroster.

My car is parked directly in front of my garage, no ice or anything could have fallen on it and I could find no impact where the crack could have started at.

Anyone hear of this?

What may have happened is you got a rock chip or small nick in your windshield on the highway at some point. As condensation settles inside and then freezes, it expands and creates a crack. This is why it's important to get the rock chips filled ASAP if your insurance covers it.

• 2 weeks later...
Oddly enough, this happened to me a few weeks ago as well. I only got nervous when the repair guy started getting noticeably annoyed because I had wiper defrost option and he didn't think he could get one in time. But he had one in the other van (thankfully).

Archived