LegacyGT.com

Cobb stage 1.5- NOW what??

Whats good Legacy fam?

Soooooo i finally found an 06' LGT with leather interior AND a 5 speed!:wub::wub: Sooo pumped up!!

Anyhow I've had her for a couple days now, got a Cobb cai with the purchase, and found an Cobb AP V3. I installed both last night- and set her to Stage1+ 91...

NOW- I have a Cobb down pipe to install along with a fancy TaipanXP aussie up pipe, and want to add a BOV (likely 50/50 to keep it from the lean shifts ive read about) what else do i need to take her to the next stage on the Cobb AP?

ALSO- is it best practice to download the MAP you want to run THEN get it tuned by a professional? or is that only for the folks pushing bigger and badder turbos??

As you can tell im pretty much a noob, just trying to add some life to the skinny pedal and have a sound FUN dd.. thanks in advance for any input!

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fwiw, I've used the search function... if this is the wrong forum- maybe the Turbos etc forum gets more looks?

I've done a ton of reading and just want to have a little open dialogue about the next steps- I don't think I'm at the new injectors or fuel conversion step yet right?! Lol

Wg? Bov? Ebc?

I plan on diving into the up and down pipe install tomorrow.. or maybe later tonight.. need, more, power!!

An EBC isn't a waste of money, but not needed on the stock turbo if you have a good tuner. BOV and WG are also not needed. Your next step is a new TMIC - check out grimmspeed or processwest. a protune is a very good idea at any stage.

when you upgrade the turbo, look for a vf52 or similar, you'll need bigger injectors and a fuel pump to go with that, and at this point an EBC wouldn't be a bad idea IMO.

If you go downpipe make sure you are running cobb stage 2 map. Id suggest against a bov because its just noise. In terms of tunning, you pay the tuner and they send you a map. Depends on dyno or etune. The stuff you have plus a custom stage 2 tune will give you plenty of fun to live with .

I bought an auto be more involved in my uninvolvedness . 200k+ Club

If you can't blind them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit.

My high mileage turd.

Appreciate the info guys!!

I've put under 100miles on her but have the mod bug like crazy!!

From my research, and straight from GFB's description- a BOV would help with turbo lag? It's pricey, but to be 100% honest... I reeeeally DIG the sound. :redface:

Does it not help with boost at all? I thought a 30 atmospheric/ 70 recirculating setting would give me the benefits plus a little "noise" as a bonus?

I agree that at stage 2 map/custom I'll be pretty satisfied for a while.. as I collect parts.

Is an upgraded tmic suggested at this stage? Is the stock one junk or what's up with that?? The plastic is no good but I didn't know it was a hindrance

"GFB TMS Response Hybrid Blow Off Valve

Fitment:

2002-2007 WRX

2004-2014 STi

2004-2008 Legacy GT

2004-2008 Forester XT.

The Go Fast Bits Respons blow-off/bypass valve system for Subaru is much more than simply a noise maker or a factory valve replacement. The Go Fast Bits Respons valve features the GFB Turbo Management System (TMS), designed specifically for the purpose of turbo lag reduction. Go Fast Bits in-house testing facilities have measured a return to peak boost up to 30% faster between shifts than most factory systems, giving you quicker on-off boost response and faster effective acceleration potential. The Go Fast Bits Response bypass valve features their patented adjustable venting system, allowing you to adjust the sound and vent volume on your valve like a stereo volume control. Vent or recirculate your boost and turn up or down your Respons volume as you see fit! The unique Respons adjustability allows you to fine tune your turbo system for better drivability while still getting the traditional atmosphere venting noise. Leave those little noise makers behind and upgrade to a system tunable to your Subaru without triggering that dreaded check engine light and compromising daily drivability...."

Just clever marketing? Says all the right things that's for sure Lmao

I would bet money you would have no performance gain with the GFB BOV compared to your stock one at your current power levels. once you go bigger turbo, maybe... there is a lot of info on the stock TMIC on this forum, I'm sure you'll find more info on that topic. I still stand by my recommendation.

>$800 (new) is the going rate for a quality TMIC or FMIC for any gen subaru I've owned from an 02 wrx, to the legacy, to a 15 wrx.

I don't think the stock TMIC has much trouble at 18psi or below, but when you upgrade the turbo, it will really time to do the intercooler as well. a lot of people have good results with the "bulletproof" kit, but I haven't done one personally.

I would bet money you would have no performance gain with the GFB BOV compared to your stock one at your current power levels. once you go bigger turbo, maybe... there is a lot of info on the stock TMIC on this forum, I'm sure you'll find more info on that topic. I still stand by my recommendation.

i have a turbo smart kompact and a cobb xle that will say throttle response is stronger with them. makes the car a bit more responsive even with turbo smart green spring. i tried the pink spring and it was even more so.

cobb is adjustable. i havent finished playing with it yet though.

i got dyno tuned with the kompact and got up to 29mpg. 28mpg one day without even trying.

