LegacyGT.com

Cruise control disengages in 05 LGT 5-spd wagon

Greetings LGT owners. I have a 2005 LGT wagon 5 speed with 140K on the clock. Mostly stock except for up pipe and oil pick up pipe. Runs great with one exception. Set the cruise control at 65MPH or higher and it holds for a mile or two then releases for no apparent reason. It seems to be related to speed--the faster you're going when you set the cruise the sooner it disengages. It also seems related to whether the car is going up or down hill. It's much more likely to disengage going uphill (when the engine is working harder). SO...HELP!!! Anyone out there had this problem? My mechanic is stumped. I may be reduced to a visit to the dealer (ugh+ :eek:) Many thanks in advance! John

• 2 weeks later...

You may need to thin the washer on the neutral safety switch. It's the upper switch on the side of the tranny.

That fixed mine when it would drop out of CC going down hill.

I had to grind it thinner twice. Since then it works all the time for years

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

You may need to thin the washer on the neutral safety switch. It's the upper switch on the side of the tranny.

Thank you for taking the time to post what worked for you. As it happens, I visit my mechanic tomorrow (on another matter). I'll share your suggestion with him. I'll post how this resolves. ;)

• 3 months later...

Had the issue just a little bit between 25,000 and 50,000 miles but it hasn't happened to me in a few years. Generally when going uphill on the highway. Made no effort to remedy it because it was inconsistent. May have been inadvertently solved at my 60,000 major service interval without my knowledge. Car was totally stock during the time of the issue. Not much help on solving, but it's definitely not your imagination. The cruise control really does just switch off.

I wonder if this is limited to 5 speed wagons. Wouldn't that be odd.

Yes, this seems to be in just the 5mt's

I seem to recall one 5eat years back but I think that was a TCU issue.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

The above is the only fix that works.:)

"Belief does not make truth. Evidence makes truth. And belief does not make evidence."

• 4 years later...
I have the cruise control issue. '05 LGT MT. I have been to the dealer a year ago. They reflashed ECM. Bit better but still bad in usual ways. I want to try the grinding of the neutral safety switch "washer". What is it made of? The factory manual describes it as a gasket and in a picture I found it is black like rubber. Thanks.

Its a metal crush type washer. It looks like it has two ends when you look at the side of it.

Just grind it down to about half the thickness.

Check the resistance of the switch while you're down there, my switch actually went bad. If I recall, the old switch was about 500ohm and a new one is closer to 5ohm when it's closed.

I noticed that mine does this when its really cold out down hills... i thought it was an annoying safety feature so people were not dying in the winter. Like if you think of what the engine is seeing its quickly seeing load to no load which could be you slipping on ice.

The mystery deepens. I took it back to the dealer to try and get to the bottom of the cruise control issue. On the way to the dealer, I more accurately diagnosed the symptoms. The cruise would hold 60mph, 70 but no higher. Looking at the car, the dealer thought that the RR wheel bearing was bad and couldn't troubleshoot the cruise control further until that was replaced. I had had the RR WB replaced 24k ago. I went back to the shop that had done that but even though it was over a year and under new owners they helped me out by testing the RR WB (they didn't think it bad) and then driving the car hooked up to their testing computer. The mechanic found a CO108 code. ABS sensor LH front bad signal. He cleared that and the cruise control worked at all speeds. It went back the original malfunction the next day, but at least I know where the problem is and the dealer agreed to go deeper in the diagnosis without changing the bad (?) wheel bearing. Thanks for your help.

So your going to replace the left front ABS sensor ? That should fix your problem.

I hope you've learned lesson here...use that local repair shop more often.

Just noticed your from Vail...lucky you, I assume you ski ?

Archived