LegacyGT.com

Engine shuttering to the point of almost stalling

When I was driving today my car seemed to shutter to almost the point of stalling. I replaced my air filter yesterday and thought maybe I didn't get it sealed up right. I got it home and plugged my code reader into it. No CEL ever came on but the a warnings light for the catalyst monitor, the evaporative system monitor, and the oxygen sensor monitor did flash. Does anyone have an idea of what it might be? Im sure the misses would want me to be sure before I drop the money on parts I don't need and having information before I go to the shop im sure will be helpful. We have a baby due in December and don't want to spend what we don't have to. Thank you all for your help.

Clean the MAF sensor.

Add a bottle of Gunk engine cleaner to the oil and start the car for 5 min's then change oil and filter. Subaru has a engine cleaner but its like $20.

Have you ever removed the banjo bolt filter?

This issue is kind of what happened before I got the P0011 and P0021 CEL.

How did the engine run a few day's ago ? I'm guessing it ran fine.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Stock filter or aftermarket? Also, did you recently reset the ecu (eg. disconnect the battery)?

I replaced it with an STP filter, I live about an hour away from a dealer and rarely make it up there. I have used an STP in the past and never had any issues. It is the stock square filter style, no aftermarket parts on the car at all. I have not disconnected the battery since replacing my spark plugs back in April.

Clean the MAF sensor.

Add a bottle of Gunk engine cleaner to the oil and start the car for 5 min's then change oil and filter. Subaru has a engine cleaner but its like $20.

Have you ever removed the banjo bolt filter?

This issue is kind of what happened before I got the P0011 and P0021 CEL.

How did the engine run a few day's ago ? I'm guessing it ran fine.

Are you referring to this with the engine cleaner? http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/Gunk-Motor-flush/_/N-260b?itemIdentifier=523555_0_0_

I have never removed the banjo bolt but it was suppose to be removed when I had my engine rebuilt after blowing a turbo. I have about 15k on the engine since rebuild. It did run fine a few days ago.

maybe rough idle is due to air cleaner box not being closed fully, the intake hose isn't seated properly, or the stp air filter is causing problems. I'd try re-seating the air filter, or just switching to a stock subaru air filter.

the flashing monitors on your code reader may be due to you possibly clearing codes? if so, that will also clear all your readiness monitors, and they will take a little time to be set again.

BtSsm - Android app/Bluetooth adapter. LV, logging, gauges and more. For 05-14 Legacy (GT, 2.5, 3.0, 3.6), 02-14 WRX, 04-14 STi, 04-14 FXT, 05-09 OBXT

Are you referring to this with the engine cleaner? http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/Gunk-Motor-flush/_/N-260b?itemIdentifier=523555_0_0_

I have never removed the banjo bolt but it was suppose to be removed when I had my engine rebuilt after blowing a turbo. I have about 15k on the engine since rebuild. It did run fine a few days ago.

Yes, Gunk Motor flush, it will help clean the Oil Control Valves on the heads.

My new engine, I had both banjo filters removed. I want the most oil flow I can get. Dirty oil is better than no oil. I use good oil filters so I'm not worried.

It's hard to say what caused your issues without a live data down load.

Start with the easy stuff. Air filter box. But if it ran good the other day, the air box should be fine. But start checking the easy things.

Can you do simple things yourself ? Can you change your oil ? I know some places won't let you work on your car.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Can you do simple things yourself ? Can you change your oil ? I know some places won't let you work on your car.

Yes I can do simple things myself. I am changing my oil as soon as I get the kiddies from school. If I can not do things in my driveway (due to lack of tools) I go to the shop my mom manages, where I am free to work on my car after hours.

I tried a bunch of the DIY stuff on here to resolve my low idle/stalling issue in my auto. I also had a bit of cabin rock while stopped. Turned out I had bad compression in 2 cyl.

Depending on how badly you want to fix this all. I'd just to spend the $100 to have a shop to a compression/leak down test before I started buying things to replace a motor rebuild.

Does it only idle rough and then run fine if you give it gas? If so, sounds like you may have vaccum leak. That's what happened to me a couple weeks ago when the pesky blow off valve line to the intake manifold hose popped off but that eventually threw me a manifold pressure CEL. If it's running rough all the time you have a different issue.

Archived