>$800 (new) is the going rate for a quality TMIC or FMIC for any gen subaru I've owned from an 02 wrx, to the legacy, to a 15 wrx.

I don't think the stock TMIC has much trouble at 18psi or below, but when you upgrade the turbo, it will really time to do the intercooler as well. a lot of people have good results with the "bulletproof" kit, but I haven't done one personally.

an avo is 700 and has the throttle hose with it.

700<800

The general consensus is that the money spent on a bov is spent better somewhere else. Bulletproof or replace the stock intercooler or it might separate at higher boost. Check out peoples build threads to see what people are running with different parts.

My high mileage turd.

• I Donated Too
BOV is generally a bad idea anyway and not recommended at all unless you are tuned to eliminate the MAF and that usually means having gone speed density and the upgraded 4 bar MAP sensor.

I'll have to look into this "bulletproofing"... I CAN hear the stock bpv more now, but have always been a sicker for the BOV sound. I definitely don't want to drop THAT kind of coin, 250+ on an adjustable unit, if it's going to do more harm then good... just always wanted a scoob w one

Luckily I watched a few vids before jumping into the up and down pipe install... while it's rather straight forward and definitely in my wheel house, I got my pipes "used" this have no new gaskets! Sob, almost over looked that- until it woulda been to late at least.

Pretty sure oem isn't the best option... google time I guess

You can reuse the gaskets but its best to change them. Get some grimmspeed extra thick ones and you'll be set.

My high mileage turd.

So where is location 505 ?

At least your asking questions here before you spend your money.

Slow down a bit.

The OEM gasket at turbo to up/down pipe's are fine, I use the GS 2X thick at the DP to stock midpipe on my wagon.

Read my sig learn how much oil your car uses.

My son removed the silencer under the air filter back in Aug 2004 on the wagon, that will increase the sound of the BOV for free. With the catless up pipe and DP my vf52 is pretty loud when it spools and when the stock BOV releases pressure from the GS tmic.

Also look at removing the filter from the banjo bolt on the back of the passenger side head while the up pipe is out.

Replace the oil return hose from the turbo while its off.

I bolt the turbo to the up pipe, its easier to line everything up. Leave the turbo lose on the up pipe until your tmic is installed the bolts tightened.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• I Donated Too
Hey Max. ZERO oil used on my 05 Wagon (stock) and definitely none on my built motor in the 05 sedan and zero oil on my 2012 WRX either... my 2.5i likes to sip a little between changes... BUT it's not every car!

Thanks for all the info guys!

505 is the land of entrapment boss, New Mexico... we have green chile and Jackson's MMA tho!! Lmao

So 1. By oem at turbo to up/down pipes.. that means get new oem locally, not reuse the ones in there right?

2. The only one worth upgrading is the down to mid? That's technically the easiest to get to right?

3. Watching YouTube peeps remove everything that connects to the bottom of the uppipe from the engine- so that'd be 2 more gaskets with a total of 4 for up pipe, 2 for down pipe... right? Local parts store should be OK for these? Then when I get around to cat back I can do a GS or equivalent at the down to mid right?

4. I've already read and posted on the banjo bolt filter issue and definitely plan on deleting that hoe while Im in there

5. The oil return hose... replace with a precut oem, or just equal length and diameter hose?

6. And lastly what's good with the wide band L1/L2? Is it necessary for my stage 2 goals?

When I installed my Cobb CAI I removed the silencer too... didn't know that's what it was, but it's gone!

At least your asking questions here before you spend your money.

Slow down a bit.

:yeahthat:

I donated to LegacyGT.com which allows me to have this nifty signature. :p

If anything SCASEYS posts ever becomes a sticky i'm gonna light this whole place on fire :lol:

• I Donated Too

stock air box behaves way better than the Cobb CAI I'm afraid - you got sold a marketing gimmick but if it makes you happy...

You don't NEED a wideband yet but it will tell you if something is off with fuel and since you've gone and messed up the intake with a 'CAI' it's not a bad thing.

The rest I am struggling to understand your quaint English. By? Buy? What? Gaskets?

You might be able to reuse stock gaskets if you coat them in copper spray gasket but replace them all for best chance of success.

down to mid? Downpipe? It's not too difficult... The uppipe can be a bitch. What's the question?

What's wrong with your oil 'return' hose? To what? Turbo? That's an oil feed... return dumps right out of the bottom of turbo as low pressure through a fat rubber pipe. If you want better hoses then I like Forced Performance's fittings and they have a good filter and look nicer but Infamous sells some too http://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php/infamous-performance-and-tuning-111.html which look like a grey garden hose... but maybe he's got something nicer looking these days. Personal choice, they all work if you install them properly.

Archived