LegacyGT.com

Spc2125 Help Thread

Hello all,

I am starting this thread so I do not have to start millions of threads about noob questions. I will search first and if I cannot find my answer I will post in the thread. This is dedicated to ME so please no off topic tantrums so I can keep this thread clean.

First topic on hand is the two things I need to due before I register my car.

I need new tires and pads+rotors for the back.

I was quoted $450 for the brake job (seems high to me considering the parts cost only $175 tops)

Is there anybody in the Central MA area that would be willing to help me with the brake job. I could come to your house, bring a 6 pack, and tackle the job...

Also, because I need new tires I was thinking of switching to 225/45/18r instead of 215. Anybody have opinions on this? And any recommendations for tires. This is my DD and I have winters so my preference would be ALL SEASON because I probably will not get aftermarket rims for now.

Thank you in advance!

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • I Donated Too

1.) Search is your friend

2.) Post up in the New England regional section about the brake job. There are a lot of guys up there that will do some work for beer.

For how to's on your brakes or just about anything, Youtube can be a good friend of yours.

I was looking at youtube and found some but the only part im worried about is bleeding the brakes. The other stuff is just unscrew and re-screw. plain and simple

• I Donated Too
I am just scared I am going to eff this up and it will cost me my life. Would rather have somebody who knows what they are doing, do it.

Either post up your request in the New England forum and get help or take it to a mechanic.

Also, I know a lot of people do mudflaps with their wrx and sti, but how about the LGT?

Cool or no?

Yes, we do it as well. Cool is subjective. I just installed a set and am still on the fence whether I like them or not. Opinions vary. Like I said before, 'search' is your friend.

Also, I know a lot of people do mudflaps with their wrx and sti, but how about the LGT?

Cool or no?

IMO No.

Brakes are easy, you don't need to bleed them unless you remove one of the brake hoses. Which you should not need to do.

You need a C clamp to push the piston back into the caliper and a decent set of tools, also a couple of 8mmx1.25 bolts to back the rotors off the hub.

Some PB Blaster and anti-seize compound.

I'll assume you have a floor jack and stands.

A torque wrench is good to have for the lug nut's. I torque them to 80ftlbs have I put anti-seize on the studs and nuts.

Also put the compound on the bolts that hold the caliper on.

Brake grease for the slider pins.

I spray the 8mm x1.25 bolts with the PB Blaster and put the compound on them before installing them in the rotors to remove them.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Contacted my cousin and he said he'd tackle the simple job with me.

Now I know you need a tune for every mod you do but right now Im thinking of what my first mod should be. Ive already looked at the free mod thread and the first mod thread.

Im going for show/sound for the time being.

Do intakes give any sound? Make the turbo more audible?

Would a cheap ebay one do the job?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Subaru-05-07-06-Legacy-GT-Cold-Air-Intake-Kit-Filter-/350492881622?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item519b00f2d6&vxp=mtr#ht_4167wt_1270

As Max Capacity said the stock intake flows really well and doesn't need to be replaced performance wise. Removing the silencer will give you some more sound. That being said I'm running a K&N and I enjoy the wooshing noises it gives me. You will need a tune when you put on an aftermarket intake (hopefully turbodog doesn't come beat me up for saying that). I'd recommend going with name brand products that have a good following, less headaches in the end.

As Max Capacity said the stock intake flows really well and doesn't need to be replaced performance wise. Removing the silencer will give you some more sound. That being said I'm running a K&N and I enjoy the wooshing noises it gives me. You will need a tune when you put on an aftermarket intake (hopefully turbodog doesn't come beat me up for saying that). I'd recommend going with name brand products that have a good following, less headaches in the end.

1 out of 1 turbodog disagree with this statement.

lol

I was looking at youtube and found some but the only part im worried about is bleeding the brakes. The other stuff is just unscrew and re-screw. plain and simple

You shouldnt need to bleed them. Also, a mallet my be needed if the rotors are corroded on. I had this problem with my dads '02 CR-v i did the brakes on.

Also, a mallet my be needed if the rotors are corroded on. I had this problem with my dads '02 CR-v i did the brakes on.

That's why you need 2 8mmx1.25 bolts and PB Blaster and anti-seize compound. THe bolt thread into the rotor and push it off the hub.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Also, because I need new tires I was thinking of switching to 225/45/18r instead of 215. Anybody have opinions on this? And any recommendations for tires. This is my DD and I have winters so my preference would be ALL SEASON because I probably will not get aftermarket rims for now.

Thank you in advance!

I'd go with 225/40R18 on the spec.B wheels. I ran this and it's a nice square setup with close to stock circumference.

Cool or no?

I'm not a fan of the Rally Armor style on our cars but I did get the OEM flaps to keep rocks from flinging all over the body after going to a more aggressive offset on my wheels and really like their subtle styling.

So because I like the "whoooosh" of the turbo I was thinking of getting a BOV.

BUT!!!!!!! I had read on wrxtuners.com that BOV's can actually screw up your car and make you run either rich or lean (i forget which).

However, what are people's opinions on them?

Search for intake silencer removal. My 05 with the oem BOV makes the whoosh sound.

I already have the silencer removed :)

On the wrx forums they kind of bashed BOV's and said that they make your car run like crap. So i was wondering if that was the case here as well.

And yes, I know they dont do anything and the stock BPV is better for my setup. But like I said, Im trying to find ways to increase that "whooshh" sound :p

Put a K&N filter in the stock box and take off the intake silencer (the box under the box) should just pop off. youll get some noise out of that but thats just intake noise

Already had taken the snorkus off

Archived