LegacyGT.com

P2088 code help

I have an 05 GT (wagon) getting a p2088 after replacing the drivers side (bank2) head. Code is for bank 1 OCV circuit open. Valve, wiring, etc. checks OK swapping OCV with Bank 2 has same code no change. Car runs fine, great in fact. Any ideas?

Under the turbo theres a banjo bolt. Theres a filter in it if it hasnt already been removed. That supplies your turbo and avcs. Thought your code is not a common one for oil starvation but its never a bad idea to check the filter since the life of your turbo and avcs could be at stake. Seeing as you already swapped ocv and still got the code means its something else, and usually lack of oil will cause it to malfunction.

The ecu is trying to control the ocv and at the same time monitors camshaft position, whatever the ecu's doing is not showing proper changes in camshaft speed- means either oil is not being directed into the cam(bad solenoid) or theres not enough oil in the valve to begin with(oil feed problem).

The valve controls the amount of oil that fills the inside of the camshaft to increase the weight of the shaft causing slight delays in rotational timing, thus AVCS, and the ecu controls the valve. So since you swapped it out already to test, its probably not the valve itself.

ok thanks I will check that I did check banjo bolt on top of Turbo and cleaned it but it was just a hole no filter on it. Do I have to remove the turbo to get the the one on the bottom? ill go look here in a few minutes. Thanks again im hitting a wall here....

• 2 weeks later...

Do you have the service manual ?

Have you tried flushing the oil system. Subaru makes a motor flash, it's like $19.00 for the can at the parts counter. Or I mainly use Gunk motor flush a couple of times a year.

Have you googled the code and read some of the results. Seems Mazda's have this issue too.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

WIN! Thx for the manual link enlisted a friends help in Santa Fe NM and got it traced down to the harness under the dash, if I put my ECM cover plate on code comes back. Will post an update when I isolate it.

oh btw Forced Performance OCV line kit was crap IMO lines were to short unless I put T-fitting on back of the head which is blocked by stock turbo coolant line. Bought a normal T-fitting at local shop and 10 inch steal braided line, works great now!

Can you fill us in as to how the wires could have come loose ?

Were you playing around down there ?

I see logical reason for these wires to just come loose by themselfs.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

A shop put the bank 2 head on, took them over a month and finally just took it with cel on. They had put dielectric grease in the pigtail connector coming off ocv. Cam position sensor was flopping around it was so loose. My guess is that cam sensor was causing the code then they tried solving it with that grease which shorted the wires together (tons of that grease in the connector) I think they pulled the wires loose, not sure however....

Archived